"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Different Aspects of Hekate  (Read 1839 times)

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Different Aspects of Hekate
« on: August 15, 2012, 09:58:48 pm »
I noticed there was another new thread about her now, but instead of hijacking that one, I thought I'd start another one.

Lately I've been feeling a pull towards her. I decided to honour her as I often do during the moon-dark period, but for some reason this time something just clicked and I feel more drawn to her than I have in years.

What I'm wondering specifically is if there are any good available sources about her that describe her as more than the usual underworld deity of ghosts and witchcraft. I've read that she was originally a Thracian deity, and that her "darker" reputation was a very late addition. She not only was a universal deity of earth, sea, and sky, but also presided over wedding ceremonies, childbirth, and the natural world. This is the side of her I'm interested in more than the scary stuff.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
Re: Different Aspects of Hekate
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:22:09 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;69318

What I'm wondering specifically is if there are any good available sources about her that describe her as more than the usual underworld deity of ghosts and witchcraft. I've read that she was originally a Thracian deity, and that her "darker" reputation was a very late addition. She not only was a universal deity of earth, sea, and sky, but also presided over wedding ceremonies, childbirth, and the natural world. This is the side of her I'm interested in more than the scary stuff.

You may want to take a look at the Theogony.  She has a part of it dedicated to Her.  I think they are lines 411-455.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 02:38:55 am »
Quote from: SatAset;69319
You may want to take a look at the Theogony.  She has a part of it dedicated to Her.  I think they are lines 411-455.

do a search on here of related threads and posts and you'll probably unearth the previous lists of suggested reading material....my Hecate is the earlier incarnations tooo,where she was young maiden with bronze sandles and shining and saffron clad.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 08:23:01 pm »

Here is a thread with some sources linked from when I've asked a similar question in the past.

darkwhispersdale

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 05:56:07 pm »

What I'm wondering specifically is if there are any good available sources about her that describe her as more than the usual underworld deity of ghosts and witchcraft.

There's a book by Robert Von Rudloff called Hekate in Ancient Greek Religion. It covers Hekate in the Theogony and the Hymn to Demeter, Her main sites of worship, relationships with other deities and Her roles in ancient Greek religion.
“The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living differ from the dead.” ― Aristotle
“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” ― Confucius

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 06:02:27 pm »
Quote from: darkwhispersdale;69560
There's a book by Robert Von Rudloff called Hekate in Ancient Greek Religion. It covers Hekate in the Theogony and the Hymn to Demeter, Her main sites of worship, relationships with other deities and Her roles in ancient Greek religion.

That's supposed to be a good book.  Haven't got a hold of a copy yet as a new one goes typically in the $200 - $300 range and used any where from 50 - 190 on Amazon, a littel bit cheaper on Albris.

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 11:06:17 am »

You might know this already, but I've always found the theoi-project a good site to start:

http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/Hekate.html

Tags: