Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Demeter - Earth Goddess  (Read 1151 times)

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Demeter - Earth Goddess
« on: April 27, 2013, 08:05:58 pm »
I'm having a strong pull towards Demeter at the moment, and I'm conflicted about it because I don't really have an affinity for the concept of an earth goddess. I have always been drawn to goddesses of the sea, and especially the sky, as goddesses of the heavens seem more universal to me than goddesses of the Earth, who are very localized to this planet and not the cosmos as a whole.

Herodotus identified Demeter with Isis, probably because both are connected to the cycles of fertility, as well as death and the afterlife. Isis was also the Lady of Heaven, and a big part of why I find her so appealing is because she is like Hera, Aphrodite, and Demeter in one. I see Demeter (and also Aphrodite and Hera) as a universal deity, traditionally associated with the Earth, but mainly fertility in general, and the cycles of life and death. I think of them all as different versions of the same divine principle, Hera in heaven, Demeter on Earth and underworld via Persephone, and Aphrodite in the sea, while Isis rules all three realms (as can Aphrodite, according to some sources). I like to think that Demeter is not limited to the Earth.

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Demeter - Earth Goddess
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 08:40:07 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;106924
I'm having a strong pull towards Demeter at the moment, and I'm conflicted about it because I don't really have an affinity for the concept of an earth goddess. I have always been drawn to goddesses of the sea, and especially the sky, as goddesses of the heavens seem more universal to me than goddesses of the Earth, who are very localized to this planet and not the cosmos as a whole.

I can understand how you draw the distinctions between Earth and Sky when thinking about Demeter.  But, have you ever thought about the Earth in a different context than just terra firma?  For example, the Earth as biosphere could include the atmosphere, stratosphere, etc.  I've always thought of Gaia as a biosphere goddess and Demeter more as the Earth in the context that you're thinking, but it's really not too far of a stretch.

Herodotus identified Demeter with Isis, probably because both are connected to the cycles of fertility, as well as death and the afterlife. Isis was also the Lady of Heaven, and a big part of why I find her so appealing is because she is like Hera, Aphrodite, and Demeter in one. I see Demeter (and also Aphrodite and Hera) as a universal deity, traditionally associated with the Earth, but mainly fertility in general, and the cycles of life and death. I think of them all as different versions of the same divine principle, Hera in heaven, Demeter on Earth and underworld via Persephone, and Aphrodite in the sea, while Isis rules all three realms (as can Aphrodite, according to some sources). I like to think that Demeter is not limited to the Earth.

You can also try to connect to Demeter through Her connections with Motherhood as well.  IMO it's a universal enough concept in that all life comes from another life.

I'm experiencing some outside of my norm god-pondering as well so I was just trying to think of some ways that it might be easier for you to connect.  I hope it helps a little.

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 07:05:16 pm »
Quote from: Breeze;106926
I can understand how you draw the distinctions between Earth and Sky when thinking about Demeter.  But, have you ever thought about the Earth in a different context than just terra firma?  For example, the Earth as biosphere could include the atmosphere, stratosphere, etc.  I've always thought of Gaia as a biosphere goddess and Demeter more as the Earth in the context that you're thinking, but it's really not too far of a stretch.

Interesting, thanks for that perspective. I'm starting to think of Demeter as not just a goddess of the Earth, but as the gate between all matter and spirit. Through her all things are given form, and into her all things pass when they die and surrender their physical forms. In this way, she is not just a goddess of the fertility of the planet Earth, but of all matter and the life that arises from it.

Quote from: Breeze;106926
You can also try to connect to Demeter through Her connections with Motherhood as well.  IMO it's a universal enough concept in that all life comes from another life.

I'm experiencing some outside of my norm god-pondering as well so I was just trying to think of some ways that it might be easier for you to connect.  I hope it helps a little.

Thanks, I appreciate your insight.

I struggle with how specialized the Greek gods are, as none of them really have universal influence. Since I started honouring Isis, I see the gods, especially the three goddesses I mentioned, more as Isis in different guises rather than separate entities, yet I still get something out of worshiping them in their traditional forms. I'm so infatuated with Demeter now, though when I envision her she still looks and feels a lot like Isis, which I experience with Aphrodite and Hera as well. It's confusing.

Fionnbharr

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 10:47:45 am »
I like to think that Demeter is not limited to the Earth.

When I read this I wished to reply, Demeter is not limited at all.

Quote from: Carnelian;106999
I'm starting to think of Demeter as not just a goddess of the Earth, but as the gate between all matter and spirit. Through her all things are given form, and into her all things pass when they die and surrender their physical forms. In this way, she is not just a goddess of the fertility of the planet Earth, but of all matter and the life that arises from it.

This I think is a great way to describe her :D as I said in another thread, I love Demeter to the end of the world (and beyond).

Since I started honouring Isis, I see the gods, especially the three goddesses I mentioned, more as Isis in different guises rather than separate entities, yet I still get something out of worshiping them in their traditional forms. I'm so infatuated with Demeter now, though when I envision her she still looks and feels a lot like Isis, which I experience with Aphrodite and Hera as well. It's confusing.

Ever thought you are projecting parts of Isis over on the other goddesses to make more sense of them in context of your own belief? That if you take Isis out of the equation you might see a completely different image.

I struggle with how specialized the Greek gods are, as none of them really have universal influence.

As a universal God at least Greek Mythology has Hermes who roams from the highest reaches of Olympus to the deepest realms of the underworld - at least according to myth. But I am quite sure when I say that most if not all Deities are more than the myth told about them, the same way I guess you are more than the stories told of other people than yourself. Just a thought...
Grief and sorrow grows on the far banks of the river Styx, go there and visit them and you might not find your own way back home. - Achilles

Tags: