Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: I think a deity may be trying to contact me, help!  (Read 2724 times)

TheNewestWiccan

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Wiccan
I think a deity may be trying to contact me, help!
« on: October 13, 2019, 05:37:48 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm super new to this. I'll start with a bit about myself. I was raised Christian but always felt like I was in a club that I didn't know the rules to and I was always messing up. Recently after years of telling myself I'd explore other religions I finally had the chance. My husband and I went to the bookstore to get him a cookbook and there was a display set up with the cookbooks with Wiccan books. I bought 2 of them to read and immediately felt like I was home. I've been researching and reading for the past few weeks now and recently I've started to dream. I normally only dream 2-3 times a month but this week I've dreamed every night.

I haven't been able to remember them either. So while on our normal walk I told my husband about my dreams and how I couldn't remember them. I did a quick search thinking maybe a deity was trying to contact me via my dreams. I thought maybe it was Morpheus. When I looked over a saw a monarch butterfly land on a goal post. I told my husband who said it was kind of odd since its starting to get cold around here. I felt like maybe Morpheus was wanting to work with me. I said that if I had a dream and remembered it I would know Morpheus wanted to work with me. We get home and a moth with the same coloring as the butterfly from earlier lands about two feet from our house.

On the way to work I quietly said in my head if I see another butterfly its a sign that Morpheus wants to work with me. As I was going to my first break I noticed a blue butterfly printed skirt. Went to sleep that night and dreamed, and I remembered it. I've been seeing butterflies now it seems wherever I go and I remembered last nights dream. I've been struggling with trying to figure out if Morpheus wants to work with me and how to contact him if he is. I've never worked with a deity and I'm not sure how to go about it. But the weirdest part is last night I dreamed of a man who told me I had 7 days to kill Diana or I would die. I don't know any Diana's and this dream has really freaked me out. I guess some help or advice would be wonderful. Thanks for anything.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Re: I think a deity may be trying to contact me, help!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 06:17:47 pm »
Hi everyone

Hi.

I still consider myself to be pretty new to all this too, and I know very little about Morpheus.

However, I hope one or two things from my own experience might help reassure you, while you are seeking more information and insight.

I am someone who rarely remembers their dreams usually. At the beginning of this year, however, I began a dream diary and I subsequently found that I was starting to remember my dreams much more frequently. So I wonder whether the pagan books you read might have had a similar effect on you that my dream journal did on me?

I'm also aware that insect life is somewhat out of its normal cycle & timings due to the effects of climate change.

I don't want you to think I'm pooh-poohing what you are experiencing. But I do think sometimes people can potentially 'jump at' the first experiences they have upon beginning to explore a pagan path and maybe read a bit more into them than is necessarily there.

As for the dream re Diana, my personal interpretation of something like that would be that there's likely some anxiety (at least subconsciously) about the departure from your original religion and your beginning exploration of this new one.  So I would try process that as a product of the subconscious mind and deal with it as such.  I certainly don't believe anything bad will happen in seven days, and I hope that reassures you.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 09:48:58 pm »
Hi, welcome!

I normally only dream 2-3 times a month but this week I've dreamed every night.

As PerditaPickle says, this isn't uncommon for people who begin exploring a new path (not just Paganism, actually, I've come across stories of people exploring other non-Pagan religions where it's a thing.)

It may be useful to figure that the dreams are your brain trying to figure things out, and make new connections, but not assume that any single given dream means anything specific. Sometimes there's a lot of weird junk in the nooks of our unconscious mind, and once you start rearranging the shelving, a lot of things end up all over the place.

But the weirdest part is last night I dreamed of a man who told me I had 7 days to kill Diana or I would die. I don't know any Diana's and this dream has really freaked me out. I guess some help or advice would be wonderful. Thanks for anything.

This is something where I'd see what else comes up. It is very much a kind of thing that might just be stuff getting rearranged in your brain and weirdness coming out. If you had more dreams with a similar figure or theme or something, then that's a sign to look at it more closely (including getting a medical checkup, because there are biochemical reasons sometimes for that kind of intrusive dream/thought.)

In general, for dreams and a lot of other experiences like that, I think that a single thing is a point, not a line. Keep track of them, and if you see patterns, consider them, maybe check them against other resources (starting with common sense, but maybe including talking to trusted friends or family, divination, meditation in a more controlled setting than a dream, etc.) Don't make big changes just based on a dream - but you might use a dream as a reason to explore if there are changes you want to make once you can consider them thoroughly.

So, for example, your observations of the butterfly are a great example of taking one thing, looking for patterns, and paying attention to things like "Would I normally see butterflies here right now?" They aren't an absolute answer, but they're another piece of the puzzle and pattern, and you can take that as "this is a direction worth exploring"

So, what do you do now? When I work with students about learning to build relationships with deities, I make a point that it's really good to go slow, really good to take your time to learn more, and not to make big long-term commitments for a good long time. Instead, consider starting with a small commitment of "I would like to learn more about you. For the next [three months, six months], I will learn more about you. Please direct me gently if there is something you would like me to focus on." (Gently/kindly/etc. is a great word to throw in with this kind of request, for the record.)

Make simple offerings (for Greek gods, some good general offerings include a little clear water, olive oil, incense, or particular foods or gestures for that deity, for example.)

I've got a series of essays about more steps to consider when building a relationship with a deity on my website, and there's another recent thread on the forum where I came up with some more additions of things to consider trying. As that thread says, don't try to do all the things, or expect big noisy results - pick three or so you can do very regularly, do those for a couple of months, and see what happens, taking notes as you go. This is a long-term thing, not a race to see what happens first. While you do that, continue learning, developing skills (like meditation, divination, learning about ritual options, etc.) that can help you as you grow and want to do more.

(I'll add that my longest running devotional practice - going on 17 years - is that my toenails are painted some shade of blue as a devotion to M'Lady, the particular deity I work with/honour/etc in my personal work. Sometimes the devotional stuff is the thing that works for you.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

sevensons

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 05:16:41 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm super new to this. I'll start with a bit about myself. I was raised Christian but always felt like I was in a club that I didn't know the rules to and I was always messing up. Recently after years of telling myself I'd explore other religions I finally had the chance. My husband and I went to the bookstore to get him a cookbook and there was a display set up with the cookbooks with Wiccan books. I bought 2 of them to read and immediately felt like I was home. I've been researching and reading for the past few weeks now and recently I've started to dream. I normally only dream 2-3 times a month but this week I've dreamed every night.

I haven't been able to remember them either. So while on our normal walk I told my husband about my dreams and how I couldn't remember them. I did a quick search thinking maybe a deity was trying to contact me via my dreams. I thought maybe it was Morpheus. When I looked over a saw a monarch butterfly land on a goal post. I told my husband who said it was kind of odd since its starting to get cold around here. I felt like maybe Morpheus was wanting to work with me. I said that if I had a dream and remembered it I would know Morpheus wanted to work with me. We get home and a moth with the same coloring as the butterfly from earlier lands about two feet from our house.

On the way to work I quietly said in my head if I see another butterfly its a sign that Morpheus wants to work with me. As I was going to my first break I noticed a blue butterfly printed skirt. Went to sleep that night and dreamed, and I remembered it. I've been seeing butterflies now it seems wherever I go and I remembered last nights dream. I've been struggling with trying to figure out if Morpheus wants to work with me and how to contact him if he is. I've never worked with a deity and I'm not sure how to go about it. But the weirdest part is last night I dreamed of a man who told me I had 7 days to kill Diana or I would die. I don't know any Diana's and this dream has really freaked me out. I guess some help or advice would be wonderful. Thanks for anything.
The dreams could be shifting of a situe situation. it could be a devilish output of thought that that an inaccurate incursion was in you blessings.
Awaken myself alive and well loving to start learning today ahead a challenge set by the Gods. Haven't

Instagram stevejomac

Tags: