Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Resonating with a Deity.. or 2.. or 5. How to approach them all?  (Read 1348 times)

Koudelka

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
What happens when you just resonate with a deity without feeling called to them? What do you do about that? How do you approach them? Can you try to work with them without them calling to you? I know people work with deities without being called to them, but how do they establish a relationship with them that way?

And if you do resonate with them, and "feel drawn to start approaching them personally", how do you keep up with the other deities? Especially the ones that called you in the first place?? I feel like I'm being pulled to many of them, but I can't even put my feet on the ground and start groundwork without knowing how. Any advice ya'll have for me?
My Jedi senses are tingling...

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
Re: Resonating with a Deity.. or 2.. or 5. How to approach them all?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 05:21:40 pm »
What happens when you just resonate with a deity without feeling called to them? What do you do about that? How do you approach them? Can you try to work with them without them calling to you? I know people work with deities without being called to them, but how do they establish a relationship with them that way?

And if you do resonate with them, and "feel drawn to start approaching them personally", how do you keep up with the other deities? Especially the ones that called you in the first place?? I feel like I'm being pulled to many of them, but I can't even put my feet on the ground and start groundwork without knowing how. Any advice ya'll have for me?

Can you explain the difference between "just resonating with a deity" and being "called" by that deity? I'm not sure what to say without that being clearly established.

As for the second question, it depends on which deities are involved. What works for one group may not for another.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Koudelka

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 10:02:54 pm »
Can you explain the difference between "just resonating with a deity" and being "called" by that deity? I'm not sure what to say without that being clearly established.

As for the second question, it depends on which deities are involved. What works for one group may not for another.

Resonating with them like something about them feels familiar, and right. Called is litterally getting smacked in the face with a "Hello I'm here now. Just thought I'd let you know."
My Jedi senses are tingling...

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 02:54:44 am »
Resonating with them like something about them feels familiar, and right. Called is litterally getting smacked in the face with a "Hello I'm here now. Just thought I'd let you know."
My experience is that not every deity makes a dramatic appearance. Feeling resonance is enough reason to work with a deity in my book. I'd not devout myself to them for the whole life at that point, I'd just work a while with them and look what happens (put a picture on the altar, make some offerings, research their myths and history etc.)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 09:18:58 am »

Feeling that sort of resonance is 100% of the relationship that is required to venerate a deity.  That is literally all you need.  You don't need to build anything beyond that.  You may never get anything beyond that.  That is okay.

Set up your shrine, make your offerings, figure out what you want to offer, and carry on.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 11:10:07 am »

As Darkhawk says, if you feel you resonate, and you feel you want to do something about that, you figure out what you want to do, and you do that thing.

What you want to do can be usefully informed by different things.

• What you're up for: practical limits in your life, commitments you've made to other deities already, things you know work well for you or not so well.
  • Research: what can you find out about what this deity seems to have liked in the past or from other people?
  • What fits with what you're already doing: sometimes there are some obvious connections or extensions
  • Possible resources in your local community or other spaces you know about: Who might have suggestions, existing ritual practices, etc.

How do you do juggling multiple friends or multiple projects or multiple social contexts? Some people are really comfortable with that, some people aren't, and many of the same issues apply to deities.

One thing this can illuminate usefully, is that it's possible to have different kinds of relationships with different beings.

It's really common for people who work with multiple deities to have one or two (maybe more) they talk to every day, a couple they do regular but occasional stuff with (every month to couple of months), a couple they see once or twice a year, and a couple they have an amiable 'I come to you for this specific thing you care about', like you'd see a doctor or lawyer or other professional (and you might really like them, in that interaction, you just don't spend a ton of time with them and it's pretty focused on Doing This Specific Thing.)

All of those can be meaningful relationship modes for people with other people. They're also potentially meaningful modes for deities. Depends on you. Depends on the specific deities. Depends on a bunch of other factors.

If you don't have a reasonably stable place to start from, it's okay to say to some of them "I'm really interested in exploring this further, but right now isn't a great time. Can I check back in a bit?"

People do that with new potential friends, or possible projects. It's possible to do that in a rude way, but it's also totally possible to do it in a way that wants to engage, just needs to rearrange things first. Deities are, in my experience, reasonably understanding about this.

(If they aren't, it's sometimes because there's something going on for you which is a Big Significant Thing, and that that deity particularly cares about. But it's really hard to tell that without a lot more data than you've shared here, so I'm tossing that out as a thing to think about, but you'll have to decide what applies to you.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: