Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Have any of you worked with any monotheistic deities as Pagans?  (Read 3526 times)

Valdi

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Have any of you worked with any monotheistic deities as Pagans?
« on: October 15, 2011, 08:00:14 am »
Have any of you worked with the Islamic, Christian, Mormon, Jewish, Sikh or other monotheistic religion's deities since you have become Pagan?

If so, what have been your experiences with them? Were they pleasant or unpleasant? If you did work with them, did you ask about, or discuss, the whole monotheism thing? Did you get a response on that?

If you worked with multiple ones, for example, you've worked with the Islamic, Christian and Sikh ones, have any of them acted differently?

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Have any of you worked with any monotheistic deities as Pagans?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:26:45 am »
Quote from: Valdi;25515
Have any of you worked with the Islamic, Christian, Mormon, Jewish, Sikh or other monotheistic religion's deities since you have become Pagan?

No.
Why would I? I left the religion I was raised in behind me in a conscious act.
I have no desire to try to connect to the god of it in any way. Especially since we've never had a connection in the first place.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 12:39:32 pm »

If so, what have been your experiences with them? Were they pleasant or unpleasant? If you did work with them, did you ask about, or discuss, the whole monotheism thing? Did you get a response on that?

If you worked with multiple ones, for example, you've worked with the Islamic, Christian and Sikh ones, have any of them acted differently?

Not since I left Christianity
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Ursula

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 12:51:35 pm »

Well... with Jesus.  Although whether he is a god or not depends on whether you accept Christian teaching so maybe that whole thing is a non-starter.  The terminology doesn't really matter to me anyway.  

I've only skirted around the whole monotheism thing, not addressed it directly, but I know he knows it anyway, but doesn't seem to be angry, more like a briefly disappointed dad if you know what I mean!

Senola Kari

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 10:18:41 am »

I still feel a connection to Mary. She is the figure after whom I was named. I have a little altar erected to her. I still live in a Christian house so statues and pictures of Mary are readily available from the past years when I have collected them.
Please light a candle at my shrine to Ishtar and Tammuz. http://nshrine.com/shrine/IshtarAndTammuz

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 10:15:56 pm »

I don't really "work with" deities but interestingly enough I feel a connection to Allah. Not in a worshiping sense, but because I stand up for him and his children (followers). I've built wonderful relationships with followers of Islam and many of them have been as beautiful inside as anyone I've ever seen. I think, for that, he does offer me a bit of strength or comfort even when I don't ask for it.

He recognizes that I will never be among his faithful, but something makes me feel that he doesn't care about that nearly as much as people think he does. This is all my own UPG of course.
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

Rowanfox

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 06:31:00 pm »

Whenever someone I know from one of those faiths asks for prayers or help, I will do what I can from a magical point of view, but any supplications to deity I make to their gods.... not really sure my gods would give a spit, and I have never had the sense that their gods were offended by my requests. Many Christians believe in the power of multiple pray-ers to augment prayers. I don't mind pitching in my voice if they feel it helps.

drgong

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 09:33:22 pm »

How about Mithras and other more, monotheistic Pagan deities?

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 07:02:39 pm »

I'm rather fascinated by Aten, but it's mostly academic. Does that count?
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

SirenSinging

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 05:55:22 pm »

Actually, it was the Archangels who started me down the path I am on right now, and really I could not have it any other way as they remain as a positive aspect of my life - they have been my spiritual rocks of sorts. Also I had a connection with Mother Mary, as when I was having troubles in my life where everything was restricted, I was able to go a actively worship her in a Catholic Church and I would just talk to her as if a daughter would to a mother - that is what the connection was like.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:56:12 pm by SirenSinging »

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 07:01:15 am »

I don't consider Christianity monotheistic. I believe the creator that Jesus speaks of is both masculine and feminine (Father and Holy Spirit). I find that even though I was raised atheist I feel a connection with Christ and I don't feel the idea of a creator interferes with my pagan beliefs.

Tags: