Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: how do people experience their god/desses?  (Read 3408 times)

Violet Skies

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: how do people experience their god/desses?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 09:23:33 am »
Quote from: Fireof9;96066
I climbed out of bed to post this cause I was laying there thinking about it. So excuse me if it makes little sense LOL

Why don't they I wonder? Why do they let us run around trying to find out scraps about them, coming to our own conclusions etc, shen they could just say "Hey this is how it is".
Look at all the debates on deity. Loki is big lately - that one just gets nasty at times, Morrigan - is it a title of 3 goddesses or is she just one, Freya and Frigg - two seperate or just one, The Bible and its God{s?} - I mean people will fight for days over one verse out of that....... I could sit here likely for the rest of the night, but I think you get my point. So why don't they just set the record straight I wonder? Or is it the search for truths that makes the experience spiritual for us?
I am going to bed now - maybe one of them will set me straight while I sleep ;).

I`m glad I`m not the only one who wonders this. :p  After all these religious debates about who is right and who is wrong, it would be so much easier of the god(s) just told us what the reality is so we could all just go "ooooooooooh, okay.  I get it now!"  

But, considering how dense the majority of humanity can be (including myself) we would probably still go "no, that can`t be right" fifteen minutes later.  It could also be that we simply could not comprehend the true reality.  I get the feeling that the truth is so over our heads that all we can manage is bits and pieces, and the god(s) know this.  Although, why they don`t make us so that we are able to understand is a whole other issue that I don`t have an answer to. :p

Tamina

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 12:01:09 am »
Quote from: Moonstone;96009
How do all of you experience contact with your deities? How do you know they are there? Do they answer your prayers? Do you get a direct verbal message or just a feeling?
Personally, i have never had "verbal" communication with a deity, but i can feel them there, for example Brighid feels like a warm glow, but Cernunnos feel more ancient and distant and somewhat stern.
I'm really interested to see your replies.

I've had one verbal communication ever, and even that was in my own head not my ears. Hecate woke me out of a dead sleep with the phrase "Anything Will Do!!" After I had been particularly wishy-washy over what to leave her as an offering. She's sent me other messages, a feeling I'll associate with a phrase like "get the hell on that, now." Also I communicate with her through Oracle cards as well.

Brighid uses Occurrences repetition and coincidence, all while being a nice comforting presence.

Another way that I communicate is through creative meditation where I rely on the answers to questions or the appearance if visual imagery as something supplied by whichever God I'm communicating with. It's not just for things though. I also pray, use ritual, and take symbolism from dreams.

There's also the general random thought, or felt presence and feelings or a  flash of imagery or a phrase I don't always know who it comes from because I work with Ares and Odin alongside Hecate and Bridghid. So it takes a little applied knowledge of my UPG and myth or lore.

My favorite way by far though is creative meditation. :)

Grey&Golden

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 10:03:41 am »
How do all of you experience contact with your deities? How do you know they are there? Do they answer your prayers? Do you get a direct verbal message or just a feeling?

I rely mostly on foreign feelings I experience, that I've learned to see as them. They don't have an actual voice of any sort, but I try my best to interpret with my intuition what is the gods are trying to "tell me", mainly just by interpreting their own feelings through me. I've experienced some signs through the years, but not many at all, since I tend to put great importance on signs (since the gods going out of their way to throw a physical sign at you is a big deal), so when I do think it's a sign, it's pretty chilling and sometimes scary. But, always welcome, because they seem to give signs when I truly need it.

Although I pray to the gods when need be, I don't keep track on whether or not any prayer comes to pass. First, I always think it should be really important if I'm going to approach the gods with something, so I actually don't pray that often. The most I pray for is strength during a particular event or hard time, and I do like to think that the gods help me in that sense. I think the gods want us to help ourselves for the most part and just give us a hand when needed. Think of all the millions of people that are praying every day to their respective god/s, the gods aren't going to bend fate/reality to appease everyone. So I don't use answered prayers as evidence for them, because to me, the gods don't exist just to please us.

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 11:20:03 am »
Quote from: Grey&Golden;108174
I rely mostly on foreign feelings I experience, that I've learned to see as them. They don't have an actual voice of any sort, but I try my best to interpret with my intuition what is the gods are trying to "tell me", mainly just by interpreting their own feelings through me. I've experienced some signs through the years, but not many at all, since I tend to put great importance on signs (since the gods going out of their way to throw a physical sign at you is a big deal), so when I do think it's a sign, it's pretty chilling and sometimes scary. But, always welcome, because they seem to give signs when I truly need it.

Although I pray to the gods when need be, I don't keep track on whether or not any prayer comes to pass. First, I always think it should be really important if I'm going to approach the gods with something, so I actually don't pray that often. The most I pray for is strength during a particular event or hard time, and I do like to think that the gods help me in that sense. I think the gods want us to help ourselves for the most part and just give us a hand when needed. Think of all the millions of people that are praying every day to their respective god/s, the gods aren't going to bend fate/reality to appease everyone. So I don't use answered prayers as evidence for them, because to me, the gods don't exist just to please us.

This is one of those threads I wish I started. Such a fascinating subject.

Looks like you have had similar experiences to everyone else, as a side note, I'm wondering if it was these feelings that provided you with enough evidence to convince you that gods existed? Or did you already believe in them prior to your first contact?

DashesAgainst

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 11:45:56 am »
Personally, i have never had "verbal" communication with a deity, but i can feel them there, for example Brighid feels like a warm glow, but Cernunnos feel more ancient and distant and somewhat stern.

I experience my deities as a presence which can range from a burning/pressure within to a "stomach flipping" sensation, the latter like when you're going down hill on a roller coaster.   I also see images that flash in my mind's eye.  Usually they're symbols or an animal sacred to that god, and are best described as resembling a photo-negative.  They only last for a split second, and usually happen when I let my mind wander during prayer, or sometimes when I'm drifting off to sleep or waking - often there's a presence associated with them.

ETA - I've also had my prayers answered on numerous occasions.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:50:43 am by DashesAgainst »
"Of all the rest of mankind, make him your friend who distinguishes himself by his virtue." - The Golden Verses of Pythagoras

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 12:47:22 pm »

Usually, with a feeling like a kick in the ass. Macha has only 'spoken' to me once in a dream when she said you are my priest.

Most of the time I feel a shove or push in regards to something I should be doing.

With Epona, it's more maternal, caring. Kind of 'I'm watching out for you'

Tags: