collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Deities for military families/families where one parent is away for long stretches  (Read 1135 times)

Kira

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2013
  • Posts: 96
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
I don't know if this is the right forum for this question, but here goes:  I am a military wife, and yesterday we found out that my husband leaves Tuesday for six months.  No biggie, it's part of the life, and he's going on a course, not on deployment, so no danger.  What I am wondering is, are there other military spouses out there, or other people whose partners leave for long periods of time, and if so, are there specific deities that you work with /would recommend to give you extra strength and patience (ie: to not strangle the kidlets) during this time?  Or do you stick with your regular deities?  I know there are plenty of deities out there that could give a warrior strength - but how about the family?  My girls miss their old man something fierce when he's away, and it would be really awesome if there was someone I could ask to keep an eye on them, if that makes sense.

Thanks!

PhantomQueen

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 201
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kira;101477
I don't know if this is the right forum for this question, but here goes:  I am a military wife, and yesterday we found out that my husband leaves Tuesday for six months.  No biggie, it's part of the life, and he's going on a course, not on deployment, so no danger.  What I am wondering is, are there other military spouses out there, or other people whose partners leave for long periods of time, and if so, are there specific deities that you work with /would recommend to give you extra strength and patience (ie: to not strangle the kidlets) during this time?  Or do you stick with your regular deities?  I know there are plenty of deities out there that could give a warrior strength - but how about the family?  My girls miss their old man something fierce when he's away, and it would be really awesome if there was someone I could ask to keep an eye on them, if that makes sense.

Thanks!

 
I'm not from a military family, but have heard that some ask Morrigan to keep an eye over family while they're away.  Many think that Morrigan is all for blod and guts, but forget that she grants sovereignty too among other things.  She protects the land as it is the land that is sacred.  Perhaps you could try to convey to the girls that their dad's trying to protect the land you all live in...

Kira

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2013
  • Posts: 96
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: PhantomQueen;101478
I'm not from a military family, but have heard that some ask Morrigan to keep an eye over family while they're away.  Many think that Morrigan is all for blod and guts, but forget that she grants sovereignty too among other things.  She protects the land as it is the land that is sacred.  Perhaps you could try to convey to the girls that their dad's trying to protect the land you all live in...

 
The girls know their Dad is a protector, and they are very proud of him (and we live on a military base, so a lot of their friends are often in the same boat), but he is their best friend, and the oldest one especially is getting to the age where she starts to shut a bit of herself away when he is gone.  Thanks for the suggestion - I've not worked with Morrigan, but lately every time I've seen a crow or a raven, I've taken to saying hello to her.  So maybe she'll not be too surprised?

Oíche

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Nov 2012
  • Posts: 529
  • Country: ie
  • Total likes: 17
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
Quote from: PhantomQueen;101478
I'm not from a military family, but have heard that some ask Morrigan to keep an eye over family while they're away.  Many think that Morrigan is all for blod and guts, but forget that she grants sovereignty too among other things.  She protects the land as it is the land that is sacred.  Perhaps you could try to convey to the girls that their dad's trying to protect the land you all live in...

 
I'd second the Morrighan. :)
I've found Her to be great when needing a bit of strength in myself and support. :)
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2903
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 93
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kira;101480
The girls know their Dad is a protector, and they are very proud of him (and we live on a military base, so a lot of their friends are often in the same boat), but he is their best friend, and the oldest one especially is getting to the age where she starts to shut a bit of herself away when he is gone.  Thanks for the suggestion - I've not worked with Morrigan, but lately every time I've seen a crow or a raven, I've taken to saying hello to her.  So maybe she'll not be too surprised?

I wasn't going to respond to this question because I'm not a military spouse and my spouse and I are rarely apart for long periods of time, so I don't feel I have much to contribute.  

But when I read your posts, especially the part about your oldest daughter, I got one of those *nudges* to suggest that Brighid might be able to help you and your family -- to provide some comfort and support. I don't know why, exactly.  

All I know is that She wanted me to tell you.

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

PhantomQueen

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 201
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: Aster Breo;101506
I wasn't going to respond to this question because I'm not a military spouse and my spouse and I are rarely apart for long periods of time, so I don't feel I have much to contribute.  

But when I read your posts, especially the part about your oldest daughter, I got one of those *nudges* to suggest that Brighid might be able to help you and your family -- to provide some comfort and support. I don't know why, exactly.  

All I know is that She wanted me to tell you.

~ Aster


Perhaps the nudge was for the help in expressing her feelings some other way?  ie journal writing, poetry,drawing...?  Brighid my want a healthy way to express the anxiety etc she may have.  Just a thought, anyway ;)

Heliocoptero

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Sep 2012
  • Posts: 39
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://goldentrail.wordpress.com/
Quote from: Kira;101477
I know there are plenty of deities out there that could give a warrior strength - but how about the family?  My girls miss their old man something fierce when he's away, and it would be really awesome if there was someone I could ask to keep an eye on them, if that makes sense.


I'm not a soldier and the closest I have in the army is a very dear friend, but if I may, I'd suggest the goddess Juno. She watches over women, family and has a few war-like sides: Juno Curitis, for instance, had a temple on the Field of Mars and is connected to either the spear or the military units of Rome (the curiae); Juno Populona links to both the people and the soldiers, as it dates back to a time when there was no professional army.

Just my two cents.

Kira

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2013
  • Posts: 96
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cág;101492
I'd second the Morrighan. :)
I've found Her to be great when needing a bit of strength in myself and support. :)

 
Thanks - I think I will ask her for strength for myself, and especially for my girlies!

Kira

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2013
  • Posts: 96
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: Aster Breo;101506
I wasn't going to respond to this question because I'm not a military spouse and my spouse and I are rarely apart for long periods of time, so I don't feel I have much to contribute.  

But when I read your posts, especially the part about your oldest daughter, I got one of those *nudges* to suggest that Brighid might be able to help you and your family -- to provide some comfort and support. I don't know why, exactly.  

All I know is that She wanted me to tell you.

~ Aster


Thank you for the message - I am humbled that She is thinking of me and my daughters enough to nudge you.  I will work on finding a way to both honour Her and thank Her as well as getting guidance for myself and my girls.

Kira

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2013
  • Posts: 96
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: PhantomQueen;101530
Perhaps the nudge was for the help in expressing her feelings some other way?  ie journal writing, poetry,drawing...?  Brighid my want a healthy way to express the anxiety etc she may have.  Just a thought, anyway ;)


 The oldest girlie has taken to knitting to try and help ease her anxiety, but I think journaling would be really excellent for her - thanks!

Kira

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2013
  • Posts: 96
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: Heliocoptero;101532
I'm not a soldier and the closest I have in the army is a very dear friend, but if I may, I'd suggest the goddess Juno. She watches over women, family and has a few war-like sides: Juno Curitis, for instance, had a temple on the Field of Mars and is connected to either the spear or the military units of Rome (the curiae); Juno Populona links to both the people and the soldiers, as it dates back to a time when there was no professional army.

Just my two cents.


Thank you for the suggestion!  I am not that familiar with Juno, but after we get our guy sent off and I have some time to breathe, I will be wanting to do some research on her, I think.

PhantomQueen

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 201
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kira;101602
The oldest girlie has taken to knitting to try and help ease her anxiety, but I think journaling would be really excellent for her - thanks!

 
Yay!  Another knitter :)  I find it soothing to sit and knit for the afternoon...   I've mostly done baby hats for preemie wards of the hospitals round town and squares to be pieced together for afghans that go to the cancer centre.  It's just my way to honour Brighid.  Maybe later on your daughter would end up doing a bit in this way too for some good cause that speaks to her...

Kira

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2013
  • Posts: 96
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: PhantomQueen;101713
Yay!  Another knitter :)  I find it soothing to sit and knit for the afternoon...   I've mostly done baby hats for preemie wards of the hospitals round town and squares to be pieced together for afghans that go to the cancer centre.  It's just my way to honour Brighid.  Maybe later on your daughter would end up doing a bit in this way too for some good cause that speaks to her...

 
She is knitting as we speak - although her cat is being just a wee bit of a butthead about it.  Girlie is an animal lover, and has had birthday parties where she asked for donations to the SPCA in lieu of gifts before (and is waiting for the approximately, according to her, thousand years before she'll be 13 and old enough to volunteer there), so maybe she can knit blankets for them.  Mind you, she is also a baby suck, so she'd probably be all over making blankies or hats for the NICU as well.  Thanks for the great suggestions!

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
2262 Views
Last post December 25, 2012, 11:43:54 pm
by Darkhawk
0 Replies
921 Views
Last post September 21, 2015, 07:40:36 pm
by RandallS
0 Replies
721 Views
Last post October 19, 2015, 06:05:49 pm
by Newsposter
9 Replies
4361 Views
Last post May 04, 2016, 08:48:52 am
by Noctua
10 Replies
4653 Views
Last post December 07, 2016, 10:26:32 am
by MamaThistle

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 43
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall