collapse

Author Topic: Nehalennia and Gallo-Germanic Sea Gods  (Read 666 times)

Utusitusi

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://sekhenetnut.livejournal.com/
Nehalennia and Gallo-Germanic Sea Gods
« on: June 27, 2013, 05:07:58 am »
In my search for a Deity related pretty specifically to the Gallo-Belgae area of the North Sea (Menapii, Morini, Euburone tribes), I keep getting Nehalennia. Which is great ofcourse, but when I study Her, it seems to me that She is more a God of seafearers and travellers than an actual Sea God.
I'm looking for more a personification of the North Sea in the style of Poseidon or Salacia but (preferably) pre-Roman Gallo-Germanic (not Norse or Britannic Celtic).

Anyone else interested in that area who can help me out or point me in the right direction?

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Nehalennia and Gallo-Germanic Sea Gods
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 06:52:38 pm »
Quote from: Utusitusi;113862

I'm looking for more a personification of the North Sea in the style of Poseidon or Salacia but (preferably) pre-Roman Gallo-Germanic (not Norse or Britannic Celtic).

Don't know of any off hand. What you could do, if you are unable to find evidence for such  a deity, is to reconstruct it.

I base this on Ceisiwr Serith's "Deep Ancestry," p.49, in which he says "...the existence of an idea (in your case, the North Sea area) assume the existence of a deity to rule over it."

If I needed a North Sea god, I would look through Proto-Celtic and Proto-Germanic glossaries for the words "north" and "sea" to make a proper name.

So, for example, let's take the Proto-Indo-European word for "sea"-mori-. In the daughter proto-languages this would still be very similar, so let's just go ahead and attach the deific particle -n- to the end of this. Now we have "morin-." All that we need now is a gender suffix, in Proto-Celtic these are -os and -a, in Proto-Germanic -az and -o (if I remember correctly).

The end result could then be: Morinos, Morina, Morinaz, Morino.

Leanan Sidhe

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Nehalennia and Gallo-Germanic Sea Gods
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 09:48:16 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;113952
Don't know of any off hand. What you could do, if you are unable to find evidence for such  a deity, is to reconstruct it.

I base this on Ceisiwr Serith's "Deep Ancestry," p.49, in which he says "...the existence of an idea (in your case, the North Sea area) assume the existence of a deity to rule over it."

I like the way you think. :)
"Modesty is an illusion" -- de Sade
"The call of death is a call of love. Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation." -- Herman Hesse

Tags: