Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Gods interacting with other gods from different pantheons  (Read 6766 times)

tothegoldenlady

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Gods interacting with other gods from different pantheons
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2016, 10:32:40 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;188596
Yes.

Have done so.

Will do so again if need be.  Would really rather not; things are better without disputes.  (But since some of my gods are ornery bastards, expecting a dispute-free life is probably unwise.)

So what would you do if your deity might not like the relationship but is a marriage deity? Choose another marriage deity to bless the wedding? Thats a lot like a slap in the face. And I wouldn't want to do that.

tothegoldenlady

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2016, 10:35:04 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;188594
I just don't get on with uber-feminine love deities, ngl. Venus and Aphrodite also are in that Not Interested category. I'm just not feminine enough to find that enriching, or enticing. But on the other hand, I can dig Sekhmet just fine, so. /swings and roundabouts, I guess?

Well, in my limited experience, Zeus is a bit bossy, and that doesn't seem ... out of character for Him? Those with a deeper relationship with Him may be of more help to you than me, though.

How you say no to a deity basically involves going up to them, and saying no, and then walking away. If they are nice, they respect your answer and bugger off. If they aren't, then you may need to call on other gods you're close to in order to get them to bugger off. I called on Hekate last night just to give me a bit more power in terms of telling Poseidon to bugger off, and it seemed to work.

But if they're a bit more persistent, you may need to call on deity allies and do some warding to make it clear you said no, and they need to leave you alone. If a god can't respect your boundaries and your non-consent to work with them, then they're probably not worth your devotion anyway. I've never had to deal with this, but I know others have, and they probably have better advice than I can probably give.

But you should never be afraid to say no to a god if they're asking for something that you're not prepared to give. Deity relationships are two-way. You give, and they give, and if the offer isn't worth it, say no and walk away.

I didn't notice that part. But how would you ward and against a deity? Sorry for the questions.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2016, 10:58:09 pm »
Quote from: tothegoldenlady;188598
So what would you do if your deity might not like the relationship but is a marriage deity? Choose another marriage deity to bless the wedding? Thats a lot like a slap in the face. And I wouldn't want to do that.

Personally?  Since I don't have a religion with a marriage sacrament, or any gods with a particular interest in marriage specially aside from it being another contract and thus falling within obligations of contracts?  Not really an issue.  Gods are welcome to come to weddings if they're invited and able to be polite, just like any other guests, as far as I'm concerned.

(I've actually managed to hash together the skeleton for a Kemetic religious wedding ritual that works for me without making me want to pull my hair out about the total lack of there being a theology that has any reason to make that thing religious, but it has taken me over a decade of active research to stumble across something that I could use as the basis for the hack and an angle from which I could make it work.)

In general, if I'm dealing with gods who don't approve of my choices I try to figure out why they don't approve of my choices and, well, maybe I take their advice and maybe I don't.  Just like with anyone else I know.  But in the end, it's my life to live, and that includes it being my life to make decisions on, and my life to bear the consequences of those decisions.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2016, 12:35:23 am »
Quote from: tothegoldenlady;188595
Ok then. My last question about that though. What if it was a deity that you do have a relationship with, and you have few other deity relationships, or at least none equivalent to that deity. Would you do the same thing?

Echoing Darkhawk with a 'I would still say no', because boundaries are a thing, and just because we have history doesn't mean I have to say yes to everything. Like marriage and godspousery. Absolutely not my thing, not even for Sobek, and I've worshipped Him for nigh on fifteen years. And yes, He did ask when we were talking about me becoming His priest and scribe, but I said no. It wasn't how I saw our relationship, and to His credit, He was willing to accept that and let it drop. We found a better way to describe our relationship that we were both happy to accept.

Also, what I'm willing to give Sobek is not the same as what I'm willing to give Heru or Isis or Wesir or Hekate or Hermes or Artemis or any other deity I have an established relationship with. Not all gods are the same, and not all deity relationships are the same. My boundaries are all different, and I am prepared to enforce them if anyone tramples over them. This is also where deity contracts can come into play, if you're the sort who likes to have things down on paper, to bind the relationship. I've never really used them, but others find them useful, so it's another way to define the boundaries of the relationship, and what happens if it's broken.

I won't by default walk away from a deity I have an established relationship with, though, unless the demands are a deal-breaker, and there's no attempt to compromise, or back off from the request. I would at least attempt to see if it can be worked through, because we've both put energy into it, and it may just be a misunderstanding, or miscommunication. I haven't yet found myself in a position where I felt I had to walk away, but I never rule it out. I have my boundaries, and I know what I'm willing to give. I will go if I need to, if it feels like the best course of action.

As for how you ward, well, it's how you ward against anything bad, really, just on a slightly higher scale. I would put protective barriers around the house, and myself, and leave GTFO energy all over the place. I call it my 'fk off' shield. It's very useful for an introvert. I'd probably also call on Sobek the Rager, maybe Set and Bast, Hermes, Hekate, anyone I think might be able to help to ward and protect and keep away. Salt barriers, magical barriers, witch bottles, execrations, whatever might be of help to get it to go away. You might also put up things the god doesn't like, or has an aversion to, to make them feel unwelcome. But like I said, I have no direct experience of this, and others who have may be in a better position to discuss this than me.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2016, 02:39:19 pm »
Quote from: tothegoldenlady;188581
So Manannan gets along well with other Hellenic Theoi, but not Poseidon.

As far as I know the only Theoi Manannan really doesn't like or get along with is Poseidon, but I only know from which Theoi I've had interactions with or tried to reach out to, which is not all of them.

So it has more to do with deity personality rather than shared jobs/interests/functions.

Ehhhhh...I'd say it's kinda a combo deal? Like, there's the job/function conflict, and then the personality clash is the cherry on the sundae.

Would you consider Manannan and Hades and Persephone warm deities then, from what you have said, even though they are deities of death, dying, and the potential of rebirth? When I say warm, I mean like, how you would say: "Jane can be stern but I find her to be very warm as well." Not many people are warm even if they may act warm or want to for whatever reason. I think its a quality that, like so many others, people have or dont.

I would consider them warm deities, though there's a difference in how that warmth presents itself -- whether that's because of their personality differences or because of the difference in my relationships with each of them, or both, I'm not sure.

With Manannan the warmth I sense is very informal, like the warmth of a loving parent's kitchen when you come home for a visit. With Hades and Persephone, the warmth I sense is more formal, like the warmth you feel from a benevolent and loving ruler whom you know you can trust.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

tothegoldenlady

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2016, 05:09:09 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;188600
Personally?  Since I don't have a religion with a marriage sacrament, or any gods with a particular interest in marriage specially aside from it being another contract and thus falling within obligations of contracts?  Not really an issue.  Gods are welcome to come to weddings if they're invited and able to be polite, just like any other guests, as far as I'm concerned.

(I've actually managed to hash together the skeleton for a Kemetic religious wedding ritual that works for me without making me want to pull my hair out about the total lack of there being a theology that has any reason to make that thing religious, but it has taken me over a decade of active research to stumble across something that I could use as the basis for the hack and an angle from which I could make it work.)

In general, if I'm dealing with gods who don't approve of my choices I try to figure out why they don't approve of my choices and, well, maybe I take their advice and maybe I don't.  Just like with anyone else I know.  But in the end, it's my life to live, and that includes it being my life to make decisions on, and my life to bear the consequences of those decisions.

Thank you. Boundaries are a thing I need to work on. Well, I hope Hera is not too offended if I don't ask her to bless my union. I respect her but I also love my fiance and am willing to work things out if they get messy. Advice is nice but blocking my relationship or standing in its way or disliking it is not. Well, disliking it is fine but much else than that is not. I guess I will just not bring up that one topic.

tothegoldenlady

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2016, 05:16:14 pm »
Quote from: Morag;188633
As far as I know the only Theoi Manannan really doesn't like or get along with is Poseidon, but I only know from which Theoi I've had interactions with or tried to reach out to, which is not all of them.

Ehhhhh...I'd say it's kinda a combo deal? Like, there's the job/function conflict, and then the personality clash is the cherry on the sundae.

I would consider them warm deities, though there's a difference in how that warmth presents itself -- whether that's because of their personality differences or because of the difference in my relationships with each of them, or both, I'm not sure.

With Manannan the warmth I sense is very informal, like the warmth of a loving parent's kitchen when you come home for a visit. With Hades and Persephone, the warmth I sense is more formal, like the warmth you feel from a benevolent and loving ruler whom you know you can trust.

Hmm, I know little about it. But I wonder if it is due to culture, as in some cultures are more welcoming than others. Not that it mirrors ancient cultures, but a few years ago I used to go to a restaurant owned by a Greek lady. She was very nice but I know that Greeks can be very formal in certain situations. This is especially mirrored in the Greek Orthodox Church, of which we have one in Charlotte,NC. Of course, I am just guessing. In truth, I am pleased to know this, as most deities of death and dying I shy away from, but still have the occasional dream that is either sexual in tone or I hear of their devotees describing their warmth or serious nature. So, thank you for sharing your experience. :)

tothegoldenlady

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2016, 05:25:35 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;188603
Echoing Darkhawk with a 'I would still say no', because boundaries are a thing, and just because we have history doesn't mean I have to say yes to everything. Like marriage and godspousery. Absolutely not my thing, not even for Sobek, and I've worshipped Him for nigh on fifteen years. And yes, He did ask when we were talking about me becoming His priest and scribe, but I said no. It wasn't how I saw our relationship, and to His credit, He was willing to accept that and let it drop. We found a better way to describe our relationship that we were both happy to accept.

Also, what I'm willing to give Sobek is not the same as what I'm willing to give Heru or Isis or Wesir or Hekate or Hermes or Artemis or any other deity I have an established relationship with. Not all gods are the same, and not all deity relationships are the same. My boundaries are all different, and I am prepared to enforce them if anyone tramples over them. This is also where deity contracts can come into play, if you're the sort who likes to have things down on paper, to bind the relationship. I've never really used them, but others find them useful, so it's another way to define the boundaries of the relationship, and what happens if it's broken.

I won't by default walk away from a deity I have an established relationship with, though, unless the demands are a deal-breaker, and there's no attempt to compromise, or back off from the request. I would at least attempt to see if it can be worked through, because we've both put energy into it, and it may just be a misunderstanding, or miscommunication. I haven't yet found myself in a position where I felt I had to walk away, but I never rule it out. I have my boundaries, and I know what I'm willing to give. I will go if I need to, if it feels like the best course of action.

As for how you ward, well, it's how you ward against anything bad, really, just on a slightly higher scale. I would put protective barriers around the house, and myself, and leave GTFO energy all over the place. I call it my 'fk off' shield. It's very useful for an introvert. I'd probably also call on Sobek the Rager, maybe Set and Bast, Hermes, Hekate, anyone I think might be able to help to ward and protect and keep away. Salt barriers, magical barriers, witch bottles, execrations, whatever might be of help to get it to go away. You might also put up things the god doesn't like, or has an aversion to, to make them feel unwelcome. But like I said, I have no direct experience of this, and others who have may be in a better position to discuss this than me.

I'm going to take both of your advice. Its just awkward when it's the Queen of the Gods, rather than say, a local Nymph or something. As far as the warding goes, I doubt I could do that. One I really don't know how to do it, and two, I don't know if it would work and I would not want the domino effect if it were to backfire/or not, idk. But I am taking both of your advice in regards to boundaries. Its been many weeks since I have given her anything as well, and I feel bad about that. Normally, every friday I pour out a libation and offer incense. In fact, I have been looking for a more daily devotion, as I know any relationship takes work. But I prize both my relationships and I must live my life. I don't want to choose between someone I love dearly and someone I respect highly. Hopefully, it is just my mind that did this, but if not, then my boundaries will stand. Thank you both again. I really have enjoyed this thread.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2016, 07:48:03 pm »
Quote from: tothegoldenlady;188655
I'm going to take both of your advice. Its just awkward when it's the Queen of the Gods, rather than say, a local Nymph or something. As far as the warding goes, I doubt I could do that. One I really don't know how to do it, and two, I don't know if it would work and I would not want the domino effect if it were to backfire/or not, idk. But I am taking both of your advice in regards to boundaries. Its been many weeks since I have given her anything as well, and I feel bad about that. Normally, every friday I pour out a libation and offer incense. In fact, I have been looking for a more daily devotion, as I know any relationship takes work. But I prize both my relationships and I must live my life. I don't want to choose between someone I love dearly and someone I respect highly. Hopefully, it is just my mind that did this, but if not, then my boundaries will stand. Thank you both again. I really have enjoyed this thread.

Have you talked to Hera about this to see if there's a way forward? You don't have to have Her bless your wedding because She's a deity of marriage; if She's a goddess you care a lot about, who cares a lot about you, it could just be a blessing based on that. If I ever got married, you bet I'd get Sobek and Heru to bless the wedding, and neither of them are marriage gods.

It's up to you and your relationships to work out, of course, and whether you feel it's worth keeping that relationship with Hera or not. I don't feel like human and god relationships should be exclusive; you can have both, you just need to work at it, like you work at any kind of human relationships.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

tothegoldenlady

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2016, 08:22:59 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;188668
Have you talked to Hera about this to see if there's a way forward? You don't have to have Her bless your wedding because She's a deity of marriage; if She's a goddess you care a lot about, who cares a lot about you, it could just be a blessing based on that. If I ever got married, you bet I'd get Sobek and Heru to bless the wedding, and neither of them are marriage gods.

It's up to you and your relationships to work out, of course, and whether you feel it's worth keeping that relationship with Hera or not. I don't feel like human and god relationships should be exclusive; you can have both, you just need to work at it, like you work at any kind of human relationships.

Yes and no. I had divined and received an answer that means that the way is closed/no/your relationship is ending or you need to end it, etc. But our relationship is fine, and the problems we have had, although major, we have worked out. I actually set boundaries and watched our relationship take off remarkably well. As for the disagreements I have in my relationship, I swallow them, as I know I can not change them nor should I. I would rather work on our problems when we have them and leave it at that, rather than have problems and then go somewhere else because there could be a better match. The truth is that there is always a better match, as the grass is always greener on the other side...with all that manure. But being with someone else only changes the person and problems. There will still be problems no matter the relationship and I see my life with this person too. Its sad really. But the divinations are rather complicated too, so, idk. I've gotten to the point that I just want to stay in the present, because I normally reside in the future or what could be or what was. And I would rather commit to this one person than anyone else. I don't mind advice, but leaving is not advice. And saying that my relationship is doomed is not either. I would rather have blessings or not, but I don't want an ultimatum. Its just sad really. I wouldn't know how to approach her on this, as she is my guide/mentor. Its all very disheartening.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2016, 05:56:19 am »
Quote from: tothegoldenlady;188677
Yes and no. I had divined and received an answer that means that the way is closed/no/your relationship is ending or you need to end it, etc. But our relationship is fine, and the problems we have had, although major, we have worked out. I actually set boundaries and watched our relationship take off remarkably well. As for the disagreements I have in my relationship, I swallow them, as I know I can not change them nor should I. I would rather work on our problems when we have them and leave it at that, rather than have problems and then go somewhere else because there could be a better match. The truth is that there is always a better match, as the grass is always greener on the other side...with all that manure. But being with someone else only changes the person and problems. There will still be problems no matter the relationship and I see my life with this person too. Its sad really. But the divinations are rather complicated too, so, idk. I've gotten to the point that I just want to stay in the present, because I normally reside in the future or what could be or what was. And I would rather commit to this one person than anyone else. I don't mind advice, but leaving is not advice. And saying that my relationship is doomed is not either. I would rather have blessings or not, but I don't want an ultimatum. Its just sad really. I wouldn't know how to approach her on this, as she is my guide/mentor. Its all very disheartening.

Okay, there's a lot going on in this paragraph, and I'm not sure I understand the situation properly. Could you clarify things a little? I don't want to go giving advice if I don't know what you need advice about.

tothegoldenlady

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2016, 03:49:33 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;188689
Okay, there's a lot going on in this paragraph, and I'm not sure I understand the situation properly. Could you clarify things a little? I don't want to go giving advice if I don't know what you need advice about.

Sometimes my mind gets blurry and I write what I am thinking, which makes things really confusing. Actually the advice you gave me before was what I  needed.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2016, 07:37:08 pm »
Quote from: tothegoldenlady;188704
Sometimes my mind gets blurry and I write what I am thinking, which makes things really confusing. Actually the advice you gave me before was what I  needed.

That's okay, I'm glad I could offer some advice. I hope things sort themselves out for you, it sounds like it's stressing you out a little. Take care of yourself.

Tags: