collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Gods as Spirit Guides  (Read 4488 times)

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
Re: Gods as Spirit Guides
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 10:14:39 am »
I know what you mean and I think, like the previous poster pointed out, that it's personal to you. I have a little different way of viewing the gods. I would describe my relationship as worship, but I do think they are "above" humans. Not better than or perfect, just capable of divine wisdom if that makes sense. I also see some gods as mentor-like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel much this same way, too. However, I don't call it worship because of the connotation with my past. I think of it more as communion than worship. I give deference and respect, but that doesn't mean that I'm weak or unworthy. I basically come into the presence of my matron. For my relationship with her, this seems to be what she would rather have. I honor her, which doesn't feel quite the same as worship to me. 
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Goddess_Ashtara

• Journeyman
  • DINGIR NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Nexion 3127
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 01:21:15 pm »
   I have never been able to worship deities. I feel like “worship” and related words puts them on this high pedestal  ‘above’ us and making them better than us when I believe that they are simply more like mentors or friends, guides on another plane of existence. I’m not talking about trying to be besties with Thor or anything, but working with them as- well like I just said: mentors, etc. But it occurs to me that maybe this is the general way people think of the gods but it’s never said. Let me give an example of what I mean:

A being I see and meet with in meditations and dreams regularly I consider my spirit guide. He’s a mentor and friend. I have inklings that he could be a pre-existing god that is merely in a simple form and using a different name, but he’s content to not have that kind of fall to your knees worship I see in my head when I think of “worship”.

Is this how people generally view the gods anyway and I’ve just had the wrong thought process? I’m trying to find others who view them the same, because I wonder about how rituals and “worship” may change because of it.

I worship several gods and goddesses, and one supreme God.

Bonds grow and develop... powerful, intimate bonds... but I find it important to remember that a god is a god and a human is a human.  There is no equality... not among humans, and especially not between humans and gods.

Sometimes, however... I see certain gods (not the supreme God) as extentions of my own human Nature, my own Will, born within the primordial waters of my own internal subconscious abyss.  If not born... then reborn, but nevertheless affected by my own thoughts and dreams and desires, my own True Will, my own goals and ambitions. Wielding the power of Creation in this manner for these kinds of  spiritual-religious purposes at times... at times makes certain deities feel like AI's that I myself have created and programmed... though I might view these "creations" as temporary vessels inhabited by numinous essence originating from elsewhere in the cosmos.  It is like they say... the Outer Form is not the Essence.

I experience a level of respect from these gods far beyond what I feel I deserve.  My abilities have often been utilized to help certain gods grow in power in some way and convey for other humans the Numinous as I have experienced it.  Certain gods have accompanied me in my odyssey... and I have accompanied certain gods in theirs.  I elevate these gods far above myself, and myself above all other humans.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:24:01 pm by Goddess_Ashtara »
𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨
NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨

MamaThistle

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft/Gaelic polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 01:52:31 pm »
I feel much this same way, too. However, I don't call it worship because of the connotation with my past. I think of it more as communion than worship. I give deference and respect, but that doesn't mean that I'm weak or unworthy. I basically come into the presence of my matron. For my relationship with her, this seems to be what she would rather have. I honor her, which doesn't feel quite the same as worship to me.

I actually had I typo there that I didn't. Price until you said that, I meant *wouldn't. ;)

I also prefer honor, worship seems a little extreme to me or something. Especially because I'm still relatively new to polytheism and trying to get to know different deities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people."

- W.B. Yeats

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 06:45:06 pm »
Oh my God I never thought I'd ever find anyone else referencing to those books. I loved those. Thanks for bringing them to my attention again.

I keep hearing good things about that series, I'll have to pick it up one of these days.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart