Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Do your patron gods test you?  (Read 7923 times)

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Do your patron gods test you?
« on: August 29, 2011, 09:51:23 am »
Reading this article today: http://www.squidoo.com/find-a-patron-god-or-goddess

I've grown curious of this passage in particular

Some Gods may decide to "test" you. This isn't to prove your worthiness, far from it. That is a concept conceived in the idea that people are inherently unworthy and must prove themselves otherwise.

These tests are more to make sure that you are capable of handling the energies that particular God may bring into your life by combining His energies with yours.
In my own life, I found myself being tested a lot when Lilith decided she was going to be part of my life. To the point that I finally told her to back off and leave me alone for a while as it was getting way too much for me.

It made me curious because it's not an aspect of patron-devotees relationships I've experienced so far and it's also one i have not seen discussed anywhere else, even if it makes sense as a rational argument as i've noticed that working with a certain deity for a certain time does change your energies.

So my question is:

do you think it's possible to be tested in some fashion? It has happened to you? If it has, how does it work?  If it has not, how do you think it might work?
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Re: Do your patron gods test you?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 10:57:26 am »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;16312

So my question is:

do you think it's possible to be tested in some fashion?

Yes.

It has happened to you?

Yes.

If it has, how does it work?

Neb.y Set is the Initiator, the Pusher of Boundaries, the One Who Makes You Decide.  I cannot imagine worship of Him not including testing to the point of frustration and sheer exhaustion...but the exhilaration and Lessons Learned are so worth it.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 11:02:22 am »

do you think it's possible to be tested in some fashion? It has happened to you? If it has, how does it work?  If it has not, how do you think it might work?

Yes to all of the above. The gods have pushed me, tested me- and made my stronger for it. Set in particular has pushed me to the limits, and then told me to get up, and keep going. I believe that the gods know your breaking point, but I also think that most gods know when you're just whining, and that you're really not at the end of your rope. I've witnessed this with Set many times- where I thought I was at the end, and couldn't take much more- only to find that I had extra reserves of 'tolerance' for the situation. And then there have been times when I have *truly* reached my limit- and suddenly things would get better.

Set hasn't been my only tester, however. Many of the gods have brought situations into my life to help me grow. I imagine there is some big picture reason for the testing, though I can't tell you exactly what that reason is. Even though it frustrates me from time to time, I appreciate it, because I know I'm becoming stronger for it.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 01:58:23 pm »
Quote from: Devo;16316
Yes to all of the above. The gods have pushed me, tested me- and made my stronger for it. Set in particular has pushed me to the limits, and then told me to get up, and keep going. I believe that the gods know your breaking point, but I also think that most gods know when you're just whining, and that you're really not at the end of your rope. I've witnessed this with Set many times- where I thought I was at the end, and couldn't take much more- only to find that I had extra reserves of 'tolerance' for the situation. And then there have been times when I have *truly* reached my limit- and suddenly things would get better.

Set hasn't been my only tester, however. Many of the gods have brought situations into my life to help me grow. I imagine there is some big picture reason for the testing, though I can't tell you exactly what that reason is. Even though it frustrates me from time to time, I appreciate it, because I know I'm becoming stronger for it.

-Devo

This brings on the interesting question of how we define a 'test'.

I can say that during these years I've worked with Hekate, I had to burn out a LOT of emotional baggage and confront more than few hard truths. As She is 'the One Who Works From Afar' is hard to say whether it was Her doing or if i became more self-aware after getting more in tune with Her energies, or if simply my life was headed that way.

Up to a point, it was also shown to me why it was important for me to learn those lessons - and I was grateful for that, because it gave me a sense of completion I had not before.

I don't know if i would call it a test, but I can remember Her asking me to focus on one task solely -and incidentally around that time everything else in my life seemed to stall in order for me to have the necessary time- and even that has required a lot of adjustements, frustrations, and identity questioning and releasing fears and insecurities.

I would have probably  backed out if She had not been pushing me toward doing something I loved. I won't lie, it still feels like someone is leading you in a wild chase where you don't know what you are chasing until you find it.

But I'm digressing. :ashamed:  

After said testing, would you say your god energies were more 'present' in you?
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Icon by jewelotus

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 02:47:23 pm »
Quote from: Devo;16316

-Devo

This has been very true for me as well.   I agree that I believe the gods know our limits and know when to push them for growth.  This I believe is one of Set's things he does very well.  Anpu has helped me with other tests, but is a bit more encouraging in his method, for example I'd feel a burst of confidence in dealing with something unpleasant, whereas Set is more of a "yes, you can do this and it's important for you to give it all you have, and you have to be willing to do your part."  

He is great for helping unleash inner strength and more aggressive-typed energy.  For me it's almost like it's a "giving permission to deal with my aggro side."  I've learned it is important to act that way in a constructive way.  In order words, don't be wasteful or careless with volatile energy.  I wouldn't go so far as to say it's pleasant, but definitely rewarding.  That's just my UPG on the matter.

Also, I think it's important to realize sometimes life just tests you and the gods have nothing to do with it.  As humans we are always trying to put meaning to why something happens, and something crappy can happen that has nothing to do with us.  The world does not always revolve around us and it's a mistake to think it does.  So as far as whether or not a god is "testing" us is almost irrelevant, what we should try to do is learn from everything so we can grow.  So are the gods more present afterwards?  I'd say no, unless we choose to put them there.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 02:48:07 pm by Etheric1 »
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 02:53:28 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;16345

I would say this is a definite yes. I think the energies/likenesses were there before. But they effing scream Set now. Sometimes, that is to my own detriment. But I believe they are there, and that I can/do emulate a lot of what he stands for in my actions now.

Ironically, recently I've become tired of only being seen as a Set worshipper, and the negative connotations that can come from that. So instead, I've been pulled to the opposite end of the spectrum- his brother, Osiris. It'll be interesting to see where his 'tests' lead me, and how my approach to life and others will change.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 02:56:03 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;16349

He is great for helping unleash inner strength and more aggressive-typed energy.  For me it's almost like it's a "giving permission to deal with my aggro side."  I've learned it is important to act that way in a constructive way.  In order words, don't be wasteful or careless with volatile energy.  I wouldn't go so far as to say it's pleasant, but definitely rewarding.  That's just my UPG on the matter.

I would second this. One of the first things Set addressed with me was my anger and my negative attributes. I knew they were there- but he showed me how to be 'okay' with those attributes. He did this by showing me his own negative side. It was a learning experience to be sure.

Also, I think it's important to realize sometimes life just tests you and the gods have nothing to do with it.  As humans we are always trying to put meaning to why something happens, and something crappy can happen that has nothing to do with us.  The world does not always revolve around us and it's a mistake to think it does.  So as far as whether or not a god is "testing" us is almost irrelevant, what we should try to do is learn from everything so we can grow.  So are the gods more present afterwards?  I'd say no, unless we choose to put them there.

I would also agree with this that sometimes bad things just happen, and tests occur regardless of the gods. And that at the end of the day- regardless of who is behind it (if anyone) it's important to learn from everything we do.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 03:02:16 pm »
Quote from: Devo;16353
I would second this. One of the first things Set addressed with me was my anger and my negative attributes. I knew they were there- but he showed me how to be 'okay' with those attributes. He did this by showing me his own negative side. It was a learning experience to be sure.

-Devo

This was pretty much how Set introduced himself to me.  It was an accepting of all the stuff I thought was negative and should not have, even though part of me already knew it.  The way I see it is we can certainly use anger (for example) as a very powerful emotion that can make us do things that can serve a better purpose.  To use an analogy: you can have a knife that is razor sharp, but if you use it all the time it will go dull and eventually be useless, and while we're at it, don't be using said knife to do dumb things, use it when it's the right tool for the job, anger works in a similar way

Sometimes love ain't the answer - sorry hippies.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 03:02:50 pm by Etheric1 »
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 03:05:22 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;16349

Also, I think it's important to realize sometimes life just tests you and the gods have nothing to do with it.  As humans we are always trying to put meaning to why something happens, and something crappy can happen that has nothing to do with us.  The world does not always revolve around us and it's a mistake to think it does.  So as far as whether or not a god is "testing" us is almost irrelevant, what we should try to do is learn from everything so we can grow.  

I agreed with this, and it's why I addressed the issue of how we define a test from deity.

Doubtlessly life is hard on its own, and if you share part of it with a  god or a goddess, it would be quite normal that They would have their opinion on how you should or should face certain problems and what you should or should not learn from them.
Icon by jewelotus

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 03:20:19 pm »

It made me curious because it's not an aspect of patron-devotees relationships I've experienced so far and it's also one i have not seen discussed anywhere else, even if it makes sense as a rational argument as i've noticed that working with a certain deity for a certain time does change your energies.

So my question is:

I definitely think there are systems that require/include tests and patronage but heathenry isnt really one of them. You might get manipulated for the better good or some reason unknown between the gods, but that's about it.

On the other hand, our ancestors and dsir take an interest in our lives like that. My grandfather is much more interested in my personal growth than Odin is, for sure. Which works out nicely, I think. He used to discipline me and teach me about life when living, why would he stop in the after life?
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 05:30:52 pm »
.. do you think it's possible to be tested in some fashion? It has happened to you? If it has, how does it work?  If it has not, how do you think it might work?

I think it is true and have experienced it in a number of formats.  Formats that do not just include a god / goddess persona as the testing initiator.

Spirit wise I am of the Wolf Clan.  In dream time I have been tested to the point of death and dismemberment where the pack has literly subjected me to a shamanic type death.  Test's that seek to determine your place in the pack, test's that seek to see what you shall endure for the pack even test's to see if you put the good of the pack ahead of your individual needs and drive.

Totem wise Herron is one of my totems.  Yes Herron will test the daylights out of you as it seek's to instill its knowledge and medicine in your life.  Somethings as simple as beating you about the head like a child who does not listen when it wants your full attention.  Other times placing you in a situation then physically watching what you do to get out of it before screaming its call then flying off.  Yet especially testing when dealing with its contrary or shadow medicine and those influences within or upon ones life.

Goddess wise they have been more physical and mental in testing than the gods have.  Artemis will ride you and leed you into the forest and see how you do and how you respond to things.  Even calling animals into the picture that normally you'd never encounter but are suddenly there and you feel her attention come fully upon you.  It's like you feel her bear form (think of arketia) and your standing in the middle of an open field when all of a sudden a bear rises from some spot and you never saw them till then.  She'll take deer form and you suddenly come around a hidden bend or something and your face to face with a Doe or Stag.

Other times the testing will take form that is more painful.  For instance I was in Corfu (Korfu) Greece and started to buy a statue that was supposed to be Artemis.  I held it in my hands and heard her voice in my head stating "That is that Roman Diana not me!" so I didn't get it.  Some weeks later we were in Rhodes and once again I came across the same statue and felt pulled to it.  I picked it up again and again she was there "I told you that was that Roman Diana not me!".  For added reference if I encountered that statue in other stores or even looked at it I would get hard bumped by some stranger, suddenly be able to hear some argument where one was hollaring at the other about not listening to them.  I spent two weeks in Rhodes and you can bet I didn;t pay any more attention or notice to that particular statue again.

Other times its seems to take a different form.  For instance with Hekate / Hecate I'll get the sense I need to follow her somewhere.  So I start off in what ever direction then things will happen that make you ask yourself what the heck is going on.  It's like one day I knew I had to follow her spirit into the deeper woods and simply started walking.  If I actively listened I'd hear the bay of hounds to one side or the other and know which direction to go.  Other times i'd hear that bay and turn to go straight that way and walk up on a snake and it clearly blocked my pathway.  You know you have to go ahead but the snake clearly makes that option unavailable so you have to figure out which way to go.  ON this particular day the only way I could go forward was to get on my knee's and crawl through a series of tight sticker and thorn bushes.  Let me tell you it was very painful but what was on the other side made up for it, sorry that part is not for me to tell.

Yet Hekate / Hecate is just as forceful when it comes to insisting you be truthfull and honest in her name.  It's like the Hekate's Wheel emblem I at one time went to get one as a sign of devotion and commitment to her and she basically told me she'd rip that arm off if I do.  Said she hates it and despises those who got it and use it but never question why its never to be found at any of her sacred sites.  So in that light its one of those things where speak in her honor and her truth is the absolute task she places upon us and will test us to see if we are going to do so.  In that light Artemis, Bastet, Pahket are the same as Hekate / Hecate in they demand you discover them and seek them out to know all about them not just what is popular at the moment.  

Granted there is much more to it than just what i've mentioned.  As I stated the Goddesses are more present about it today than the gods I follow but they still do thier testing and teaching as well.

Vella Malachite

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 02:37:22 am »

*snip*

So my question is:

Reading the passage, I don't really agree with it.  I'm not a huge believer in the gods 'combining their energies' with mine - that view doesn't really resonate with me so much.  Certainly, I can feel their energy, but I wouldn't say they combined it with mine.

That said, I do believe that I am tested and have been, and I don't agree with the passage when it says that testing is not to prove worthiness.  Testing is to learn lessons, and one of the lessons that's been kicked into me the hardest is the lesson that, yes, I am worthy.  Sometimes the gods will make things hard to show you how to deal with hardship, and that's a kind of proof of worth in itself.  Of course, there are other lessons to learn through tests, and in those cases, it wouldn't be about worth, but there are certainly cases where worth is the point of the lesson.
The human brain is an amazing thing: it works twenty-four hours a day, every day from before we are born - except when we take exams.
If everything\'s under control, you\'re going too slowly.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 09:01:15 am »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;16345

I'd say after testing I feel stronger and more certain of my course, and my relationship with Neb.y Set strengthens but I wouldn't say I'd describe it as His energies being more present in me.  

I don't expect that I am tested to determine my capability to handle Neb.y's energies combined with mine; He tests because He *is* the Initiator.  Were I not fit for Him, He'd not have smacked me in the first place.

*shrug* Just my $0.02.  YMMV.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Garm

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 11:23:26 pm »

The only one I think was testing me was Hela

Though maybe she was just trying to get my attention, the nightmares stopped when I finally figured out who she was and decided I was OK with getting to know her better.  I might of prefered something sunny and light but a deity is still a deity and I thought myself fortunate to have gotten anybodies notice.  She never appeared in the classical half and half, she looked more like a superimposed photographed or shifted back and forth.

One of my favourite all time horror flics was ghost story because it reminded me so much of the unpleasantness she was putting me through when she was entering my dreams

These  excerpts will give the general idea

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:24:18 pm by Garm »
"I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone.  But they have always worked for me"
---Hunter S Thompson

Nomad of Nowhere

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 04:06:43 am »

So my question is:

I undertook many tests for myself. I intend to perfect my ability to start friction fire, speak in a Slavic tongue, and brew alcohol for the purposes of ritual. Rituals are about honoring the Gods, but I also feel it's where my dedication to create a satisfactory form of worship is tested. I have had UPG experiences, but not for awhile. I feel like I'm working toward some breakthrough sometimes, and that it will come when I perform "the perfect ritual" for Perun, or at least close enough.

Tags: