Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Patron of Outcasts?  (Read 7497 times)

Local Magpie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Goddess Religion, Eclectic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they/he
Patron of Outcasts?
« on: July 14, 2018, 01:38:17 pm »
Hello Everyone, I was wondering if there was any god that was a patron of outcasts, so to speak?  Thanks!

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Patron of Outcasts?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 05:48:13 pm »
Hello Everyone, I was wondering if there was any god that was a patron of outcasts, so to speak?  Thanks!
I'd say Brighid would be appropriate.

In Her aspect of Brig Ambue, She's considered to be "Brighid of the Cowless Ones". In Bronze and Iron Age Irish society, where wealth was measured in cattle, the "cowless one" were people in poverty, the lowest rung.

In addition, as Brig Ambue She was said to be able to purify the Fian, bands of outcasts who survived by banditry, and to reintegrate them into society.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 06:45:29 pm »

Set, all the way. His portfolio is everything "out of bounds", including physical boundaries (wilderness, foreign lands and foreigners), behavioral boundaries (being drunk and disorderly, rebelling against authority), or just being outside "normal" categories: redheads (in a primarily dark-haired population), left-handed people, and gender/sexual minorities.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 05:16:38 am »

I would imagine there are quite a few gods who fit this description.

Of the ones I work with or have worked with myself, Set has already been named. Lilith, from Jewish and related ancient traditions, could be seen as a patron of outsiders in some ways as well--especially if they're outsiders to sexual boundaries.

I currently work with a semi-Hellenic set of Powers, and I could name a few of those as well:
  • Dionysos as a god of foreigners and gender/sexual outlaws
  • Hekate as a goddess of the night and those who travel in it, and whose rituals demand you feed the homeless, who are often outcasts
  • Zeus Xenios in his role as god of hospitality to strangers
  • Hermes in his role as god of camaraderie at the feast (an important civic event that united the city) and as god of travelers

And that's just one culture's pantheon. (More or less.)
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Scent of Pine

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 04:33:34 am »

How about Shiva? He's a god who embraces those who are society's outcasts, even demons and vampires. I really really need to organize my bookmarks, but here's what I could find:

"Shiva is a protector of those on the fringes of society, of everything chaotic, and dangerous, the unexpected and un-explainable. He is god of the humble (shudras), outcasts and criminals. A protector of animals and trees." from: http://www.weare1.us/Shiva.html

Or check out this site: http://www.holymtn.com/homepage/gods-goddesses/shiva/

Also Shiva in the form of Bhairava: http://harmonyashtanga.com/blog-reflections/2017/10/31/pg8w4uebsvvz9s2g5lybpvue6yukkn

That's a start, and there's lots more out there. There's a really interesting Indian TV series about Shiva called Devon Ke Dev Mahadev that shows his compassion on those who society has turned its back on. It's tough to find with English subtitles though.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 10:20:45 am »
How about Shiva? He's a god who embraces those who are society's outcasts, even demons and vampires. I really really need to organize my bookmarks, but here's what I could find:

"Shiva is a protector of those on the fringes of society, of everything chaotic, and dangerous, the unexpected and un-explainable. He is god of the humble (shudras), outcasts and criminals. A protector of animals and trees." from: http://www.weare1.us/Shiva.html

Or check out this site: http://www.holymtn.com/homepage/gods-goddesses/shiva/

Also Shiva in the form of Bhairava: http://harmonyashtanga.com/blog-reflections/2017/10/31/pg8w4uebsvvz9s2g5lybpvue6yukkn

That's a start, and there's lots more out there. There's a really interesting Indian TV series about Shiva called Devon Ke Dev Mahadev that shows his compassion on those who society has turned its back on. It's tough to find with English subtitles though.

Yes. And he is extremely easy to please. He spends time at the cremation grounds, surrounded by those supernatural outcasts. A goddess who is on the fringes of society is Matangi. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matangi

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 12:49:07 am »
Obligatory Loki Reference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Tags: