collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Having a matron goddess but calling on other goddesses/pantheons as well?  (Read 1377 times)

earthbride

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Hello!

I do believe that I have a matron goddess - the Greek goddess Artemis. I feel especially drawn to her and I have a shrine for her in my room.

I'm curious, is it considered disrespectful to call on other goddesses when you feel aligned with a matron? An example that came to mind is reading about the Wiccan holidays, such as honoring the Irish goddess Brid at Imbolc. I suppose I'm wondering the same for other goddesses in general. I am Dianic, so I don't feel as drawn or connected to male power at all whatsoever and prefer to believe that both male and female power inhabits the Goddess.

For smaller examples, like spells on certain things, would it be disrespectful to call to Aphrodite/Venus in a friendship/love spell or something similar?

I do love mythology and while I do feel drawn to one particular goddess, I want to honor the rest of the goddesses as well. I don't want to stick to one pantheon either, but I am hesitant on branching out because from what I've read, that might be considered disrespectful as well.

Thanks!

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Jack of Many Trades
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Quote from: earthbride;118651
Hello!

I do believe that I have a matron goddess - the Greek goddess Artemis. I feel especially drawn to her and I have a shrine for her in my room.

Just as a heads up, the word "matron" doesn't really mean what you think it means.

I'm curious, is it considered disrespectful to call on other goddesses when you feel aligned with a matron? An example that came to mind is reading about the Wiccan holidays, such as honoring the Irish goddess Brid at Imbolc. I suppose I'm wondering the same for other goddesses in general. I am Dianic, so I don't feel as drawn or connected to male power at all whatsoever and prefer to believe that both male and female power inhabits the Goddess.

My short answer is "no." Unless your goddess tells you otherwise, there's no inherent reason you can only pick one and go with that goddess. I work with several. I think most polytheists work with more than one.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thelittleseawitch.net

First, the word I believe you're looking for here is patron- or, if you prefer the gendered term, patroness. I know at least a few 101 books throw the word matron around, but it's not in fact the female form of patron; it refers to a married, widowed, or elderly woman, and has some connotations of being frumpy or dowdy. Not really the best term for Artemis, on any point.

I'm curious, is it considered disrespectful to call on other goddesses when you feel aligned with a matron?

For smaller examples, like spells on certain things, would it be disrespectful to call to Aphrodite/Venus in a friendship/love spell or something similar?

I don't want to stick to one pantheon either, but I am hesitant on branching out because from what I've read, that might be considered disrespectful as well.

There's nothing disrespectful about having working relationships with multiple deities; many people do. The issue of respect comes more into play in how you approach it. I don't involve deities in my spellwork, in general, so I'm not the best resource on how to approach that kind of work.

There's also nothing wrong with working across multiple pantheons. It's just important to be mindful of who you're working with, and whether you're expecting them to work together. It's a good idea to keep your work separate to start, until you get a feel for things.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 01:18:24 pm by Juni »
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

The Little Sea Witch - personal/catch-all blog
MistSeeking - religious blog

earthbride

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Juni;118653
First, the word I believe you're looking for here is patron- or, if you prefer the gendered term, patroness. I know at least a few 101 books throw the word matron around, but it's not in fact the female form of patron; it refers to a married, widowed, or elderly woman, and has some connotations of being frumpy or dowdy. Not really the best term for Artemis, on any point.

Thank you for that! I previously used the term "patron" but I suddenly felt stupid because I saw a lot of people use "matron" and I was like oh.. duh.. genders... but good to know some clarification now! Thank you for your other insight as well! It's very appreciated. :)

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
I'm curious, is it considered disrespectful to call on other goddesses when you feel aligned with a matron?

No.  Unless you've made oaths to be exclusive to your deity, I don't think They'd be bothered by you reaching out to others.  My patroness (thanks for that term, Juni, I like it!) is Nerthus, an Earth Goddess, and She asks some difficult things of me that I would be hesitant to give to any other Goddess that I gladly do for Her; but I have other deities that I honor as well.  None of them are in opposition to Her either, which helps.

I recently read Alaric Albertsson's Travels Through Middle Earth, and he argues that while it's not disrespectful to call on a deity you are less familiar with for a domain they are in charge of; Deities are Deities, and by human standards, they're pretty good at most everything.  Artemis certainly isn't a Goddess of love, but I don't think she'd mind helping out with your love life if you two have a good reciprocal relationship - and she's probably more willing to help then a deity you haven't worked with before would be.
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
Hello!

I do love mythology and while I do feel drawn to one particular goddess, I want to honor the rest of the goddesses as well. I don't want to stick to one pantheon either, but I am hesitant on branching out because from what I've read, that might be considered disrespectful as well.

Thanks!

Not according to anything I've ever read or for that matter heard of from anyone's upg. Can't say my personal experiences would suggest that either. From what I gather, having a patron does not mean to exclude others, but to honor one particularly because they have a special importance to you in your life. Just because the sailor reveres Poseidon before others does not mean that they are forbidden to revere others or does not.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Riothamus12;118683
Not according to anything I've ever read or for that matter heard of from anyone's upg. Can't say my personal experiences would suggest that either. From what I gather, having a patron does not mean to exclude others, but to honor one particularly because they have a special importance to you in your life. Just because the sailor reveres Poseidon before others does not mean that they are forbidden to revere others or does not.

I have read UPG from various persons stating they've been direct to work exclusively with a pantheon or in some cases with a particular deity for their own good (some UPG I've read actually has a person step away from their patron for a time to work with a wholly unrelated deity).

I would say, honor your patron first and foremost, proceed with caution, and should you get the feeling your patron disapproves (whether of the deity / spirit / being you're working with or a task you intend to take etc) take a step back.

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
Quote from: Asch;118685
I have read UPG from various persons stating they've been direct to work exclusively with a pantheon or in some cases with a particular deity for their own good (some UPG I've read actually has a person step away from their patron for a time to work with a wholly unrelated deity).

I would say, honor your patron first and foremost, proceed with caution, and should you get the feeling your patron disapproves (whether of the deity / spirit / being you're working with or a task you intend to take etc) take a step back.

True. Not everything is the same for everyone. One should operate in accordance with what they find works for them.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Tags: