Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Gorgon vision  (Read 2194 times)

Arcadia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Gorgon vision
« on: February 27, 2012, 07:46:25 am »
This afternoon whilst meditating, I had an intense vision.

The backdrop was a beautiful coastal cliff looking out onto the ocean and the blue sky and bright sunshine. from the horizon appeared a human sized stone statue which I understood to be a Gorgon. It moved closer and closer until it filled my field of vision.

It's appearance was much like this photo:

I was aware that it was very significant that it held it's hands in the shape of a heart in front of it's body like this:

It remained stone and did not move or change expression.

I felt no emotion, and did not feel threatened by it. But I felt it looking into me and that it was conveying a message.

The name Gorgon appeared in my mind and then it slowly backed away from me from whence it came.

I have had a look at the entry Medusa and the Gorgons

Considering the coastal setting, I found it interesting that
The poet Hesiod seems to have imagined the Gorgones as reef-creating sea-daemones, personifications of the deadly submerged reefs which posed such a danger to ancient mariners. As such he names the three petrifyers daughters of dangerous sea-gods. One also bears a distincty marine name, Euryale, "she of the wide briny sea".

The Gorgon has the power to turn onlookers into stone and the blood of a Gorgon causing various phenomenon such as snakes springing from the ground and creating the Pegasus (Medusa).

If I am not mistaken, I understand that Gorgons were frequently carved onto buildings etc for protection and in Myth a lock of Gorgon's hair (snake) was also considered protective (Paus. viii. 47. § 4; Apollod. ii. 7. § 3.)
When Heracles went out against Lacedaemon he gave the lock of hair to Sterope, the daughter of Cepheus, as a protection of the town of Tegea, as the sight of it would put the enemy to fight.

and the blood magical
Pseudo-Apollodorus, Bibliotheca 2. 144 (trans. Aldrich) (Greek mythographer C2nd A.D.)
As a surgeon Asklepios (Asclepius) became so skilled in his profession that he not only saved lives but even revived the dead; for he had received from Athene the blood that had coursed through the Gorgo's veins, the left-side portion of which he used to destroy people, but that on the right he used for their preservation, which is how he could revive those who had died

Seneca, Medea 828 ff (trans. Miller) (Roman tragedy C1st A.D.)

[The witch Medea employs a variety of fabulous ingredients in a spell of magical fire:]
I have gifts from Chimaera's middle part, I have flames caught from the bull's scorched throat, which, well mixed with Medusa's gall, I have bidden to guard their bane in silence.

I am unsure of what to make of this vision. There is a very significant message here. I don't know whether it is positive or negative, as the Gorgon could be both, in that it can directly harm by turning you into stone, or heal with it's blood for example.

Can anyone shed some light? Resources, UPG, thoughts are all welcome :)
Guided be the hand and mind
[/FONT]

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Gorgon vision
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:40:09 am »
Quote from: Arcadia;44232
I am unsure of what to make of this vision. There is a very significant message here. I don't know whether it is positive or negative, as the Gorgon could be both, in that it can directly harm by turning you into stone, or heal with it's blood for example.

I have no idea what you should make of the vision. What did you feel about it as you had it? Positive? Negative?
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Arcadia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:55:40 am »
Quote from: RandallS;44243
What did you feel about it as you had it? Positive? Negative?

That's the funny thing, I didn't feel either. Which has me baffled. Usually I have a sense at least of some kind of emotional response. All I had was a sense it was important and to pay attention.

I remember it's presence and a sense of being watched through it's eyes, whether by it, or by someone looking through them, I don't know.

It's the heart shaped hands that throw me, that's just plain odd.... coming from a Gorgon it is anyway.
[/FONT]

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 06:42:38 pm »
Quote from: Arcadia;44247
It's the heart shaped hands that throw me, that's just plain odd.... coming from a Gorgon it is anyway.

Could the Gorgon be part of the message rather than the messenger?
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Arcadia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 06:44:08 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;44318
Could the Gorgon be part of the message rather than the messenger?

I'm beginning to suspect this may be the case.
[/FONT]

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 02:06:09 am »
Quote from: Arcadia;44319
I'm beginning to suspect this may be the case.

Did you ever figure this one out?

I had something similar. I'm still trying to figure it out. I've allowed much intervening noise (study, chores, fitness, net, creating, angsting) hoping that something is going to come to me. I've been able to make connections when I leave something like this on the periphery of my mind rather than meditate on it. I've begun to think I my have to carve out a stack of hours to just sit and not think - no internal noise. I've not tried that yet. I don't know if I can swing it especially that last part.

I hope you've had luck in any event.

earth_dragon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 09:42:31 pm »
Quote from: Arcadia;44232
This afternoon whilst meditating, I had an intense vision.

The backdrop was a beautiful coastal cliff looking out onto the ocean and the blue sky and bright sunshine. from the horizon appeared a human sized stone statue which I understood to be a Gorgon. It moved closer and closer until it filled my field of vision.

It's appearance was much like this photo:

I was aware that it was very significant that it held it's hands in the shape of a heart in front of it's body like this:

It remained stone and did not move or change expression.

I felt no emotion, and did not feel threatened by it. But I felt it looking into me and that it was conveying a message.

The name Gorgon appeared in my mind and then it slowly backed away from me from whence it came.

I have had a look at the entry Medusa and the Gorgons

Considering the coastal setting, I found it interesting that

The Gorgon has the power to turn onlookers into stone and the blood of a Gorgon causing various phenomenon such as snakes springing from the ground and creating the Pegasus (Medusa).

If I am not mistaken, I understand that Gorgons were frequently carved onto buildings etc for protection and in Myth a lock of Gorgon's hair (snake) was also considered protective (Paus. viii. 47. § 4; Apollod. ii. 7. § 3.)

and the blood magical
Pseudo-Apollodorus, Bibliotheca 2. 144 (trans. Aldrich) (Greek mythographer C2nd A.D.)

Seneca, Medea 828 ff (trans. Miller) (Roman tragedy C1st A.D.)

Can anyone shed some light? Resources, UPG, thoughts are all welcome :)

I know nothing of your situations or circumstances, and I realize I may be stretching a bit. But upon reading this my *immediate* reaction was "heart of stone" and I wondered if someone had set themselves against you. Also, snakes are "cold blooded" and known to *strike out* when they feel threatened. All of those things are symbolism involved with your vision.

I just couldn't help but wonder if maybe someone had set themselves against you. I hope not. It was just a feeling I got. (((HUGS)))

Kessei

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 12:15:16 pm »
Quote from: Arcadia;44247

I recall hearing that the "heart" shape originated in the late renaissance or early modern era as a symbol of love/romance because it was the appearance of a vulva with the labia spread.

That, the ocean, and a woman with "stone" "snakes"? If it were my vision, I'd assume this dream had something to do with fertility, heterosexual sex, or sexual dualism/balance. YMMV. :)

Arcadia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 07:36:17 am »
Quote from: earth_dragon;50375
I know nothing of your situations or circumstances, and I realize I may be stretching a bit. But upon reading this my *immediate* reaction was "heart of stone" and I wondered if someone had set themselves against you. Also, snakes are "cold blooded" and known to *strike out* when they feel threatened. All of those things are symbolism involved with your vision.

I just couldn't help but wonder if maybe someone had set themselves against you. I hope not. It was just a feeling I got. (((HUGS)))

At the time of the vision I had been feeling pretty crabby and defensive and impatient. I'd say I was the one with the heart of stone, the one lashing out because I felt blah.
[/FONT]

Arcadia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 07:42:01 am »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;50216
Did you ever figure this one out?

I had something similar. I'm still trying to figure it out. I've allowed much intervening noise (study, chores, fitness, net, creating, angsting) hoping that something is going to come to me. I've been able to make connections when I leave something like this on the periphery of my mind rather than meditate on it. I've begun to think I my have to carve out a stack of hours to just sit and not think - no internal noise. I've not tried that yet. I don't know if I can swing it especially that last part.

I hope you've had luck in any event.

I have given this a lot of thought. The vision hasn't really left me. I have come to understand it was a warning of sorts, to take a look at how I was reacting emotionally and how that was affecting my loved ones.

But there's something else too. Since the vision I have seen references to Madusa everywhere. At first I had thought Medusa was only relevant in her role as a Gorgon. But it's more than that. I can't ignore the amount of references to Medusa I am getting in everyday life.

How about you? You said something similar happened to you? Did you mean the context of the meditation ie Gorgon/Medusa or that you had a vision you were similarly trying to decipher?
[/FONT]

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 10:23:25 pm »
Quote from: Arcadia;53383
I have given this a lot of thought. The vision hasn't really left me. I have come to understand it was a warning of sorts, to take a look at how I was reacting emotionally and how that was affecting my loved ones.

But there's something else too. Since the vision I have seen references to Madusa everywhere. At first I had thought Medusa was only relevant in her role as a Gorgon. But it's more than that. I can't ignore the amount of references to Medusa I am getting in everyday life.

How about you? You said something similar happened to you? Did you mean the context of the meditation ie Gorgon/Medusa or that you had a vision you were similarly trying to decipher?

I had a vision/dream I am still trying to decipher. Or maybe two. They seem connected and I haven't been able to figure the lot of it out.  Mine is sticking with me too. I get a little shiver when I recall it. Nothing to do with Medusa though that I can tell.

I got the full on tingles when reading yours and it reminded me of the intensity of mine. Even some of the details struck a chord like the sea, and the sort of zooming in, and the feeling that you were being communicated with and being looked at intently.

It's interesting that you take it as a warning. I've felt that too with mine. I don't know how to describe the feeling well except that it feels deeply important.

Medusa. Wow. I cannot say I've had consistent appearances like that. There's Hekate symbols always floating about, but I've credited that to the influence of my readings. Medusa out of nowhere, that's different and very specific. Such an image would stick with me too.

Coincidentally, I read a poem entitled Medusa recently.  She's dreaming and angry and I have felt something like that anger myself. She's a heartbreaker in the end of it.

Sorry to throw another Medusa reference at you, but it is a strange coincidence.

I am inspired that you are taking it as a warning and getting introspective with it. I will follow suit.  It's not leaving, so I figure I'll find out why one way or another.

Continued luck to you!

And if you are one who has other visions/sounds/sights often, I wish you some breaks from the thinking. IME so far, it can be very exhausting. Even when in sleep, it is as if a body is still working them or other things out. Admittedly, I am not taking my own advice there much. Been having the distinct impression that my mindscape has been less private than normal lately.

Tags: