collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Deity fangirl/boys...seriously, is it just me?  (Read 2743 times)

Edeline

• View Profile
Deity fangirl/boys...seriously, is it just me?
« on: August 30, 2013, 05:48:53 pm »
Random thread, and something a little fluffier than most, but I am genuinely curious…

So is there anybody else out there that has a completely inappropriately fan girl/boy reaction to certain deities, or am I alone and adrift on a sea of weirdness?  

Confession: I am a complete Manannan Mac Lir fan.  He’s just…awesome.  I get all gushy and fangirly whenever I read about him.  (Pathetic, no?)  I honestly don’t know what it is about him, I’ve never met him, never performed a ceremony to him, and yet I turn into a giggly thirteen year old whenever the topic comes up anywhere.  And lets face it, it’s kind of embarrassing.  It just seems like a hugely inappropriate - and completely disrespectful - way to think of a deity that I respect and revere, even if I don’t work with him directly.   I would never try and pray to him or establish contact with him, because frankly, I can’t imagine anything more mortifying than him tipping up and being all ‘oh so you’re the creepy little weirdo that fantasises about me all the time huh?  Riiiight, yeah, I’m just gonna go now…’

So seriously, am I alone in this?  Does anybody else have a bit of a fan girl/boy thing going on for a deity?  Can you still build a devotional relationship with said God/dess, or do you just give them a wide berth and serve a deity that you can worship with a more respectful reverence?
There may be faeries.
There may be elves.
But the Gods help those who help themselves.

Solstice

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Deity fangirl/boys...seriously, is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 06:48:51 pm »
Quote from: Edeline;120495
So seriously, am I alone in this?  Does anybody else have a bit of a fan girl/boy thing going on for a deity?  Can you still build a devotional relationship with said God/dess, or do you just give them a wide berth and serve a deity that you can worship with a more respectful reverence?

You are definitely not alone, haha. I do get that way here and there, though I try to subdue it; I've never been the "Fangirl SQUEE" type person, but I do have moments where I'm like "OMG isn't that just precious? :3 "

My fangirlishness tends to come out with most anything involving birds, which is also interesting as many of my devotions go to Raven. But I get all glitter-eyed when anything to do with corvids comes up in conversation, and then I'm just all "Aren't they so cute though? OMG I'm gonna make a chibi sculpture of a raven and make it all shiny and sparkly and put it on my altar!" (Note: this happened yesterday).

For a more anthropomorphized and specific example (since you know some peeps can't help squealing over cute wickle animals, even if one is deified), I think Baldur is fucking adorable. I've never done work with Baldur (though I have with the one partly responsible for sending him to Hel -innocent whistle-) but whenever Baldur comes up in conversation I just get this big goofy grin on my face and a warm, fuzzy feeling comes over me, like I want to give him a big hug. To a lesser extent, I get that with Freyr, and I just think Heimdall is badass. Never worked with any of them, either, but I would if given the opportunity. I'm sure that I would be able to sober up a bit with the fangirling. But, I feel if I have to choke up my personality in service of a deity and find that I can't be myself, there might be some complications. It's hard for me to act serious for long, but I would definitely be respectful--just in my own, offbeat, awkward way.

Also: Hermes. Just. Hermes. XD

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 10:25:48 pm »
Random thread, and something a little fluffier than most, but I am genuinely curious…

So is there anybody else out there that has a completely inappropriately fan girl/boy reaction to certain deities, or am I alone and adrift on a sea of weirdness?  

Confession: I am a complete Manannan Mac Lir fan.  He’s just…awesome.  I get all gushy and fangirly whenever I read about him.  (Pathetic, no?)  I honestly don’t know what it is about him, I’ve never met him, never performed a ceremony to him, and yet I turn into a giggly thirteen year old whenever the topic comes up anywhere.  And lets face it, it’s kind of embarrassing.  It just seems like a hugely inappropriate - and completely disrespectful - way to think of a deity that I respect and revere, even if I don’t work with him directly.   I would never try and pray to him or establish contact with him, because frankly, I can’t imagine anything more mortifying than him tipping up and being all ‘oh so you’re the creepy little weirdo that fantasises about me all the time huh?  Riiiight, yeah, I’m just gonna go now…’

My experience with Manannan is that he likes to be liked. He's a god who genuinely enjoys being in contact with humans. I don't think you have to worry about him being put off by your interest in him.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 02:16:44 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;120524
My experience with Manannan is that he likes to be liked. He's a god who genuinely enjoys being in contact with humans. I don't think you have to worry about him being put off by your interest in him.

Absolutely.  It took me years of approaching Nerthus with my best intentions before She accepted my seriousness.. She's just not much of a people-person.  When I first did a ritual for Manannan, I was shocked that He showed up, let alone His friendly attitude.  I honor a number of Deities regularly, but He always stops by to accept the offerings I make to Him and say a quick hello.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:17:26 pm by Aiwelin »
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 08:24:20 am »

IME, Manannan genuinely likes mortals, and He'd probably find your fangirling adorable. Like Stephy said, He likes being liked.

And I agree, He is totally awesome. ;)

For deities I don't worship: I sort of have that for Loki? Which is very related to Tom Hiddleston, probably, but for the record I did like Loki in a fannish way before Thor/The Avengers. The fannishness has just increased now.

And Dionysos, Whom I worship. (There's a reason I consider myself a maenad, and it's not just because I tend to rip men to pieces in the forest.) And you could consider me a fan of the other deities I worship, though I'm not totally starstruck with Them, and often the fannishness takes on different qualities (I'm a fan of Manannan, say, in the way an adoring daughter loves everything her dad does, and I'm a fan of Morrigan in the way that I admire Her and want to be more like Her and when I'm feeling particularly angry and feminist I think What would Morrigan do? and the answer is invariably DECORATE HER LAWN WITH THE HEADS OF MISOGYNISTS SHOVED ON PIKES, STREWN LIKE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS which is basically what I would do, were there not these pesky laws in the way, so it makes me feel better while I buckle down to continue being an activist though I'd really rather eat pudding and watch Grey's Anatomy with my mother). So I definitely think it's possible to build a devotional relationship with a deity of Whom you're a fan.

I don't really get starstruck or incoherent over things I'm fans of these days, with perhaps Battlestar Galactica being an exception, because it's asdflkjsda;fksdf;asljfBattlestar Galactica, oh my fuck. So it's sort of weird for me to describe myself as a fan, or as fangrrling over something/someone/someOne, because I don't often do so in the usual sense that's meant.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 01:58:49 am »

While I do not have that reaction, I understand it. From a very sociological perspective, neopaganism has a lot of features of modern fandom culture; the demographics have a lot of overlap, and so similar attitudes are to be expected. Not just with how people react to their deities, but also in regards to how people deal with others in the same religion. This has negative as well as positive end results, but it is what it is.

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 03:08:37 pm »
Quote from: Louisvillian;120882
While I do not have that reaction...

I don't think terms like fanboy/fangirl can really be applied here as the relationship between a person and a deity is quite different. The worship of a deity is based in philosophical and spiritual relationships related to ones perceived place in their universe and their own spiritual nature and is more closely related to the pursuit of spiritual wisdom and well being and in some cases, salvation rather than adoration alone. There is a sense that by connecting to a deity is part of connecting to inner divinity.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 04:03:19 pm »
Quote from: Riothamus12;120937
I don't think terms like fanboy/fangirl can really be applied here as the relationship between a person and a deity is quite different. The worship of a deity is based in philosophical and spiritual relationships related to ones perceived place in their universe and their own spiritual nature and is more closely related to the pursuit of spiritual wisdom and well being and in some cases, salvation rather than adoration alone. There is a sense that by connecting to a deity is part of connecting to inner divinity.

You know, adding specifiers like "to me" to statements like this might help prevent people from thinking you're dictating a "ONE TRUE WAY".
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 04:41:36 pm »
The worship of a deity is based in philosophical and spiritual relationships related to ones perceived place in their universe and their own spiritual nature and is more closely related to the pursuit of spiritual wisdom and well being and in some cases, salvation rather than adoration alone.

I have numerous festivals, based upon ancient festivals (predominantly ancient Egyptian), which are dedicated solely to adoration of a particular deity or groups of deities. So I'd have to say this statement isn't true for me.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 05:14:21 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;120950
I have numerous festivals, based upon ancient festivals (predominantly ancient Egyptian), which are dedicated solely to adoration of a particular deity or groups of deities. So I'd have to say this statement isn't true for me.

As do I.  It isn't true for me either.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 01:19:36 am »
The worship of a deity is based in philosophical and spiritual relationships related to ones perceived place in their universe and their own spiritual nature and is more closely related to the pursuit of spiritual wisdom and well being and in some cases, salvation rather than adoration alone. There is a sense that by connecting to a deity is part of connecting to inner divinity.

So what should I call it when I perform rituals for reasons of adoration alone, O Arbiter of True Religion? Because that is the thing that I actually call WORSHIP. Inner work and ascension practices are something else altogether and, to my mind, rather more self-focused than I think of worship as being.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 01:46:45 am »
I don't think terms like fanboy/fangirl can really be applied here as the relationship between a person and a deity is quite different.

Why am I not surprised?

The worship of a deity is based in philosophical and spiritual relationships related to ones perceived place in their universe and their own spiritual nature and is more closely related to the pursuit of spiritual wisdom and well being and in some cases, salvation rather than adoration alone. There is a sense that by connecting to a deity is part of connecting to inner divinity.

Not for everyone.

I honestly don't know how many times it can be said: if you're going to try and speak for everyone else, you're going to have a bad time.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 02:53:48 pm »

I definitely get excited whenever I hear something about Quan Yin, but I try not to make it too public. My boyfriend doesn't like fangirling. Quan Yin doesn't seem to mind, though.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 09:32:24 pm »

Like Morag, I don't get fangirly over stuff. At least, not since I was 12 and was in love with Leonardo DiCaprio on Growing Pains....

But, if we are talking "deities who you don't work with but have a strong interest in", I would say Janus.

Tags: