Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Looking for Info on Kokopelli  (Read 1763 times)

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Looking for Info on Kokopelli
« on: November 12, 2013, 09:51:10 am »
I'm looking into how to honor Kokopelli, but I'm having a hard time finding any information on him besides the basic stuff. For starters, what offerings does he accept?

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
Re: Looking for Info on Kokopelli
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 04:15:48 pm »
Quote from: Izzie414;129178
I'm looking into how to honor Kokopelli, but I'm having a hard time finding any information on him besides the basic stuff. For starters, what offerings does he accept?

Kokopelli is a Hopi deity right? That could be difficult. It might not be practical for you, but you could always go to Hopi towns in the South-West and ask in person, but that could be considered rude. Failing that, what type of academic sources have you tried?

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 04:59:46 pm »
Quote from: Rob;129227
Kokopelli is a Hopi deity right? That could be difficult. It might not be practical for you, but you could always go to Hopi towns in the South-West and ask in person, but that could be considered rude. Failing that, what type of academic sources have you tried?

I've done the initial web searches, and my next plan of action would be the library. I've checked Amazon, etc, and I'm not finding much.

OfSunlight&Shadows

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 07:02:06 am »
Quote from: Izzie414;129231
I've done the initial web searches, and my next plan of action would be the library. I've checked Amazon, etc, and I'm not finding much.

Here are some books that are about Kokopelli--

You might have to use an inter-library-loan with your public library to get these, possibly from a university (if you can purchase them). Many of them can be seen via Google preview, but they don't show it all. I will put links for the Google Book's preview, though.

The first two seem to have the most info...

Kokopelli: The Magic, Mirth, and Mischief of an Ancient Symbol - Dennis Slifer
http://books.google.com/books?id=lGLAK2CW0WIC&dq=Kokopelli&source=gbs_navlinks_s

Kokopelli: The Making of an Icon - Ekkehart Malotki
http://books.google.com/books?id=qqOgjiqa7R4C&dq=Kokopelli&source=gbs_navlinks_s

Kokopelli: fluteplayer images in rock art - Dennis Slifer, James Duffield
http://books.google.com/books?id=BFZ1AAAAMAAJ&q=Kokopelli+deity&dq=Kokopelli+deity&hl=en&sa=X&ei=pbKEUrKoKYy8kQfP7oDQCQ&ved=0CEsQ6AEwAzgK

Kokopelli Ceremonies - Stephen W. Hill
http://books.google.com/books?id=xXNImW5BaeUC&dq=Kokopelli+fertility&source=gbs_navlinks_s

The serpent and the sacred fire: fertility images in Southwest rock art - Dennis Slifer
http://books.google.com/books?id=6mkaAQAAIAAJ&q=Kokopelli+fertility&dq=Kokopelli+fertility&hl=en&sa=X&ei=braEUsK8CNK0kQeh8oGoDQ&ved=0CEsQ6AEwATge

Hope this helps!

I think I also have some websites, from long ago, saved. I'll see if I can find them, If I remember correctly, though, most of the websites were very general and uh, new age-ish. The books I posted are more scholarly and academic (AFAIK) and seem filled with far more info than I've ever seen on a website.

Also, RE: offerings
I am going to make an educated guess, based off my knowledge and experience with other deities. This is not at all to be taken as accurate as to how he is worshiped in the context of his pantheon!

He's associated with fertility -- of people, animals and the land so these things come to mind:

libations of water on the earth (he's also associated with rain, which brings fertility to crops, maybe even collecting rain water for later use?)

music, song and dance (all things he's associated with; also flutes!)

Menstrual blood?
Though I'm not too sure about this one. I saw it mentioned, though on page 89 of "Kokopelli: The Magic, Mirth, and Mischief of an Ancient Symbol" (you can read it in the preview). It said that a girl's first period was celebrated and various menstrual and female fertility symbols were used in rock art and such. I don't know if offerings of actual menstrual blood would be acceptable or not, but you might be able to discover more.

Plants and things associated with them -- seeds, fruits, etc.
You might want to look into what crops and plants the Native Americans in the area harvested and see if you could offer the same. I saw maize/corn and beans (though which type I am not sure) mentioned in a few books. Also, pollen mentioned.

Animal figurines, images, statues, etc
"Kokopelli also presides over the reproduction of game animals, and for this reason, he is often depicted with animal companions such as rams and deer. Other common creatures associated with him include sun-bathing animals such as snakes, or water-loving animals like lizards and insects." (Wiki)
Perhaps offering figurines, painting or other things might be pleasing?

That's all I could think of at the moment.

:-)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 07:03:44 am by OfSunlight&Shadows »

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 10:59:10 pm »
Quote from: OfSunlight&Shadows;129407
Here are some books that are about Kokopelli--

You might have to use an inter-library-loan with your public library to get these, possibly from a university (if you can purchase them). Many of them can be seen via Google preview, but they don't show it all. I will put links for the Google Book's preview, though.

The first two seem to have the most info...

Kokopelli: The Magic, Mirth, and Mischief of an Ancient Symbol - Dennis Slifer
http://books.google.com/books?id=lGLAK2CW0WIC&dq=Kokopelli&source=gbs_navlinks_s

Kokopelli: The Making of an Icon - Ekkehart Malotki
http://books.google.com/books?id=qqOgjiqa7R4C&dq=Kokopelli&source=gbs_navlinks_s

Kokopelli: fluteplayer images in rock art - Dennis Slifer, James Duffield
http://books.google.com/books?id=BFZ1AAAAMAAJ&q=Kokopelli+deity&dq=Kokopelli+deity&hl=en&sa=X&ei=pbKEUrKoKYy8kQfP7oDQCQ&ved=0CEsQ6AEwAzgK

Kokopelli Ceremonies - Stephen W. Hill
http://books.google.com/books?id=xXNImW5BaeUC&dq=Kokopelli+fertility&source=gbs_navlinks_s

The serpent and the sacred fire: fertility images in Southwest rock art - Dennis Slifer
http://books.google.com/books?id=6mkaAQAAIAAJ&q=Kokopelli+fertility&dq=Kokopelli+fertility&hl=en&sa=X&ei=braEUsK8CNK0kQeh8oGoDQ&ved=0CEsQ6AEwATge

Hope this helps!

I think I also have some websites, from long ago, saved. I'll see if I can find them, If I remember correctly, though, most of the websites were very general and uh, new age-ish. The books I posted are more scholarly and academic (AFAIK) and seem filled with far more info than I've ever seen on a website.

Also, RE: offerings
I am going to make an educated guess, based off my knowledge and experience with other deities. This is not at all to be taken as accurate as to how he is worshiped in the context of his pantheon!

He's associated with fertility -- of people, animals and the land so these things come to mind:

libations of water on the earth (he's also associated with rain, which brings fertility to crops, maybe even collecting rain water for later use?)

music, song and dance (all things he's associated with; also flutes!)

Menstrual blood?
Though I'm not too sure about this one. I saw it mentioned, though on page 89 of "Kokopelli: The Magic, Mirth, and Mischief of an Ancient Symbol" (you can read it in the preview). It said that a girl's first period was celebrated and various menstrual and female fertility symbols were used in rock art and such. I don't know if offerings of actual menstrual blood would be acceptable or not, but you might be able to discover more.

Plants and things associated with them -- seeds, fruits, etc.
You might want to look into what crops and plants the Native Americans in the area harvested and see if you could offer the same. I saw maize/corn and beans (though which type I am not sure) mentioned in a few books. Also, pollen mentioned.

Animal figurines, images, statues, etc
"Kokopelli also presides over the reproduction of game animals, and for this reason, he is often depicted with animal companions such as rams and deer. Other common creatures associated with him include sun-bathing animals such as snakes, or water-loving animals like lizards and insects." (Wiki)
Perhaps offering figurines, painting or other things might be pleasing?

That's all I could think of at the moment.

:-)

Thank you so much! I was able to buy the flute player book for cheap, looking forward to reading it :)

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 11:03:19 pm »
Quote from: Izzie414;129178

Do you have access to any university libraries? Some universities will let you lose their library for research even when you're not a student, if you can get a special pass.

OfSunlight&Shadows

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 07:09:31 pm »
Quote from: Olivia;129860
Do you have access to any university libraries? Some universities will let you lose their library for research even when you're not a student, if you can get a special pass.

Many public libraries are part of the WorldCat system and will allow inter-library-loans with university libraries, so going to an actual university might not be necessary. :) I recently discovered my public library was part of the WorldCat system and I've gotten ILLs from many universities (in Florida, California, Washington (local for me) and others). Izzie and anyone interested in this should ask their public library and see if they are part of the program and if they are, what steps need to be taken to request the books. At my library, you just have to check search "WorldCat" when you search the catalog online and it's as easy as pressing request, though other libraries might have other methods. It takes a bit longer to get the holds, but it's well worth it! :D:

Izzie414: You're welcome!

Tags: