collapse

Important Announcement

Changing the Guard at The Cauldron

Sunflower is the new Host of The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum
Please read this thread for more information.

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Facing the God  (Read 2649 times)

AthenaiiseSofia

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 196
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
Facing the God
« on: March 23, 2012, 02:52:38 pm »
Hello, my name is Nuri, and I'm a manhater.

Perhaps that's a bit harsh... I just don't trust men. Like many others, I've been burned one too many times. I've had no honorable father figures, and romantic relationships have sucked. I'm working on these things, trust me lol. Don't get me wrong, many of my friends are guys and I have a boyfriend. But I keep them at a distance.

And I recently realized that in order to find balance in my life, I need to build a relationship with the God. I'll admit, I'm afraid. I know I shouldn't be, because of all masculine forces out there, the God is the one I can trust. I have a fabulous relationship with the Goddess(es), but I trust women. How do I build a relationship with the God, when I've never been able to build a good relationship with a regular man?

I guess my question is, where do I start? I understand that I'll have to come to terms with my pains and such, but I really don't know where to begin. I know He is waiting for me to initiate, but I"m at a complete loss. I hope there's someone out there like me who understands this problem.

As always, thank you so much for your help & input. Always a blessing.
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

Nyktelios

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 562
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Facing the God
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 04:07:10 pm »
Quote from: Nuri;46972
Hello, my name is Nuri, and I'm a manhater.

Perhaps that's a bit harsh... I just don't trust men. Like many others, I've been burned one too many times. I've had no honorable father figures, and romantic relationships have sucked. I'm working on these things, trust me lol. Don't get me wrong, many of my friends are guys and I have a boyfriend. But I keep them at a distance.

And I recently realized that in order to find balance in my life, I need to build a relationship with the God. I'll admit, I'm afraid. I know I shouldn't be, because of all masculine forces out there, the God is the one I can trust. I have a fabulous relationship with the Goddess(es), but I trust women. How do I build a relationship with the God, when I've never been able to build a good relationship with a regular man?

I guess my question is, where do I start? I understand that I'll have to come to terms with my pains and such, but I really don't know where to begin. I know He is waiting for me to initiate, but I"m at a complete loss. I hope there's someone out there like me who understands this problem.

As always, thank you so much for your help & input. Always a blessing.


Have you read Starhawk's chapter about the God of Witchcraft in her Spiral Dance book? If not, you might find it helpful, as she discusses how he is not the same as the dominant patriarchal image of manhood in western society. Starhawk is definitely a feminist, though not a man-hater, and she has some interesting things to say on the subject.

Other than that, maybe you could look into male deities you feel comfortable with. I was just reading recently that Dionysus can be considered a "Zeus for women", as Zeus himself is much more a man's deity, while Dionysus has many of the same titles and functions, yet his followers were mainly women. There are many androgynous and effeminate male deities out there if you don't feel comfortable with an alpha male kind of deity.

Altair

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: New York, New York
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2916
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 311
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Facing the God
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 04:21:28 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;46983
Have you read Starhawk's chapter about the God of Witchcraft in her Spiral Dance book? If not, you might find it helpful, as she discusses how he is not the same as the dominant patriarchal image of manhood in western society. Starhawk is definitely a feminist, though not a man-hater, and she has some interesting things to say on the subject.


It's been a while since I've read it, but I was struck by how I found Starhawk's take on manhood the *least* interesting thing about her book. (And I say that as someone for whom The Spiral Dance was otherwise an important milestone in his spiritual life.) I felt as if my entire existence as a male had been reduced to the role of rape-fighter. Really? That's all I'm about?

But it was so long ago, maybe I should read it again.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Juni

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 1683
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
    • http://thelittleseawitch.net
Re: Facing the God
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 04:24:25 pm »
Quote from: Nuri;46972


 
I'm confused- you list your religion as Hem-Neter but you're looking for the God? Could you clarify, please?
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

The Little Sea Witch - personal/catch-all blog
MistSeeking - religious blog

Lokabrenna

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 829
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Facing the God
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 04:32:46 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;46983
Have you read Starhawk's chapter about the God of Witchcraft in her Spiral Dance book? If not, you might find it helpful, as she discusses how he is not the same as the dominant patriarchal image of manhood in western society. Starhawk is definitely a feminist, though not a man-hater, and she has some interesting things to say on the subject.

Other than that, maybe you could look into male deities you feel comfortable with. I was just reading recently that Dionysus can be considered a "Zeus for women", as Zeus himself is much more a man's deity, while Dionysus has many of the same titles and functions, yet his followers were mainly women. There are many androgynous and effeminate male deities out there if you don't feel comfortable with an alpha male kind of deity.

 
I agree with all of this. I might not agree with everything Starhawk has to say, but her chapter on the God was very helpful when I was getting over my "man-hating" Dianic witchcraft Goddess-only phase and learning to love male deities again. (If you haven't read it, be sure to read the endnotes, as she expands on the text quite a bit.)

I'd also nominate Dionysus for "Gods for women who are uncomfortable with gods" and add Freyr to the pile. He's "never made any girl or man's wife cry" after all, and his priests (though he seems to have had at least one priestess) wore bells, danced around, and made "effeminate gestures" which was shocking to a lot of people.

Darkhawk

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 4832
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 721
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
Re: Facing the God
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 04:45:03 pm »
Quote from: Nuri;46972
I have a fabulous relationship with the Goddess(es), but I trust women. How do I build a relationship with the God, when I've never been able to build a good relationship with a regular man?


Do you trust women, generically, without regard for their trustworthiness as individual people?  Or is it that you're willing to deal with women as people, with their merits and flaws, and thus are able to find the subset of women that are worthy of your trust?

Individual men are people, not Avatars of Maleness.  Gods are like that too.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

fireface

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Mar 2012
  • Posts: 27
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Facing the God
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 04:55:37 pm »
Another God to feel out might be Anubis. You may find his story worthy of sympathy.

HeartShadow

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2195
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Re: Facing the God
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 04:59:57 pm »
Quote from: fireface;46995
Another God to feel out might be Anubis. You may find his story worthy of sympathy.

 
A Reminder:
Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Maps

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Posts: 703
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Facing the God
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 11:00:53 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;46991
Do you trust women, generically, without regard for their trustworthiness as individual people?  Or is it that you're willing to deal with women as people, with their merits and flaws, and thus are able to find the subset of women that are worthy of your trust?

Individual men are people, not Avatars of Maleness.  Gods are like that too.

 
Agreed.

I wouldn't personally be able to connect to a masculine deity while I thought so poorly of masculinity everywhere else in my life. Also personally, I have a lot of issues with "hatred" coming from within the construct of binary gender as a non-binary myself... and as a firm believer that gods transcend gender entirely.

OP, where does this "need" come from, and why is it currently a need for you? You might take this opportunity to reflect on your baggage-- I don't think any deity from any pantheon would appreciate their worship being defined by something like hate and bitterness.

Etheric1

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 421
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Facing the God
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 11:09:19 pm »
Quote from: fireface;46995
Another God to feel out might be Anubis. You may find his story worthy of sympathy.

 
What story are you referring to?
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

fireface

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Mar 2012
  • Posts: 27
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Facing the God
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 11:52:31 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;47044
What story are you referring to?

The general idea that Anubis was abandoned (betrayed) by his mother and was then adopted and raised by Isis. A less strong figure might allow such things to run their life but as far as I can tell Anubis grew into a patient and dignified God who was quietly loyal to his "real" mother Isis. I personally see him as a quietly good example of masculine traits. And since he should be capable of evoking sympathy within someone that might help establish a comfortable connection with his masculine energy.

Etheric1

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 421
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Facing the God
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 12:33:39 am »
Quote from: fireface;47048
The general idea that Anubis was abandoned (betrayed) by his mother and was then adopted and raised by Isis. A less strong figure might allow such things to run their life but as far as I can tell Anubis grew into a patient and dignified God who was quietly loyal to his "real" mother Isis. I personally see him as a quietly good example of masculine traits. And since he should be capable of evoking sympathy within someone that might help establish a comfortable connection with his masculine energy.

 
Gotcha.  Never really thought about it quite that way.
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

Nachtigall

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Sep 2011
  • Posts: 287
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Facing the God
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 09:02:20 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;46991
Do you trust women, generically, without regard for their trustworthiness as individual people?  Or is it that you're willing to deal with women as people, with their merits and flaws, and thus are able to find the subset of women that are worthy of your trust?

Individual men are people, not Avatars of Maleness.  Gods are like that too.

 
I agree. Nuri, I think that in your case it would be much more helpful to work through your problem with male figures psychologically first, perhaps with the help of some therapy.

The attitude "the God is not like those evil, human males who shall not be trusted" isn't really helping in order to cultivate your relationship with Divine Masculine (I suppose, since you are speaking of "the" God, you subscribe to duoteistic view similar to Wicca).

spoOk

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 411
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Facing the God
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 02:19:04 pm »
Quote from: Nachtigall;47098
I agree. Nuri, I think that in your case it would be much more helpful to work through your problem with male figures psychologically first, perhaps with the help of some therapy.

The attitude "the God is not like those evil, human males who shall not be trusted" isn't really helping in order to cultivate your relationship with Divine Masculine (I suppose, since you are speaking of "the" God, you subscribe to duoteistic view similar to Wicca).

 
actually I took her phrasing to generally mean....I've decided to seek some male energy force to go along with my female energy force....if you will.
she did claim to already have found and had good relations with "goddess(es)"....this does not seem to me to state she only seeks one female and one male deity exclusively.
I think if you'd like to approach the male energy out there and haven't got one in particular in mind,it might be an idea to do a sort of meditation leave your self open ritual and see what kinda feelings,images Come to mind.

or seek a deity who you think you could have conversations with,sort of,to help you Come round to dealing with males in general.

I recently found myself drawn to and dealing with my first overtly male (day time and fiery related-as apposed to moon,night,earth,water related) spirit and had to wrap my brain around the idea of dealing with him during the daytime...lol. it helps he was a playful deity though and kind of laid back without being full of himself.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

dragonfaerie

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: Baltimore, MD
  • *
  • Posts: 431
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 3
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Re: Facing the God
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 11:23:25 am »
Quote from: Nuri;46972
I guess my question is, where do I start?


Therapy wouldn't be a bad idea. Talking with a trained professional should help you get to the root of your issues, so you know what you really need to work on here.

I also recommend picking up a copy of When I See the Wild God by Ly De Angeles. It's not all about male deities, but there are sections in there that talk about different male deities, and also some bits that are more like a story that you might find useful in trying to make a connection with male deities.

Karen

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
32 Replies
18792 Views
Last post December 06, 2012, 08:34:25 pm
by Dot
3 Replies
3041 Views
Last post July 21, 2011, 03:12:17 am
by Aster Breo
13 Replies
2893 Views
Last post August 27, 2011, 09:39:34 am
by SkySamuelle
5 Replies
1854 Views
Last post August 22, 2011, 05:05:54 pm
by addy
2 Replies
2302 Views
Last post March 17, 2014, 09:13:49 pm
by veggiewolf

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall