Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: How to know which deity to worship  (Read 2800 times)

broomstick

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
How to know which deity to worship
« on: September 09, 2012, 04:29:13 pm »
How do I know which God/Goddess I am supposed to worship? I feel like most on this forum have one or a few select deities that they seem to spend more time worshiping than others. How did you know?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: How to know which deity to worship
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 05:46:53 pm »
Quote from: broomstick;73189
How do I know which God/Goddess I am supposed to worship? I feel like most on this forum have one or a few select deities that they seem to spend more time worshiping than others. How did you know?

For most people, it takes time and effort: reading about very pantheons and deities and seeing which ones seem to either be important in your life or call to you in some other way.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 06:11:04 pm »

I second Randall. Pick a pantheon or a couple of deities who interest you the most and read up on everything you can about them. If you find a deity you feel really drawn to, research the ancient and modern traditions that surround him or her to see what offerings, rites, prayers, etc. he or she likes.

I think you'll know when you've come to the door of the right deity. I don't know how to explain it, but you'll know.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Nachtigall

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 06:19:29 pm »

Pretty much agree with what was said above. Pick a pantheon. Don't make any major commitments yet. Instead, learn what its main deities are, and why exactly they are important; learn how they were perceived and how they were worshiped. Then, if you wish, you may to choose one or several deities to focus on, either because of a personal calling, or because they are most strongly connected with things important to you.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 06:42:33 pm »

There is no "supposed to".  There is only what works for you (and, if you wind up being the sort of person who has some level of two-way communication, the entities you're dealing with).

Ideas on where to start:

* What mythological stories are of particular interest to you?  Are there any entities that catch your attention in them?

* What deities are related to your ethnic heritage?  A lot of people find that this is a way of narrowing down things, though many don't wind up with heritage affiliations.

* What deities are patrons of your profession, particularly important hobbies, and other interests?
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 06:47:21 pm »
Quote from: Nachtigall;73201
Don't make any major commitments yet.

(Bolding mine.)

This is an important point to keep in mind unless you are one hundred percent, cross-my-heart-and-hope-to-die certain about X (X being whatever committment). And then don't be surprised if you're wrong about X and you're directed to Y or Z.

I did this with Asatru. I was going to make a fairly substantial dedication to one of the gods for a short period of time. I'm glad I was lucky enough to be turned toward Bast.

I would be a terrible Asatruar. :whis:
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Ladywhitewolf

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist Pagan
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 08:49:12 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;73206
There is no "supposed to".  There is only what works for you (and, if you wind up being the sort of person who has some level of two-way communication, the entities you're dealing with).

Whichever deity [or pantheon] you decide to worship or honor is all up to you.  It does take time.   I had to read many books and look online to find which ones I felt a connection to.
-My paganspace page: http://www.paganspace.net/profile/whitewolf51
-My Pagan Playground page: http://www.pagan-playground.com/whitewolf-1
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he\'ll be a mile away, and barefoot.

Wooden Star

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 03:08:33 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;73206

Ideas on where to start:

* What mythological stories are of particular interest to you?  Are there any entities that catch your attention in them?

* What deities are related to your ethnic heritage?  A lot of people find that this is a way of narrowing down things, though many don't wind up with heritage affiliations.

* What deities are patrons of your profession, particularly important hobbies, and other interests?

Not to take over the thread but I have a quick question.

How do I find out what deities are patrons of my hobbies, is that simply a google type thing? Sorry if this is a dumb question!

Amethyst

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://aamethyst.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 07:35:59 am »
Quote from: Wooden Star;73297
Not to take over the thread but I have a quick question.

How do I find out what deities are patrons of my hobbies, is that simply a google type thing? Sorry if this is a dumb question!

Not a dumb question! It's mostly a google thing, but the God Checker website has a search engine that works via attributes. The website isn't very detailed and they might not have what hobbies you do, but it's a good starting point.
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.//Serbian Proverb
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why.//Mark Twain
Member of the New Order of Druids//Greener Paths

Wooden Star

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 03:13:38 pm »
Quote from: Amethyst;73306
Not a dumb question! It's mostly a google thing, but the God Checker website has a search engine that works via attributes. The website isn't very detailed and they might not have what hobbies you do, but it's a good starting point.

Thanks! I'll check that out right now.

Tags: