Re: Vachellia Tortilis with Violins by Morag
[Today at 06:26:07 am]

Re: Well Met by Morag
[Today at 05:11:07 am]

Vachellia Tortilis with Violins by entwife
[Yesterday at 09:47:58 pm]

Re: Bardic Shield by entwife
[Yesterday at 09:29:28 pm]

Author Topic: I can't seem to name Him  (Read 1159 times)

Elyria

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
I can't seem to name Him
« on: October 09, 2013, 10:15:55 pm »
Hello again!

I've been having a hard time trying to find my God. I was wanting to post to maybe brainstorm, get some ideas on who it might be, or find a place to start looking. So I work with Nyx. I have since I started, and I couldn't be happier with Her. She's everything I could ever want in a Goddess. I'm actually working on a dedication ritual for Her.

But I still feel like I'm missing out on a God. He's there somewhere, I can feel Him. I just can't place Him. I've been researching and researching. I even did a circle today, praying to Him and to Nyx to give me a name or a sign. But it doesn't matter what name I see, it just doesn't resonate with me the way that Nyx does.

Here's what I think:
1) I feel like he's closely related to Nyx somehow. Either Her child or friend (not Erebus.. He just doesn't sing to me). I've looked into Thanatos, Moros, Hypnos, Eros (Phanes/Protogonos), and Pan. So I suppose He doesn't have to be closely related.. It just feels like connections are important to Nyx and my God knows Her somehow.
2) He's darker than Nyx is. Not psychically, of course, but emotionally. I feel like He deals with death or illness somehow.
3) He also seems like a ruler almost. He's tall, straight-backed. Like he's in control.

I know this is very obscure.. But I'm so confused. lol If anyone has any idea who He could be or where I could start searching on my own.. I just need a new direction, because I've already worn myself out of ideas.

Thanks so much!
Blessings,
Elyria

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Re: I can't seem to name Him
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 10:37:55 pm »
Quote from: Elyria;124552
Hello again!

I've been having a hard time trying to find my God. I was wanting to post to maybe brainstorm, get some ideas on who it might be, or find a place to start looking. So I work with Nyx. I have since I started, and I couldn't be happier with Her. She's everything I could ever want in a Goddess. I'm actually working on a dedication ritual for Her.

But I still feel like I'm missing out on a God. He's there somewhere, I can feel Him. I just can't place Him. I've been researching and researching. I even did a circle today, praying to Him and to Nyx to give me a name or a sign. But it doesn't matter what name I see, it just doesn't resonate with me the way that Nyx does.

Here's what I think:
1) I feel like he's closely related to Nyx somehow. Either Her child or friend (not Erebus.. He just doesn't sing to me). I've looked into Thanatos, Moros, Hypnos, Eros (Phanes/Protogonos), and Pan. So I suppose He doesn't have to be closely related.. It just feels like connections are important to Nyx and my God knows Her somehow.
2) He's darker than Nyx is. Not psychically, of course, but emotionally. I feel like He deals with death or illness somehow.
3) He also seems like a ruler almost. He's tall, straight-backed. Like he's in control.

I know this is very obscure.. But I'm so confused. lol If anyone has any idea who He could be or where I could start searching on my own.. I just need a new direction, because I've already worn myself out of ideas.

Thanks so much!
Blessings,
Elyria

Have you maybe tried looking up a god closely related to Nyx, and then findin his equivalent in other pantheons? It's a small idea, but I've used it.
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Faline

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 11:22:11 pm »
Hello again!

Here's what I think:

Thanks so much!
Blessings,
Elyria

Hello again :),
I also have had a hard time connecting with a God figure. But after reading your post I did some research and found something very interesting... Tartarus the primordial god. He a personification of a place that is used as a dungeon of torment and suffering for the wicked. This is also our dear Goddess Nyx's home. Thought you might want to look into him, I know I will be. Good luck.

http://www.theoi.com/Kosmos/Tartaros.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartarus
http://moonhousemagick.blogspot.com/  
                       ~Faline~

Faline

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 11:25:51 pm »
Hello again!

Here's what I think:

Thanks so much!
Blessings,
Elyria

Oh, one last thing... he's also her brother ;)
http://moonhousemagick.blogspot.com/  
                       ~Faline~

Elyria

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:26:00 am »
Quote from: Faline;124557
Oh, one last thing... he's also her brother ;)

He's close... But not quite there. Hades feels closer. I'm starting to feel like I'm on a wild goose chase, but I can't just settle. It's just eating at me. lol

@Rainbow, I've been trying that as well. I've been looking at all death gods on Wikipedia. Horned gods and night gods too. I feel like I'm missing something. :-( It's driving me crazy.

One more, kind of odd, thing... I've been seeing albino people everywhere. TV shows, movies, walking down the street... I'd never seen a human albino before last week and now I feel like I've seen one every other day. What could that mean?

Fionnbharr

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 03:41:57 am »

I seem to have rearranged my thoughts, this helps me see things in ways I was not capable of before (so for that thanks :D). In another thread you said you were drawn to the Orphic myths. Ever thought it might simply be Orpheus and the form you see is the form he took on as he passed from demi-god to god? In my head the words the white lord seems to be formed :confused: I think that it is safe to say that he is quite emotional, at least in some of his myths. Who else sings songs so sad that even the gods cry? So maybe his place in a pantheon is as the ruler of emotions? Just some thoughts...
Grief and sorrow grows on the far banks of the river Styx, go there and visit them and you might not find your own way back home. - Achilles

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 06:51:03 pm »
I've been having a hard time trying to find my God.

What happened to Thanatos? I recall that you'd mentioned that he was calling to you.
"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

Elyria

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 08:13:25 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;124682
What happened to Thanatos? I recall that you'd mentioned that he was calling to you.

I was wrong. lol I felt like someone was calling to me, and it felt like it was coming from a deity very similar to him, so I assumed it was him. But after so thought, the connection isn't as strong as I'd hoped it would be. I'm still going to honor him (as I do Rhea, Eros and Psyche), but he's not The One.

I started thinking that maybe the albinos I've been seeing have been trying to tell me to look for a God with white as his color. So I started Googling.. I found Heimdall, a Norse God, but it just doesn't resonate.. I love Norse mythology and I'd love to learn more about it, but right now, I'm a Greek girl. I don't like the ideas of mixing pantheons, especially since I know so little about other pantheons. I want to be sure I understand the myth and the stories before I start delving into their Gods.

So like I said before.. I've been on the verge of giving up. I feels like a wild goose chase. I'm starting to wonder if I have a God at ALL, or if it's just all in my head. Buuttt of course, I'm too curious for my own good. So I started looking into the "white" thing. Snow, winter, moon, stars.. And that was when I found Astraeus. I haven't made a decision yet.. but it feels the best so far!

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Dwarvenpunk
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 08:16:18 pm »
Quote from: Elyria;124718
So like I said before.. I've been on the verge of giving up. I feels like a wild goose chase. I'm starting to wonder if I have a God at ALL, or if it's just all in my head. Buuttt of course, I'm too curious for my own good. So I started looking into the "white" thing. Snow, winter, moon, stars.. And that was when I found Astraeus. I haven't made a decision yet.. but it feels the best so far!

Have you considered pursuing work with this god without knowing his name? Not all gods are named in the extant lore.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Elyria

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 10:36:21 am »
Quote from: Jack;124721
Have you considered pursuing work with this god without knowing his name? Not all gods are named in the extant lore.

Yep... I'm just gunna go that. lol I give up.

Thanks everyone for trying to help me. =)
Blessings,
Elyria

Fionnbharr

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 09:22:53 pm »
Quote from: Elyria;124718
I started thinking that maybe the albinos I've been seeing have been trying to tell me to look for a God with white as his color. So I started Googling.. I found Heimdall, a Norse God, but it just doesn't resonate.. I love Norse mythology and I'd love to learn more about it, but right now, I'm a Greek girl. I don't like the ideas of mixing pantheons, especially since I know so little about other pantheons. I want to be sure I understand the myth and the stories before I start delving into their Gods.

To me the only Norse God who kind of fits would be Baldr, the bright one. When he gets under your skin you will see that within he is as dark as he is light on the outside. There are probably many that will disagree with me on this, however (to me) he probably is the darkest one in the Norse Pantheon. He is also connected to death and emotions - did not all the world(s) beside one being cry over his death?
Grief and sorrow grows on the far banks of the river Styx, go there and visit them and you might not find your own way back home. - Achilles

Tags: