Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Dream interpretation--is this a recognizable Goddess?  (Read 1833 times)

Nautilus

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Dream interpretation--is this a recognizable Goddess?
« on: October 03, 2014, 02:40:28 pm »
First off, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this.  I'll try to move/delete it if it is.

A while back, I had a dream of meeting a goddess.  I don't know if it was just a normal dream or if it had any meaning, and if any of this description matches an actual deity, but if anyone sees something recognizable ....

She had tanned skin, dark eyes, long dark hair, an aquiline nose, and was dressed in purple.  Looked Mediterranean or Middle Eastern.  She was immortal, weak from no longer being worshiped but gave off a sense of divinity, grace and goodness.  She was married to a mortal human who would one day grow old and die.  There was a bit in the dream about enemies who wanted to destroy her, and also some association with birds (the birds may have been part of another dream).

Like I said, the dream made an impression on me and if anyone sees anything familiar, I'd appreciate any suggestions on who this is.

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
Re: Dream interpretation--is this a recognizable Goddess?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 02:57:55 pm »
Quote from: Nautilus;161099
First off, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this.  I'll try to move/delete it if it is.

A while back, I had a dream of meeting a goddess.  I don't know if it was just a normal dream or if it had any meaning, and if any of this description matches an actual deity, but if anyone sees something recognizable ....

She had tanned skin, dark eyes, long dark hair, an aquiline nose, and was dressed in purple.  Looked Mediterranean or Middle Eastern.  She was immortal, weak from no longer being worshiped but gave off a sense of divinity, grace and goodness.  She was married to a mortal human who would one day grow old and die.  There was a bit in the dream about enemies who wanted to destroy her, and also some association with birds (the birds may have been part of another dream).

Like I said, the dream made an impression on me and if anyone sees anything familiar, I'd appreciate any suggestions on who this is.

What kind of birds?

Failing that...

Good looking, Middle Eastern, birds, married to a mortal, it's all a touch vague. Purple is a royal color, due to the rarity of the dye in the ancient world, so could easily represent power...

I suppose there's Lilith.

Was married to Adam, Middle Eastern, supposed to be a seductress so good looking, associated with owls I believe, pursued by the angels Senoy, Sasenoy and Semangelof who murder one hundred of her children a day, which is enemy enough for anyone...

Or it could be any number of deities.

Meditate. Drink a tea with dream herbs before bed and record any further details.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:58:34 pm by Valeria Crowe »
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Nautilus

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 11:03:35 am »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;161101
What kind of birds?

Failing that...

Good looking, Middle Eastern, birds, married to a mortal, it's all a touch vague. Purple is a royal color, due to the rarity of the dye in the ancient world, so could easily represent power...

I suppose there's Lilith.

Was married to Adam, Middle Eastern, supposed to be a seductress so good looking, associated with owls I believe, pursued by the angels Senoy, Sasenoy and Semangelof who murder one hundred of her children a day, which is enemy enough for anyone...

Or it could be any number of deities.

Meditate. Drink a tea with dream herbs before bed and record any further details.

Thanks, I'll look into Lilith, but what I see so far ... really doesn't seem to fit.  Biggest problem is the husband--they were happily married, and he was completely devoted to her, which doesn't sound like Adam and Lilith.  (I saw him as a thin man with graying hair.)  

The thing is, I'm guessing on the locality, and the enemies and the birds were the most unclear and dubious bits of the dream.  Although I got more of an impression of songbirds and possibly tropicals than of owls, that bit could possible have leaked in from a dream about my parrot.

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 11:37:09 am »
Quote from: Nautilus;161164
Thanks, I'll look into Lilith, but what I see so far ... really doesn't seem to fit.  Biggest problem is the husband--they were happily married, and he was completely devoted to her, which doesn't sound like Adam and Lilith.  (I saw him as a thin man with graying hair.)  

The thing is, I'm guessing on the locality, and the enemies and the birds were the most unclear and dubious bits of the dream.  Although I got more of an impression of songbirds and possibly tropicals than of owls, that bit could possible have leaked in from a dream about my parrot.

In which case, you need more details.

Like I said, drink some herbal tea that promotes dreams before you go to sleep, meditate, and ask this goddess to reveal more details.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 11:38:51 am »

Not sure if you'd appreciate the first thing sprung to my mind, Gaia from the Captain Planet cartoon played by Indira Varma (which is not a thing that has happened.)

Hey, greying husband? Mother Nature and Father Time!

Or it could be Eos and Tithonus.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 11:39:32 am »

She could be a deity that has been long forgotten potentially or might be only found in folklore. From your description, she doesn't really feel like Lilith as another poster suggested. If you wish to look further into her, perhaps you should treat her as a deity as unnamed in lore/mythology and if she is named, then you might still come across her. That's how it worked with me and my patron.

As for deities married to mortals, there /is/ Thetis, who is the mother of Achilles by her mortal husband Peleus, but she's associated with the sea and I'm not entirely sure what enemies she would've had.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 10:32:59 am »

First thought I had (potentially because I've been reading Alternity) is Merope.  She's one of the Pleiades and married a mortal, Sisyphus.  Theoi.com has some information on her, including an association with birds - Merope.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Nautilus

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 03:36:26 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;161168
Not sure if you'd appreciate the first thing sprung to my mind, Gaia from the Captain Planet cartoon played by Indira Varma (which is not a thing that has happened.)

Hey, greying husband? Mother Nature and Father Time!

Or it could be Eos and Tithonus.

Well, I looked up some clips on YouTube, and funnily enough ... yeah, there is some resemblence.  I'm not sure if I should be amused or disturbed.  :)

Quote from: Tom;161169
She could be a deity that has been long forgotten potentially or might be only found in folklore. From your description, she doesn't really feel like Lilith as another poster suggested. If you wish to look further into her, perhaps you should treat her as a deity as unnamed in lore/mythology and if she is named, then you might still come across her. That's how it worked with me and my patron.

As for deities married to mortals, there /is/ Thetis, who is the mother of Achilles by her mortal husband Peleus, but she's associated with the sea and I'm not entirely sure what enemies she would've had.

Thanks, I've started reading a bit about Thetis, and I can't see anything to rule her out--unfortunately, as other posters have noted, I don't have enough info to make a positive ID.  (Although it's good to hear I'm not the only person who has had such an experience.)  It was a one-time thing, and I don't know if it will ever repeat--it came at a time when I was struggling between wanting to give up my Catholicism and the ingrained "all other religions are tricks of the devil" dogma.  And I think the sense of goodness from the dream was what I really needed at the time.  I'd like to learn more, but so far that's all I've gotten.

Quote from: veggiewolf;161365
First thought I had (potentially because I've been reading Alternity) is Merope.  She's one of the Pleiades and married a mortal, Sisyphus.  Theoi.com has some information on her, including an association with birds - Merope.

Thanks. I've read the article, and it doesn't quite match--I don't remember a sense of shame, and definitely not of the husband.

Nautilus

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 05:35:05 pm »

Actually, I've been thinking it over--maybe there was some sense of embarassment, hiding her face at some point?  My first thought was that there wasn't, but then there seemed to be a nagging sense of familiarity, so I just can't be sure.  Sorry.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 06:18:00 pm »

It took way too long for me to realize that I recognized that name from Harry Potter, not being educated about her.

Tags: