collapse

Author Topic: Does anyone work with Oceanus?  (Read 716 times)

Night Owl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Does anyone work with Oceanus?
« on: July 13, 2013, 01:31:33 pm »
I have recently been prodded by Oceanus. I'm really sure it is him, but now I've got no idea what to do because the ancients didn't seem to have typical offerings to him, and he doesn't have any sacred objects, plants, or animals. He is a god of freshwater, so going down to a river to pray might work, and if I can find a small watertight container I will get some river water for my altar, but other than that I really don't know. I've done some googling and no-one has any UPGs, just facts. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to do a lot of UPG-ing, but if anyone works with him and has any suggestions it would really be useful to me right now.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Does anyone work with Oceanus?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 01:44:13 pm »
Quote from: Night Owl;115501
I have recently been prodded by Oceanus. I'm really sure it is him, but now I've got no idea what to do because the ancients didn't seem to have typical offerings to him, and he doesn't have any sacred objects, plants, or animals. He is a god of freshwater, so going down to a river to pray might work, and if I can find a small watertight container I will get some river water for my altar, but other than that I really don't know. I've done some googling and no-one has any UPGs, just facts. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to do a lot of UPG-ing, but if anyone works with him and has any suggestions it would really be useful to me right now.

I think going down to the river is an excellent idea to start out with. Bring some nature-safe offerings -- in my experience things like wine, olive oil, bread, fruit, or pure water would never go amiss.

I seem to recall an alternative Hellenic blog or site dedicated to working with the Titans, but for the life of me I can't find it now. (Maybe I'm mixing it up in my head with alt Heathen sites that work with the Jotuns, but I'd be incredibly surprised if there weren't any resources at all for Titan worship.)

Something that helps me when meeting new deities is to make a family tree with them in the center. Even if you're really familiar with a certain pantheon, putting a particular deity in the middle and showing the relationships that radiate from them is a good way of reframing myth and lore to center around your chosen god/dess.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Night Owl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 02:01:52 pm »
Quote from: Sage;115502
I think going down to the river is an excellent idea to start out with. Bring some nature-safe offerings -- in my experience things like wine, olive oil, bread, fruit, or pure water would never go amiss.

I seem to recall an alternative Hellenic blog or site dedicated to working with the Titans, but for the life of me I can't find it now. (Maybe I'm mixing it up in my head with alt Heathen sites that work with the Jotuns, but I'd be incredibly surprised if there weren't any resources at all for Titan worship.)

Something that helps me when meeting new deities is to make a family tree with them in the center. Even if you're really familiar with a certain pantheon, putting a particular deity in the middle and showing the relationships that radiate from them is a good way of reframing myth and lore to center around your chosen god/dess.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the family tree thing. It's good that Oceanus did not fight against the Olympians in myth, so when I have Olympians in ritual it will not be a problem. I will try making offerings later today- probably some fruit.

Fionnbharr

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 02:57:30 pm »
Quote from: Night Owl;115504
It's good that Oceanus did not fight against the Olympians in myth, so when I have Olympians in ritual it will not be a problem. I will try making offerings later today- probably some fruit.

I would not worry about that, even if the myth had said he had fought the Olympians it is so far back in the past that it is water under the bridge. As far as I understand the primeval gods, Titans and Olympians work very well together these days (not saying they never have disagreements :P)

Listen to your intuition and let Okeanos guide you to how he wish you to honor him. Basically I tend to say simply just be respectful and never offer anything you do not like yourself. And I also agree that the thing about the river is a good way to start :D
Grief and sorrow grows on the far banks of the river Styx, go there and visit them and you might not find your own way back home. - Achilles

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 03:01:25 pm »
Quote from: Fionnbharr;115507
I would not worry about that, even if the myth had said he had fought the Olympians it is so far back in the past that it is water under the bridge. As far as I understand the primeval gods, Titans and Olympians work very well together these days (not saying they never have disagreements :P)

I second this advice! Gods' relationships may manifest differently from practitioner to practitioner. For example, I've never had any trouble honoring Hades, Persephone, and Demeter on the same altar. I usually have Persephone separating the two, but I've very rarely invoked one without invoking all three of them. Some people on the other hand have had very negative experiences having Hades and Demeter even in the same room together, much less the same altar.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Night Owl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 03:55:27 pm »
Quote from: Fionnbharr;115507

Listen to your intuition and let Okeanos guide you to how he wish you to honor him. Basically I tend to say simply just be respectful and never offer anything you do not like yourself. And I also agree that the thing about the river is a good way to start :D

That's good to know. Thanks!

Fionnbharr

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 09:35:03 am »
Quote from: Sage;115508
I second this advice! Gods' relationships may manifest differently from practitioner to practitioner. For example, I've never had any trouble honoring Hades, Persephone, and Demeter on the same altar. I usually have Persephone separating the two, but I've very rarely invoked one without invoking all three of them. Some people on the other hand have had very negative experiences having Hades and Demeter even in the same room together, much less the same altar.

Off topic: Have you ever tried to summon just Demeter and Haides to see if that makes a different kind of tension? to see if it is Persephone that keeps the calm (which would not surprise me). I love Demeter to the end of the world (and beyond), I think she is absolutely awesome!
Grief and sorrow grows on the far banks of the river Styx, go there and visit them and you might not find your own way back home. - Achilles

Tags: