collapse
2019 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $650 (same as last year) to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 16 Sept 2019: $660 donated. $10 more our minimum goal! Let's beat last year's total of $99 more than the minimum!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Help identifying a Deity?  (Read 1176 times)

Pippa

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Jan 2014
  • Posts: 16
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Help identifying a Deity?
« on: January 28, 2014, 05:13:36 am »
Hello all,
So for the past month and a bit Ringtail Possums have been flocking to me, in the rain, in the heat, during the day and night; after asking around I found that this was possibly a sign of a Deity taking interest in me. After much googling (and reading through terribly scanned documents) I discerned that there is only one Deity associated with possums, apparently the Mayan God Mam, however according to different sources this is either one God and a God of evil, or the name for one of three possible Gods.

I was wondering if anyone here had any knowledge of this or could point me in the right research direction? I know nothing of Mayan Gods as my faith has mainly centred around cultures I descend from.

Blessed be,
)O(

savveir

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 460
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying a Deity?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 08:31:02 am »
Quote from: Pippa;138033
Hello all,
So for the past month and a bit Ringtail Possums have been flocking to me, in the rain, in the heat, during the day and night; after asking around I found that this was possibly a sign of a Deity taking interest in me. After much googling (and reading through terribly scanned documents) I discerned that there is only one Deity associated with possums, apparently the Mayan God Mam, however according to different sources this is either one God and a God of evil, or the name for one of three possible Gods.

I was wondering if anyone here had any knowledge of this or could point me in the right research direction? I know nothing of Mayan Gods as my faith has mainly centred around cultures I descend from.

Blessed be,
)O(


How are they flocking to you? Could just be that they're nesting somewhere near by. Possums live pretty well around humans since we do things like plant fruit trees, leave food around etc.

I am at a bit of a loss as to why you're associating ringtail possums with a Mayan God, given that they are a very distinctly Australian animal(not at all like opossums, which are not found in Aus) . Whilst there may be Indigenous lore about native possums, I wouldn't know how to navigate that in terms of cultural appropriation. I would suggest thinking about what aspects of the possums are sticking out to you, and looking for a deity from there. It makes sense for a deity to use what animals are around if you get my drift.

I hope that helps
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Pippa

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Jan 2014
  • Posts: 16
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying a Deity?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:45:04 am »
Quote from: savvy;138040
How are they flocking to you? Could just be that they're nesting somewhere near by. Possums live pretty well around humans since we do things like plant fruit trees, leave food around etc.

I am at a bit of a loss as to why you're associating ringtail possums with a Mayan God, given that they are a very distinctly Australian animal(not at all like opossums, which are not found in Aus) . Whilst there may be Indigenous lore about native possums, I wouldn't know how to navigate that in terms of cultural appropriation. I would suggest thinking about what aspects of the possums are sticking out to you, and looking for a deity from there. It makes sense for a deity to use what animals are around if you get my drift.

I hope that helps

 
They've been coming up to me during the day time it's been really unusual behaviour, and yes I'm realising that probably was rather stupid of me. Thanks for your help :)

savveir

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 460
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying a Deity?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:57:19 am »
Quote from: Pippa;138046
They've been coming up to me during the day time it's been really unusual behaviour, and yes I'm realising that probably was rather stupid of me. Thanks for your help :)

 
I'm not saying you're stupid Pippa, only suggesting ruling out the mundane first. I agree that is unusual behaviour for possums, I'd be a little concerned about it, rule out thinks like predators, local building that may have them spooked and injury. If nothing else it's worth thinking about for their well being. Aside from that, they can well be a sign of something, I didn't intend to imply that they weren't.
Also just because it's an Australian native animal, doesn't mean it isn't pointing towards a deity of another culture, even those of your background. By the same token, could be a spirit instead.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Pippa

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Jan 2014
  • Posts: 16
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Help identifying a Deity?
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 09:05:12 am »
Quote from: savvy;138047
I'm not saying you're stupid Pippa, only suggesting ruling out the mundane first. I agree that is unusual behaviour for possums, I'd be a little concerned about it, rule out thinks like predators, local building that may have them spooked and injury. If nothing else it's worth thinking about for their well being. Aside from that, they can well be a sign of something, I didn't intend to imply that they weren't.
Also just because it's an Australian native animal, doesn't mean it isn't pointing towards a deity of another culture, even those of your background. By the same token, could be a spirit instead.

Thank you :) no I wasn't saying you were I was just feeling stupid over it haha. I'm not sure where to even start with figuring out how it could be related to another deity or a spirit though >< usually with spirits I feel them near though.

savveir

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 460
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying a Deity?
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 09:08:11 am »
Quote from: Pippa;138048
Thank you :) no I wasn't saying you were I was just feeling stupid over it haha. I'm not sure where to even start with figuring out how it could be related to another deity or a spirit though >< usually with spirits I feel them near though.

 
Is there a pantheon you already work with or are drawn to? If nothing else it's somewhere to start.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Pippa

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Jan 2014
  • Posts: 16
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Help identifying a Deity?
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 09:16:58 am »
Quote from: savvy;138049
Is there a pantheon you already work with or are drawn to? If nothing else it's somewhere to start.

Yes, the Norse panetheon.

savveir

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 460
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying a Deity?
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 09:19:04 am »
Quote from: Pippa;138050
Yes, the Norse panetheon.

 
Well, it might be worth meditating on the qualities of the animal and seeing where it might fit in? I can't offer more help than that, I know very little on the Norse Pantheon.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Valentine

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 936
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 78
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Help identifying a Deity?
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 10:54:11 am »
Quote from: Pippa;138033
Hello all,
So for the past month and a bit Ringtail Possums have been flocking to me, in the rain, in the heat, during the day and night; after asking around I found that this was possibly a sign of a Deity taking interest in me. After much googling (and reading through terribly scanned documents) I discerned that there is only one Deity associated with possums, apparently the Mayan God Mam, however according to different sources this is either one God and a God of evil, or the name for one of three possible Gods.

I was wondering if anyone here had any knowledge of this or could point me in the right research direction? I know nothing of Mayan Gods as my faith has mainly centred around cultures I descend from.

Blessed be,
)O(

 
You're sure there aren't any closer to home?  There's only one species of opossum anywhere BUT Australia and surrounds--I have to imagine there are numerous powers associated with them where you are, where there are more and more kinds of them.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Fausta

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 413
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying a Deity?
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 12:36:29 pm »
Quote from: savvy;138051
Well, it might be worth meditating on the qualities of the animal and seeing where it might fit in?

 
I'd go with that, too. Kind of "what animal not found in this area could a ringtail possum be standing in for?" -thought process.

Pippa

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Jan 2014
  • Posts: 16
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying a Deity?
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 09:34:04 pm »
Quote from: savvy;138051
Well, it might be worth meditating on the qualities of the animal and seeing where it might fit in? I can't offer more help than that, I know very little on the Norse Pantheon.

 
Thanks, I think that's a good starting place at least :)

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
1364 Views
Last post December 01, 2011, 06:53:45 pm
by Jujulinda
4 Replies
931 Views
Last post February 08, 2012, 03:05:50 pm
by Waldhexe
5 Replies
717 Views
Last post December 23, 2013, 10:28:27 pm
by Breeze
4 Replies
792 Views
Last post March 02, 2014, 04:50:28 pm
by Leirion
21 Replies
3383 Views
Last post July 10, 2014, 11:26:53 am
by a.walker.abroad

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 29
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall