collapse

Important Announcement

Changing the Guard at The Cauldron

Sunflower is the new Host of The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum
Please read this thread for more information.

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: How to connect with God/dess(s)  (Read 1292 times)

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tumblr.com/blog/oboeadventures
How to connect with God/dess(s)
« on: December 27, 2011, 07:59:46 pm »
I've been looking deep into what I want to get out of being pagan (still discovering my path) and religion in general. I feel as though there is energy throughout everyone and thing, I just can't connect with it. I feel similarly with deities. Ásatrú appeals to me for a path to follow (or at least try out). I also feel that each God/dess get's their power from those who worship or simply acknowledge them. I would like to see God/desses as someone I deeply respect, but not quite worship. I don't want to pledge my life or soul to them.

How do you connect with your deity of choice? Did they find you or you them? What do you feel when you communicate with them?

hope this makes sense.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: How to connect with God/dess(s)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 12:21:41 pm »
Quote from: bluewave193;36626
I also feel that each God/dess get's their power from those who worship or simply acknowledge them.

I'm not sure that my way will work for you because we have very different ideas about deities. I don't believe they get any power from us. I believe whatever power they have is all their own. They exist all on their own, whether or not we acknowledge them. We just don't see any manifestation of that existence until we either reach out to them, or do something that gets their attention.

I would like to see God/desses as someone I deeply respect, but not quite worship. I don't want to pledge my life or soul to them.

I think it's possible to have relationships with deities without pledging your entire life or soul to them. IMO, it's just like relationships with people. Some will be like very close friends or family members, that you see often and share a lot with. Others are more like acquaintances you might only get together with on special occasions. Or like colleagues that you meet with to work on a specific project.

Then, there are those you might fall completely in love with after a while, and want to spend the rest of your life with them. They are the ones who might inspire you, or in some cases ask you, to make a deeper commitment.

Or maybe not. In any case, just like with people, you can always say no if you're not ready to take your relationship to the next level.

I think too many people feel like they have to jump in and make these grand gestures, pledges and promises they can't keep when it comes to deities.

How do you connect with your deity of choice? Did they find you or you them?

I have relationships with four goddesses. I connect with them by keeping shrines where I make offerings. I dedicate at least one day a month to each goddess when I honor her individually, no matter what else is going on in my life. And, each goddess has her own "stuff".

The Morrigan found me first. She came to me a long time ago, while I was doing a spell, and offered Her assistance. After a very long time, she pointed me toward Juno, who later nudged me toward Hecate.

With Juno and Hecate, I made contact by doing some research to see what sorts of things they might like as offerings, built a shrine, and just introduced myself. It wasn't anything big or complicated, no promises or pledges, just me saying hello and telling them I'd like to get to know them better.

Gaia had been popping in and out of my life for a long time before I knew who she was or what she might want from me. So, I guess she found me too.  

What do you feel when you communicate with them?

Sometimes, when I'm reaching out to them, I don't feel a thing. When I do, it's almost impossible to describe. Kind of like a change in the air pressure, but not. Kind of like a tingling in my skin, but not. But, I know they're there. When they're communicating with me, it usually comes as a nagging thought in my head that won't go away until I act on it.

Well, hopefully this was a little bit helpful and not too rambling.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:23:15 pm »

How do you connect with your deity of choice? Did they find you or you them? What do you feel when you communicate with them?

hope this makes sense.

My formal training included a combination of exercises to learn about and connect with deities - guided meditation to help us connect with deities we wished to work with personally, but also research and creative work to help us learn about (and maybe connect) to deities who were regularly welcomed at group rituals, or who are particularly commonly invited in the broader community (Brigid, for example)

I've got two articles on my website that go into somewhat more detail : different approaches to connecting with deity (http://gleewood.org/seeking/practices/relationships-with-deities/) and methods of learning (http://gleewood.org/seeking/practices/learning-about-a-deity/) - I particularly recommend the Judy Harrow book, _Devoted to You_ I mention at the bottom of the second.

My deity relationships are multi-layered: I have two deities (who I refer to in public as M'Lady and Himself) which are very much personal relationships (and where, yeah, I'm very much Hers, and we're all okay with that.) But I also fairly regularly invite/honor other deities in group work (when that's a part of my life, as I hope it will start being again soon - I moved 5 months ago across country, and am still settling in here) and deities the tradition I'm a priestess in works with at particular points (both in yearly and initiatory cycles.)

But I'm very much a polytheist, and will pick up working relationships with other deities from time to time, for specific mutual goals and interests.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 02:09:31 pm »
I've been looking deep into what I want to get out of being pagan (still discovering my path) and religion in general. I feel as though there is energy throughout everyone and thing, I just can't connect with it. I feel similarly with deities. Ásatrú appeals to me for a path to follow (or at least try out). I also feel that each God/dess get's their power from those who worship or simply acknowledge them. I would like to see God/desses as someone I deeply respect, but not quite worship. I don't want to pledge my life or soul to them.

hope this makes sense.

As Jennett suggested, some form of guided meditation can help you connect with that energy. The way I did it was to first focus on how it ran through me. From there its a matter of broadening your scope and view.

As for deity. My view is that they do not need worship, require or expect it always.For some people it may be the only way that they can connect with deity. But my relationships with deity are built on a mutual respect and caring. Not on my worship of them or their ordering around of me.

Deity of choice is something else I noticed in your post. IMO its not that simple.
Years ago I saw a beautiful woman, perfect looks, perfect body, bright and successful. She would have been my wife of choice. However nothing clicked, we had nothing in common ( other than stunning good looks ;) ) I instead married a woman that was not all those things, but was perfect for me. We connected.
 When you open yourself up to that energy, to the Divine, you will likely find that you will stumble upon the deity that is best suited for you, that you can build a relationship with. From there your life will be enriched and changed.

Last bit of advise........ be patient. It all takes time, and that can be frustrating. But in the end it is so worth it.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 03:35:53 pm »
I've been looking deep into what I want to get out of being pagan (still discovering my path) and religion in general.

It's a good task to set for oneself but also a dangerious journey.  When we set out to discover what we want from a thing I find in my experience that most will only settle upon what they find enjoyable and desirable.  I suppose some might eequate it to the going in for cake and ice cream only and ignoring the other food groups because they do not offer them something they want.

Spirituality and religion are both like that.  You can pick and choose the facets of something you like and ignore the bad parts, but to me that leaves one unbalanced and ill prepared.

I feel as though there is energy throughout everyone and thing, I just can't connect with it.

There is a time and a place for all things.  Sometimes when one only looks for the part they like they automaticaly tune themselves out from the part the dislike.  I dislike death energy for instance yet I do acknowledge and accept it as part of the whole.  Though I know I could not survive off of it alone any more than I can survive off of the life energy alone.

I also feel that each God/dess get's their power from those who worship or simply acknowledge them.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  Those I honor, worship and am swron to exist whether I worship them or not.  I will agree that I think there is probably an increase in available energy they can call upon and control through thier worshippers.  Figure that as a living being I have a set amount of life force or energy contained within me if that energy is directed and focused upon a given god / goddess then it is available to them to use.

I would like to see God/desses as someone I deeply respect, but not quite worship. I don't want to pledge my life or soul to them.

That is up to the individual god / goddess and person.  Some will accept you as a shirttail follower but give you the same in return.  Others will structure their support and attention upon you equal to what you give, you ignore them they ignore you, you call upon them when its convient for you they answer when its convient for them.  Then some will not give you a choice its all or nothing, and they tend to make no concessions in it.

Artemis appeared to me in my early youth and told me I am her's.  No and's if's or but's about it, I didn't even have a choice in the matter.  Hekate / Hecate was a bit different for she stood there and gave me some room to discover who she was yet also left no doubt that I was her's also but not quite so forceful about it.  Bastet and Pahket are more like cats in that they acknowledge they own you but when they want you they come up when they don't they won't.  Sort of the notio of making a cat do what you want then realizing you can't.

What do you feel when you communicate with them?

That's difficult to answer for most times it depends upon what is being communicated.  At times it's as if I am enveloped in a blanket of warmth when I am hurt and in need.  Yet, other times its like being in a blast furnace when I ignore something one desires or I break an oath I have made and sworn to a specific god / goddess.  Many times it can be pleasure or pain depending upon what is going on.

Sometimes there is this intense pressure that forms behind my eyes and just above them when I hear thier voice.  Usually that indicates a displeasure.  Other time's its more of a sense of a pressure or pounding that is at the back of my head or in my temples and I get this sense of knowing who is speaking to me.

A lot of times I wonder if it is just my mind but then will watch a deer step from the woods or simply rise up in a field and know, Yes it was Artemis as I though.  With Hecate / Hekate many times i'll hear the baying of hounds come rolling down the valley or will notice a lot of black animals about me.  Bastet and Pahket usually come with cat's or a hot breeze will blow upon my skin even in the dead of winter.

Granted those are not the only things I feel or sense but it gives an idea.

For me I am sworn and oath bound to Artemis, Hekate / Hecate above all others.  Bastet and Pahket I am sworn to but they are more distant to me and are not as hands on.  Sekor and one I simply call The Huntsman I am bound to though they were highly present in my life while I served in the Military but today more watch until I need those forces and energies about me.

Tags: