Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Divine Punishment in the afterlife?  (Read 4458 times)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Divine Punishment in the afterlife?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 05:34:51 am »
Quote from: Shaykh Sha'ir Abdullah;139867
Oh you know very little. Must I seriously start pulling out the Sumerian stories of old along with the Kemitic?

A Reminder:
This is very close to a personal attack, which would violate our rules. In light of the subsequent posts, it's clear that it's a side effect of your confusion about the usage of 'Heathen', so I'm not giving you a formal warning, just a reminder: please be more careful with how you express such things in the future.

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sulischild

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sulischild.blogspot.com.au/
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 06:34:22 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;139910
Personally I believe that when you're dead, you're dead.

My own beliefs waver around, but the older I get the more they tend to waver in this direction.  I really like the idea HeartShadow (I think) said a few pages ago, that it's what we do here, now, that matters, not storing up rep points for another place.

I kind of like the idea of reincarnation.  I like the idea of getting a post mortem pat on the head for any good I've managed to achieve.  I like the idea of awful people who do horrible things getting a damn good smiting.  I like the idea of kicking back and chilling with the various dogs I knew in life.  But there's a difference between liking a thing, and it being true.

I'm vaguely Celtic, in some of the stuff I do and deities and symbolism I work with, but I'm not a reconstructionist and don't follow any precise creed.  (I'm a mutt of cultures that would never have been combined in a single person until the modern age, and I think my spirituality reflects my ancestry.)  As Naomi said, 'Celtic' is vast and covers a lot of different and sometimes contradictory stuff.  I think it'd be hubris to assume that, out of all those options, one of them's correct and I can pick it.

Ghostlight

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 08:01:19 am »
Quote from: Shaykh Sha'ir Abdullah;139850
I never said I deny divine reward, it is not my topic though as I have met no person who is a theist and denies divine reward

I never said you did. In fact that was my point, that you didn’t mention it, which I find strange since as I understand it divine retribution and reward belong together. I’m surprised that you know theists who apparently believe in divine reward but not retribution, because I only know people that belief in either both or neither.

Quote from: Shaykh Sha'ir Abdullah;139874
I view paganism as being more open because you can establish the standards with a deity however you wish to while in almost every other religions (Hinduism is excluded) you cannot. What the book says is what the deity permits.

I’m not sure that Hindus can deal with deities any way they want. They seem to have pretty elaborate rituals and customs, though I don’t know enough about Hinduism to really discuss this. I also don’t think that almost every religion (on a global scale and throughout time) has/had a book that tells them what deities want.

As for Neo-Pagan theists, what they usually try to do is contact the gods and ask them what they want and then do that. That isn’t really the same as dealing with deities “however you wish” and may even be a more honest and respectful way of contacting the gods than blindly copying from a book. And while they may believe that the god(s) will react negatively if they get it wrong, this “divine retribution” is not necessarily part of the afterlife but something that happens immediately (i.e. in your lifetime) as a direct response to the misconduct.

Quote from: Shaykh Sha'ir Abdullah;139881
We have plenty of records they are just not extensive and complete. The tablets found in Ugarit are one such example. It is not a matter of keeping anything pure by following something it is a matter of purity by acknowledging its existence.

The tablets of Ugarit are only relevant to people that want to revive that specific religion. They have no bearing on anything else. This is something I find confusing about your posts. If you use “heathen” in the colloquial sense then that would be everything that’s not part of Abrahamic religions, which includes a whole ton of religions, ancient and new, on all five continents. Yet you only seem to take your cues for what “heathen” beliefs were/are from Middle Eastern sources. I know you said that that’s what you’re most interested in and therefore know most about. That’s perfectly fine. What bothers me is that you seem to think that these very specific sources from a comparatively small geographic area are somehow exemplary for all beliefs in the world.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 09:57:41 am »
Quote from: Shaykh Sha'ir Abdullah;139874

Also when I say divine retribution I am actually using it in an Islamic sense, I am sorry but this cannot be helped. Spent WAY too much time as a Muslim it will take an exorcism to get me to stop behaving like one regardless of my religious identity.
Divine retribution is more a contract type thing in Islam that references towards the idea of ibadah. When one becomes a worshiper of a deity they abide by that deities standards. If you lived in a communist country you abide by communist norms and if you lived in a democratic society you abide by those norms. I have always held the view that you just do not get up and accept a god and just do as you wish. Each and every god throughout history has his/her's own standards rules and methods of worship and ethics etc.

You establish the relationship you want with that deity like a contract and keep it. It is a form of honesty essentially. What if I find benefit in praying to a god for something and I become lazy and stop doing my part of the job?

Bolding mine.

In Germanic paganism (heathenry), the normal relationship between god and man is one of individual bargaining, not life-long contracts.

So, if I wanted smooth sailing then maybe I'd bargain for it with a cow's life. If the god accepted this bargain (by calming the seas) then I'd throw the cow overboard and we'd be square (the god and I, not the cow and I).  If I didn't throw the cow overboard, then the god would take it's life anyway, either through sudden sickness or some other bad luck. And then we'd be square.

Once your dead you lose your bargaining chips and you're out of the game. The gods in heathenry are about life, whereas the afterlife is about the dead, and it's your personal dead I assume you have to worry about as far as retribution goes, and why ancestor veneration is so important.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Tags: