Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Our Lady of the Hens?  (Read 5279 times)

goblin-queen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: A hodge-podge
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Our Lady of the Hens?
« on: October 30, 2018, 04:41:21 pm »
So I stumbled across an article on Stregheria which led me to several interesting websites on the topic. Although, I'm just as confused about it as when I started a name really stuck out to me; Madonna delle Galline.

I googled the term and apparently it means Our Lady of the Hens. So I dig a bit more digging and I found a possible origin for this figure was the uncovering of a statue by chickens pecking at the ground. But some people have hinted at a link between Madonna delle Galline and the story of Demeter and Persephone.

According to one site, Demeter takes the form of a generous older woman and Persephone takes the form of the hen being nourished by the grain given to her. Another one points out that the statue was unearthed in the springtime and thus reflects Persephone's ascent from the Underworld.

I'm utterly fascinated and can't help but wonder if there's possibly some deity associated with chickens whose iconography has been adapted over time.

Ooh upon further research I've come across the Kurinyi Bog and Hühnergött, both meaning 'chicken god'. Their lore seems to be tied to hag stones, but I have no idea why.

I'm totally intrigued and wonder if anyone has come across this figure before or perhaps has some knowledge of obscure poultry deities. XD
“...talent means nothing, while experience, acquired in humility and with hard work, means everything.”

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Re: Our Lady of the Hens?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 04:20:00 am »

Ooh upon further research I've come across the Kurinyi Bog and Hühnergött, both meaning 'chicken god'. Their lore seems to be tied to hag stones, but I have no idea why.

I'm totally intrigued and wonder if anyone has come across this figure before or perhaps has some knowledge of obscure poultry deities. XD
I first heard of "Hühnergötter" on the Baltic sea coast in Germany. That's what they call donut like stones with a (natural) hole in the middle. I think they are believed to bring good luck.

I don't know any background information, but your posting made me think of the story of Talisien and Cerridwen. There's a moment Gwion transforms into a seed and Cerridwen into a hen and she finds him although he's tiny and there are so many other seeds.

This story reflects that chickens have incredible eye sight.

Maybe the stone with a hole has the chicken connection because you can look through it?

In German there's also a saying: "Even a blind chicken sometimes finds a seed". It's used when a dumb person makes a discovery.

goblin-queen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 11:56:47 am »
I first heard of "Hühnergötter" on the Baltic sea coast in Germany. That's what they call donut like stones with a (natural) hole in the middle. I think they are believed to bring good luck.

I know it's not related, but I imagine the Baltic coast is beautiful. :) I think I read something like that, they were placed in hen houses to protect the precious feather-babies.

I don't know any background information, but your posting made me think of the story of Talisien and Cerridwen. There's a moment Gwion transforms into a seed and Cerridwen into a hen and she finds him although he's tiny and there are so many other seeds.

Yes, that story sprung to my mind as well!  ;D I remember my first introduction to this myth was Disney's Sword in the Stone. I rediscovered the story much later on and the transformation bit really stuck with me.

This story reflects that chickens have incredible eye sight.

Maybe the stone with a hole has the chicken connection because you can look through it?

In German there's also a saying: "Even a blind chicken sometimes finds a seed". It's used when a dumb person makes a discovery.

Hmm...this is making me wonder if chickens have a link to soothsaying. I've come across articles mentioning roosters as heralds of the dawn who can ward off evil. I've also just stumbled upon the term 'henwife', which I've never come across before. Lots of food for thought!
“...talent means nothing, while experience, acquired in humility and with hard work, means everything.”

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 07:20:05 pm »

I recall some folklore (British maybe?) that looking through this kind of stone lets you see magic, and/or see through faerie illusions.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

goblin-queen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 03:12:34 pm »
I recall some folklore (British maybe?) that looking through this kind of stone lets you see magic, and/or see through faerie illusions.

That's interesting, I've seen that in the Spiderwick Chronicles (I think). Didn't know it had foundations in actual folklore.  :)

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 11:38:17 am »
That's interesting, I've seen that in the Spiderwick Chronicles (I think). Didn't know it had foundations in actual folklore.  :)

It certainly does - even today you can see strings of them hanging up in old barns. The usual term in Britain is hagstone and if you search google on that you'll find plenty. I personally love them and have dozens!

As for chickens - they were around in Britain in the Iron Age and were kept for their eggs.  As far as I am aware though, there is little or no evidence that the birds themselves were eaten. Which is interesting.  Was that it that they were sacred to the gods ( if so which?) and therefore taboo as food?

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 06:10:27 pm »
As for chickens - they were around in Britain in the Iron Age and were kept for their eggs.  As far as I am aware though, there is little or no evidence that the birds themselves were eaten. Which is interesting.  Was that it that they were sacred to the gods ( if so which?) and therefore taboo as food?

Well, it makes sense that as long as the chicken was laying, they'd keep it alive - see also 'the Goose with the Golden Eggs'. Though I do wonder, is there positive evidence that chickens weren't eaten, or is it just a blank either way?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 06:48:17 pm »
Well, it makes sense that as long as the chicken was laying, they'd keep it alive - see also 'the Goose with the Golden Eggs'. Though I do wonder, is there positive evidence that chickens weren't eaten, or is it just a blank either way?

You wouldn't necessarily want the cockerels though - you only need a few to keep the flock going. It would be logical to use the surplus ones for meat.

To the best of my knowledge, whilst evidence exists of other fowl being eaten ( bones in middens and residues in cooking pots for example) chicken is missing.

Tags: