Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: How did your deity(ies) first make themselves known to you?  (Read 7753 times)

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
How did your deity(ies) first make themselves known to you?
« on: October 06, 2011, 01:55:41 am »
So, how did your deity(ies) first come into contact with you? How did he/she/they make their presence known to you?
"If it ain\'t fun, it ain\'t worth doing!"

Firaza

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: How did your deity(ies) first make themselves known to you?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 04:10:39 am »
Quote from: sephira;24223
So, how did your deity(ies) first come into contact with you? How did he/she/they make their presence known to you?

After I declared to Anpu that we were going to be a thing, He came to me in a dream, complete with pyramids and a setting sun. I don't remember much beyond that, though.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 07:02:57 am »

Well for me the one who has been with me the longest is Artemis. I was still a child pretty much when I was walking down a mountain trail. I rounded a blind in the trail and came face to face with a deer. We stood there staring at each other when I heard and felt a voice say "I am Artemis and you are mine!" That occured around my 10th birthday near as I can recall, I'm now 52 so its been a good number of years she's been with me.

Hekate was a bit different. She was a shinning woman who I ran into often in dream time or felt was watching me. One day I had an exceptionally vivid dream of this woman, mid 20's, surround in a silver / golden glow with two torch heads sticking up behind her back. It was on a forest trail and we walked until we came to a Y shaped cross roads at which time she vanished.

It would be a number of years before I put a name to her.

Bastet and Pahket were a bit different. I was off the coast of Africa in the mediterrian sea on a six month deployment. For a number of days I keep seeing the image of a large cat upon the face of the moon or in the shimmering heat waves. Then on the night of the fullest moon I can recall I saw her face upon the moon then had her visit me in dream time that night.

What made that so special was on that same voyage Artemis appeared to me in a number of persona's in different area's of the med. I saw her as the Ephesian Artemis as I was in that area, as the Orthian Artemis as we participated in a fleet exercise in that area, as the Tuarian Artemis while i was in the Black sea.

What further made it so special was it was the final deployment I would make in my Naval career before retiring. It marked the transistion point where Sekor and the Huntsman started to step away and Artemis and Hekate would step back into the main influnce in my life.

So basically Artemis in my youth until I enlisted in the Navy. Sekor and The HUntsman during the 23 years I served in the Navy and spent in service to my country. They also were the main influence during those years. Then Artemis, Hekate, Bastet and Pahket as I left the warrior's path behind me.

KittyVel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 12:22:41 pm »

Anpu has always been a part of my life, even when I was young.  He was always popping up in artwork I looked at and books I read, and finally several months ago, He was tired of me thinking that He was simply a fascination of mine and came to me rather angrily in a dream basically saying "Hey, you're MINE."  After I accepted Him, He came to me in a dream the next night acting very loving and kind.  He still pops up in the artwork of artists that I follow, and He still pokes me once in awhile for some food.  I talk to Him daily, and He always seems to listen.
<3 Rest in peace, Christiana. I love you so much, and I miss you like crazy already. At least you\'re not hurting anymore...May you ascend. <3

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 02:36:37 pm »

I have a very hard time meditating, what with my inability to focus, my dog barking at anything that moves or makes a sound, and any excuse you want to name, but one day I was actually doing it! I was blissfully walking through a field when out of nowhere an elephant foot slams down and break me out of my meditation. I didn't really know what to make of it until two nights later I had this extremely vivid dream where I was in a warehouse and there were all these live, yet small, elephants, of different colors in Indian (as in India) headdress following me around. I woke up thinking "Elephants must be my spirit animal". Later I became aware of Ganesh as the Hindu elephant headed God and then it was I MUST own everything Ganesh related that I came into contact with, STILL thinking elephants were my spirit animals. About three nights ago, in the shower, it finally clicked in my, obviously, very small brain, Ganesh was chasing me! He was the elephant foot! He was the dream! Duh! It only took a couple of months to finally understand, but it's never happened to me before so I didn't know what to look for. In the three days since I have decided that I might need to do a little more research on Him as well as Hinduism. It's quite exciting, really!
"If it ain\'t fun, it ain\'t worth doing!"

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 03:29:56 pm »

When I finally declared that Sekhmet was the way to go, she heaved a big fat sigh and said, "Finally." This was followed by one dream and the insane need to make an altar to her RIGHTTHATSECONDORELSEOMG.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Goddess_Ashtara

• Journeyman
  • DINGIR NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Nexion 3127
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 08:40:44 am »

I made a blood pact with Hell, and an angelic demon goddess reached out to me from across the universe. 

Ironically, this goddess led me to YHVH.  Other deities- primarily in the form of archangels and archdemons- became involved in my spiritual and religious practices, and came to embody the most powerful aspects of my own human Nature.  Now, I am connected far more to Heaven(s) and Hell(s) than I was before.

𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨
NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 06:16:32 pm »

As part of a story I was writing, oddly enough. For my never-will-be-finished first novel, I came up with three major deities for the fictional civilization ... and then gradually understood that they had a larger existence than that. It was quite startling to realize that something I thought I'd made up matches up exactly with classical descriptions of certain Gods.

(I approve of this thread necroamncy  ;D)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 11:44:20 pm »

Too many ways to mention, really. Was it the dream that I had when I was two years old and a young Astro Boy fan in which I saw a girl Astro Boy and longed to be with her? BTW, at almost that same point in my life I contracted a severe case of diphtheria and nearly died. You were almost rid of me entirely...missed it by that much! While it might have been fun to grow up in Heaven, I'm not the least bit sorry to be right here, right now, waiting to meet her again.

I suppose it could have been through the sermons at church, and the thrill akin to sticking one's finger in a light socket which I felt when I accepted Christ as Savior in Vacation Bible School. Or perhaps the dream I had a year or two later in which I met my three world-class guardian angels and they told me, "We're always going to be together."

I've mentioned my face-to-face with Jessica in Orlando enough times that the regulars here must be rolling their eyes, but I haven't spoken that much about fourteen years earlier when I was working at the Astroworld amusement park and a young girl, apparently about twelve years old, regularly came to the park to visit and would sit next to me in the back of the train as I delivered the spiel with a gentle smile on her face. After the Jessica thing blew wide open in 1999, at one point I got the strong impression that if I went back to Astroworld I would see Jessica again. I went. I didn't see anyone looking like the girl I met in Orlando, but when I went to the Gunslinger ride there was a young girl waving at me. When she got off the ride and exited she ran directly past me and disappeared in the crowd. It was the same girl who used to ride in the back of the train next to me in 1980, still apparently twelve years old. Hadn't aged a day.

So many layers have built one upon another that I can't really identify the "first". Right now, though, I'm waiting for the cherry on top.

I'm hungry.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Lumpino

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 10:08:21 am »

I was an atheist, but I was interested in yoga. And out of curiosity, I tried to meditate on the name of the goddess as the bhaktiyogis do. (See for example Ramakrishna and his vision of Kali - try google) And after a few months of meditations, the deity came visible to me.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 11:56:20 am »

It was gradual. From the time I was a freshman in high school I had a fascination with the Hindu deities. I knew just the basics about them, but I was fascinated nevertheless. I was in an after school TM group, after having started hatha yoga by myself. I was drawn more into Hinduism and a fascination with India because I was/am a big fan of George Harrison. I was still nominally Christian (Roman Catholic, then Eastern Orthodox), but Hinduism jibed with what I believed for a long time.

When I began playing guitar I kept a small image of Saraswati by my music area. She is the goddess of music, arts, learning, speech, literature. I felt that she help me immensely in learning and playing. One day in a new age-type store I found small colorful statues of the deities. I had to have them. I brought them home and made a little shrine (which has since grown out of all control). I worship and revere all the gods, but Krishna is my iṣṭa-devatā, my "first favorite" form of God.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 11:58:17 am »
I was an atheist, but I was interested in yoga. And out of curiosity, I tried to meditate on the name of the goddess as the bhaktiyogis do. (See for example Ramakrishna and his vision of Kali - try google) And after a few months of meditations, the deity came visible to me.

Are you a "full time" devotee of Maa Kali?

moonlightsonata

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Born in the Battle
  • Religion: Wiccan
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 02:07:12 am »

When Hecate came to me, I had a lot of signs.  Kept coming across torches,  kept drawing the torch rune, felt drawn to the Moon card, kept seeing ravens, and finding myself at Y shaped crossroads (they're actually not that common around here).  But I don't think I would have noticed it if I hadn't felt so strongly drawn to Her.  I'd look for Goddess artwork online and I'd only be interested in the pictures of Her and the Morrigan.  Then one day She showed up in a guided meditation when I was expecting Sarasvati (it was in a class so the subject was given) and She told me that She had been calling to me.

The Morrigan was similar.  Her name and Her image kept coming up.  I watched a couple of YouTube videos that mentioned Her and I could not get Her off my mind.  I was trying to ignore it because I had promised Hecate already but I felt such relief one day when I went ahead and put a picture of Her up that I asked Hecate if She was ok with my working with the Morrigan as well.  She said that had been the plan from the beginning.  :)  So I did a meditation with the Morrigan and She came to me. 

I'm very blessed in my matrons.  They have been amazingly wonderful to me.
"The life of a Witch is one filled with the awe of the worlds- Seen and Unseen; it is for the curious mind, the seeker of arcane knowledge, and for those who live on the boundaries of the Shadow-Lands" ~Vivanne Moss, "Hekate: A Devotional"

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 02:10:41 am »

I got a tattoo of the Hamilton logo, along with a lyric from the song "Wait for It": I am the one thing in life I can control; I am inimitable, I am an original. I intended it from the start as a magical spell to unlock my creativity, but for some reason after getting it I felt the urge to publicly dedicate it (on my various social media) to my childhood experiences with Broadway theater.

Several days later, while I was doing some online roleplay, I had a powerful sense that I needed to seek out a dismembered god, and from there I found Dionysos.

Later, Dionysos would send me in search of his wife Ariadne, and through that opening I'd get to know the Power I call the Maenad.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Lumpino

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 11:31:52 am »
Are you a "full time" devotee of Maa Kali?

No, I devotee another goddess. I just made an well known example by which I proceeded for a better idea. I followed the bhaktiyoga, but I called Circe. lower Greece goddess, dother of Helios.

Tags: