Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Having Trouble Opening Up to Deities Outside My Pantheon  (Read 1887 times)

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
Having Trouble Opening Up to Deities Outside My Pantheon
« on: November 10, 2012, 09:20:52 pm »
I was hoping I could get advice, thoughts, or whatever from you folks.

So, three times (or at least twice) in the past year, I've gotten poked in the brain by Zeus and Athena.

The first two times I did some small devotionals, but set those aside in favor of the Netjeru. (The second time was around the time I started to get really devoted to Bast.) It wasn't necessarily an easy decision, but I did it.

This third time I followed after Renenutet and Shai and ended up at Zeus's doorstep again. Now I have a small shrine where I pour libations to Zeus and Athena. (If you want to read my slightly insane thoughts about it, go here: Straying From Home.)

But I'm having trouble "letting the gods in" if that makes sense. I'm comfortable with the Netjeru, with the little practice I'm building for myself, and don't even know why deities outside of my pantheon would have any interest in me whatsoever. I almost wonder if the universe is f-g with me.

On the other hand, it appears these two may want something from me, and I would rather not piss them off. They seem fairly happy with just libations in the morning and evening at this point. It makes me wonder if I'm the butt of some cosmic joke here. :\

I have no idea what to do at this point. I barely have enough time to dedicate to Bast and her Pesedjet. What am I supposed to do?
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Having Trouble Opening Up to Deities Outside My Pantheon
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 08:38:06 am »
Quote from: Shine;80413
I have no idea what to do at this point. I barely have enough time to dedicate to Bast and her Pesedjet. What am I supposed to do?

The choice is yours. Just because a deity pokes you doesn't mean you are required to respond, especially if the deity is an outsider to your beliefs.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Nachtigall

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 09:11:03 am »
I was hoping I could get advice, thoughts, or whatever from you folks.

So, three times (or at least twice) in the past year, I've gotten poked in the brain by Zeus and Athena.

The first two times I did some small devotionals, but set those aside in favor of the Netjeru. (The second time was around the time I started to get really devoted to Bast.) It wasn't necessarily an easy decision, but I did it.

This third time I followed after Renenutet and Shai and ended up at Zeus's doorstep again. Now I have a small shrine where I pour libations to Zeus and Athena. (If you want to read my slightly insane thoughts about it, go here: Straying From Home.)

But I'm having trouble "letting the gods in" if that makes sense. I'm comfortable with the Netjeru, with the little practice I'm building for myself, and don't even know why deities outside of my pantheon would have any interest in me whatsoever. I almost wonder if the universe is f-g with me.

On the other hand, it appears these two may want something from me, and I would rather not piss them off. They seem fairly happy with just libations in the morning and evening at this point. It makes me wonder if I'm the butt of some cosmic joke here. :\

Why do you think it's a *problem*? Do you think you are obligated to answer to all the deities that may want something from you, or are you feeling that you are missing out on something important, or...?
If you are comfortable within your own pantheon, why do you feel that you need to be open to others?

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 09:44:23 am »
Now I have a small shrine where I pour libations to Zeus and Athena. (If you want to read my slightly insane thoughts about it, go here: Straying From Home.)

But I'm having trouble "letting the gods in" if that makes sense. I'm comfortable with the Netjeru, with the little practice I'm building for myself, and don't even know why deities outside of my pantheon would have any interest in me whatsoever.
The Olympians might not be such outside outsiders anymore, actually. I've heard of poems that mention them going to war with the Netjeru on one hand, and on the other... Hermes Trismegistus (who has two daddies, Hermes and Thoth,) Serapis (ditto, except Hades and Osiris), and Zeus Ammon or Amun.

It's more like the pantheon-in-law. :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 09:45:05 am by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 11:16:24 am »
Quote from: Nachtigall;80443
Why do you think it's a *problem*? Do you think you are obligated to answer to all the deities that may want something from you, or are you feeling that you are missing out on something important, or...?
If you are comfortable within your own pantheon, why do you feel that you need to be open to others?

I think it's the fact they keep coming around that makes me wonder if there's something I'm missing or need to do.

The only other time when I've been this "god-bothered" was when Bast gave me a thwap two years ago. I guess I'm just wondering what the hell's up.

On the one hand, I'm completely happy with my pantheon and my little track. On the other, I would hate to miss an important lesson (or whatever) because I was stubborn.

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 11:19:07 am »
Quote from: triple_entendre;80446
The Olympians might not be such outside outsiders anymore, actually. I've heard of poems that mention them going to war with the Netjeru on one hand, and on the other... Hermes Trismegistus (who has two daddies, Hermes and Thoth,) Serapis (ditto, except Hades and Osiris), and Zeus Ammon or Amun.

It's more like the pantheon-in-law. :)

Pantheon-in-law. LOL. In some ways a Greco-Kemetic mix--whether temporary or whatever--might be possible since I'm not really a traditional Kemetic anymore.

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 02:30:08 pm »

Have you tried to ask them why they do this?

It doesn't necessarily mean that they want you as eternal devotee, maybe there's an issue they think they can help you temporarily with or something. I have the impression some deities just do pop in when they are needed (either because they like doing stuff in their field of expertise and are happy to help or because they know a grateful human might give them something in return).

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 01:16:42 am »
Quote from: Shine;80465
Pantheon-in-law. LOL. In some ways a Greco-Kemetic mix--whether temporary or whatever--might be possible since I'm not really a traditional Kemetic anymore.

I think some form of Graeco-Kemetic practice might be a good idea, at least for now, if you want. I hadn't planned on a Graeco-Kemetic syncretic mix when I started out either, but that's what I've ended up with. It can be done if you want to pursue it, though it does take a while to get your head around it. If you want to chat about it via PM, I'd be happy to offer some advice if it's something you'd be interested in exploring.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 10:19:24 am »
Quote from: Waldhexe;80481
Have you tried to ask them why they do this?

It doesn't necessarily mean that they want you as eternal devotee, maybe there's an issue they think they can help you temporarily with or something. I have the impression some deities just do pop in when they are needed (either because they like doing stuff in their field of expertise and are happy to help or because they know a grateful human might give them something in return).

I've tried asking them to please let me know what's up. Maybe I need to go the more risky route: "Please let me know why you're here and what you want. And there's no need to be subtle. Hit me with a brick because that's the only way you'll get through to me."

Hey, it's worked before. I don't recall always liking the results, but you get what you ask for. ;)

Tags: