collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Germanic & Celtic deities on the same altar  (Read 8145 times)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Germanic & Celtic deities on the same altar
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2017, 06:32:29 pm »

A Reminder:
Hi,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder. No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

TC Forum Staff
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2017, 07:24:14 pm »
Normally I give Neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and the like time and rope to hang themselves, but you've managed to do it in just a few posts. Given I have even less patience than usual with alt-right nonsense this week (for obvious reasons), go find some other place to pollute. You are banned for spouting racial hatred.

All right, I admit it. I can be slow on the uptake. Sometimes you have to hit me with a clue-by-four. But this exchange has crystallized a couple of [what may seem to be] mutually contradictory ideas which have been kicking around in my head for some time.

First, I'm now thinking that I'm likely to meet my Girlfriend in a Jewish context. This shouldn't seem too surprising given what I've come to understand of her nature, background, and family. When I met her in Orlando she definitely described herself as Christian...but those of you who have followed my ramblings know that I believe that divine awareness takes shape in layers. I'm thinking now that they are working backwards in time from the point at which her core personality first meets my core personality from her perspective. And at that point the context is highly likely to be Jewish. Doesn't mean I'm about to ditch the Baptist church and start attending synagogue...but if I receive any feelers to establish personal relations within that community, I'll be inclined to take them seriously.

Second...something is going on with that poster's belief system (I was going to say Asatru/Heathenry, but that would unfairly smear the larger community). When you see that much hate and ugliness, consistently, what it says to me these days is that someone is actively trying to conceal whatever is actually down at the core. If what we see of the spirit behind Mr. Caol and similar was the be-all and end-all of the story, who would be interested in it? Yes, there are warped personalities in this world...but who's doing the warping and what did they start with? In the same way that my understanding of my own God is at polar opposites with many of those here, I think it possible that there may be buried treasure under all of the crap. Again, my God's restrictions against spiritual explorations out of a Biblical context are well known, and I honor them...but if we ever get to the point where he gives me permission to explore in another direction, that's where I think I'll go first.

[Bowen, party of one, your windmill is ready. Bowen, party of one.]
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2017, 09:15:25 am »
I have a bit of a love for a few gods from two different pantheons. From the Germanic pantheon I have an affinity with Thor and Tyr and from the Celtic pantheon I have an affinity wit Belenus and Grannus. I'm considering mixing it up and placing all four of them on my altar. I have heard of others placing Celtic and Germanic gods on an altar together but do you think that would be a good or bad idea with these four deities? Do you think that their energies would compliment each-other or do you think they would be too 'contradictory'?

You've got two Continental Celtic gods, one whose primary cult location is noted in Wikipedia as being inside the borders of modern Germany, and two Germanic gods.  Any notion that these powers weren't venerated by some of the same people strikes me as utterly ahistorical.  Contrary to the beliefs of white supremacists, cultural exchange is widespread through history, and adjacent peoples adopted the stuff from their neighbors that they thought was neat all the time.  The idea of some sort of hermetically sealed pure monoculture is a creepy modernism promoted by people who are either woefully ignorant of history or, well, terrible.

I don't know what you would mean about 'contradictory energies', really.  That's not, in my experience, much related to anything about how gods work.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

jverdant

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2017, 10:30:52 am »
You've got two Continental Celtic gods, one whose primary cult location is noted in Wikipedia as being inside the borders of modern Germany, and two Germanic gods.  Any notion that these powers weren't venerated by some of the same people strikes me as utterly ahistorical.  Contrary to the beliefs of white supremacists, cultural exchange is widespread through history, and adjacent peoples adopted the stuff from their neighbors that they thought was neat all the time.  The idea of some sort of hermetically sealed pure monoculture is a creepy modernism promoted by people who are either woefully ignorant of history or, well, terrible.

I don't know what you would mean about 'contradictory energies', really.  That's not, in my experience, much related to anything about how gods work.

Great point. The idea that there are separate pantheons devoted to different people would have been laughable to many of the ancients. Sure many peoples and regions had patron gods, but even early Judaism was just henotheistic and, as the prophets whined about constantly, was very prone to adopting foreign gods into its worship. Even many "classic" pantheons evolved over time and adopted and merged foreign gods. Aphrodite was an early addition to the "Greek" (as if there was such a "nation" back then rather than just language family) pantheon. Isis was a later one. Yahweh/Jahova/Iao was an even later one that eventually took over the whole shebang.

Long story short, most gods aren't jealous or bound to a place or a people. If they are, I guess they'll let you know ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags: