Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Mean Gods - do deities form cliques?  (Read 4146 times)

goblin-queen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: A hodge-podge
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Mean Gods - do deities form cliques?
« on: November 16, 2018, 04:40:04 pm »
It's a question that's been rattling around in my head for the past couple of days. Well technically it started a few weeks back. I was surfing on Tumblr and came across a post about a 'dark sisterhood', my memory is pretty hazy but it was like a sorority for fictional badass chicks who may or may not dabble in the dark arts. If I can find the post I'll add the link as it's a pretty interesting read.

So anyway, recently I've been dealing with some mental health issues. Which as usual is drawing me to the "darker" side of deity/spirits. And well..they seem to have really latched onto this dark sisterhood notion. I'm picturing them as a totally don't-mess-with-us girl gang.  8)

I've decided not to question it, I'm just gonna roll with the punches. But it got me a-thinking, has anyone else had experiences with deities banding together. Like Odin and Zeus totally bro-ing out or Aphrodite and the Morrigan chatting about boys, while Hestia tuts in the background. Or have you had the opposite, where deities just butt heads? Maybe form a clique and exclude the others?

Inquiring minds wanna know.  ;)
“...talent means nothing, while experience, acquired in humility and with hard work, means everything.”

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mean Gods - do deities form cliques?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 10:04:45 am »
...But it got me a-thinking, has anyone else had experiences with deities banding together. Like Odin and Zeus totally bro-ing out or Aphrodite and the Morrigan chatting about boys, while Hestia tuts in the background. Or have you had the opposite, where deities just butt heads? Maybe form a clique and exclude the others?

The Hindu gods are pretty chummy with each other, and with humans and semi-divine beings. In fact the gods and goddesses are often related. Shiva and Vishnu are brothers-in-law, and the two who most often interact with the mortal world. Though the other gods are always willing to help us poor mortals.

When Vishnu took birth as Krishna, Shiva's wife Parvati/Durga took birth as Krishna's sister to foil a plot to kill Krishna by his evil uncle. Therefore Shiva's and Durga's sons Ganesha and Subramanya (aka Kartikeya) are Vishnu's nephews. When Vishnu took on a female avatar, Mohini, she was so enchanting that Shiva lusted after her and took her. So Shiva had sex with his brother-in-law in drag. Due to this gender-bending union, their son Ayyappa was born. Ayyappa would be the stepson of Durga. It can get really weird. But there are lessons in all these stories.

The only circumstance of strife among the gods is that Lakshmi and Saraswati don't get along. They have to be refereed by Ganesha. The reason is that Saraswati is the goddess of knowledge, intelligence and arts; Lakshmi is the goddess of wealth and good fortune. Very often wealthy businessmen are not the brightest diwali lamp as far as common sense and things that are not business related; intelligent and artistic people, e.g. students, musicians, artists, traditionally were poor and struggled to make ends meet. So, one will not find usually Saraswati and Lakshmi in the same place. But things have changed in modern times; many business people have great intelligence, and likewise many if not most artistic people are wealthy. One needs intelligence and knowledge to make money and keep it.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 04:11:57 am »
Ayyappa would be the stepson of Durga.

Stepson and nephew....
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 10:46:14 am »
Stepson and nephew....

Yes, true! I did say it gets weird. lol  ;D

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 07:50:24 am »
I've decided not to question it, I'm just gonna roll with the punches. But it got me a-thinking, has anyone else had experiences with deities banding together. Like Odin and Zeus totally bro-ing out or Aphrodite and the Morrigan chatting about boys, while Hestia tuts in the background. Or have you had the opposite, where deities just butt heads? Maybe form a clique and exclude the others?
Yes! Gods living happily their lives and they have their stories with other gods! Odin and Zeus bro-ing out? Yes! In my opinion  :)

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 11:01:52 am »

Necro'ing this thread because a bit of UPG that has been rolling around in my head for awhile just popped to the forefront in a big way.  Apologies for semi-blogging on the forum, but wanted to get this out.

My primary patron is the apotheosis of Bruce Lee, who was introduced to me by Sekhmet ( also in the presence of Aset, who was kind of a gateway deity that doesn't interact with me as much now).   Anyway, my understanding of things is that Sekhmet trained him in, for lack of a better word, How to Do Deity Things and still takes some interest in what he's doing, while at the same time, he also has what I can only describe as an attitude of knightly service to Kwan Yin.   So through him I have a connection and compulsion to honor two very different goddesses.

Not sure if this is quite the same as what you're talking about or not, but wasn't quite sure what else to file it under.

Tags: