collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Questions concerning God Parents/Divine Parents  (Read 1419 times)

Tay Redgrave

• Journeyman
  • Devil May Cry's a rockin'
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan (Heathen/Druid)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Questions concerning God Parents/Divine Parents
« on: October 27, 2013, 06:22:51 pm »
This seems like a weird place to put this thread but hey! So, when I say god parents or divine parents, I mean something like deities claiming to be your parent, or your relationship with them is on that parent-child level.

In my case, it's like that with Odin. I know the relationship I have with him will probably impact what aspects I see/encounter and more. It's kind of a confusing thing for me and so it raises a lot of questions for me like, what does the relationship entail or mean? Can or should there be similarities between Odin and I (and I can see some things, hah)? Are there a lot more people with this kind of relationship with deities (or any being, rather)?

How common is this sort of relationship?

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
Re: Questions concerning God Parents/Divine Parents
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 11:27:54 pm »
Quote from: Lokadyne;127212
So, when I say god parents or divine parents, I mean something like deities claiming to be your parent, or your relationship with them is on that parent-child level.

What does the relationship entail or mean? Can or should there be similarities between Odin and I (and I can see some things, hah)? Are there a lot more people with this kind of relationship with deities (or any being, rather)?

I'll re-post a post I made from a similar thread on this topic.  

In many ancient hymns and prayers the Kemetic deities are referred to as Mother and Father or even both (*looks at Nit and Khnum*). As one creation story dictates, we are children of the gods. Humans were created from either Ra or the Eye of Ra's tears (which came about out of either joy or rage, depending on the myth).

As for myself, I have referred to Aset as Mother and she was called such in antiquity. I have a parent/child relationship with my goddess. She has reinforced this with more than one personal experience.

This isn't seen as a physical parentage, but a spiritual one. For me, this is like saying this deity made me, made my essence and the core of my being. This is who I am as I walk through the world. Aset is whose essence I most resonate with, whose energy I most connect with on a very profound and fundamental level.

Also, I'm sure this parent/child relationship is not exclusive to the Kemetic Pantheon.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

EricLeif

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Questions concerning God Parents/Divine Parents
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 01:03:51 am »
I have to say I agree with SatAset that the parent/child relation ship goes beyond the Kemetic Pantheon. I find that when I'm looking for that parental guidance that I will often turn to Hermes or Athena who I have that close parental relationship with just as often as I will turn to my own parents, and sometimes more often to the gods depending on if my current thoughts are more earth bound or spiritual.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 03:43:32 am »
Are there a lot more people with this kind of relationship with deities (or any being, rather)?

I have a relationship like that - you'll sometimes hear me refer to Odin as Dad and Loki as Mom. For me, it means that I feel close enough to ask help and advice without needing to make a formal ritual out of it, as well as having had them come to me to teach me or guide me on a number of occasions.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Lunamoth

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://blog.elewir.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 01:45:06 pm »

It maybe pretty common. Many of us come from a Christian background, and God as the Father is pretty strongly imprinted in us from an early age. So it doesn't feel unnatural to relate to other deities in the same way.

For me, I have a relationship with my own parents that is more egalitarian than say, that of a very young child with her parents. And maybe because of that, I feel perfectly comfortable referring to my gods as Mother and Father. It's kind of like an honorific, when I say it.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 05:12:18 pm »
Quote from: EricLeif;127252

A Reminder:
Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Tags: