collapse

Author Topic: Deities following you through lifetimes/ incarnations  (Read 1556 times)

Arcadia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Deities following you through lifetimes/ incarnations
« on: August 09, 2011, 11:28:44 am »
My patron Dionysos recently divulged that he has been with me for more than just this lifetime. That I worshipped him in another. It doesn't surprise me and is something I had always wondered about those deities who touch my life.

So for those of you who believe in, or in the possibility of reincarnation,
and who have a deity or deities in your life:
do you think, feel or know the deities you work with or have worked with have been with you in another life?
Guided be the hand and mind
[/FONT]

Starglade

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Deities following you through lifetimes/ incarnations
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 03:53:30 pm »
Quote from: Arcadia;11691

do you think, feel or know the deities you work with or have worked with have been with you in another life?

Speaking for myself only, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that were the case. A similar discussion to this w/r/t being drawn to a particular path is ongoing at the Buddhist forum I frequent; of course, the discussion there is framed by the concept of karma (action) and its results. I accept the Tibetan Buddhist "flavor" of reincarnation, and because of that acceptance, I have no problem saying that something I did previously led me to that path this time around the wheel. The sense of "homecoming" was much stronger with Buddhism than it ever was with Wiccishness, I can say that for certain. That also leads me to answer "Yeah, it's highly likely I've done this before and quite possibly with the same emanation of Compassion."
"The Eightfold Path is sometimes called the pathless path. Each step brings a growing awareness that enlightenment is in the here and now--in the world and in our relationships as we read these words . . . now." -- Jonathan White
http://grammargeddon.com

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 04:56:48 pm »

Set has implied that he has been around me before, during previous lifetimes. I can't say for certain whether this is true or not, but he'd certainly like me to think it's accurate lol.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 05:35:42 pm »
...do you think, feel or know the deities you work with or have worked with have been with you in another life?

I've worshiped Sekhmet in more lives than I've been Christian... and I have little doubt that this old soul has been around since time immemorial.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thelittleseawitch.net
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 06:01:46 pm »

I do believe in reincarnation, but not one-to-one; that is, I have never existed before, and I will not exist again. We are a drop in the ocean- we live a lifetime in cupped hands, but once returned to the sea, that same handful can never be remade in precisely the same way.

That being said, I do believe that some of the bits of my soul have previously worked with the deities I work with now, particularly Brighid, Hekate and Hetharu. It's my UPG that they may have cherry-picked some bits intentionally (to no particular end aside from 'why not?' and 'hmm, what about this?' as far as I can tell!) I have... images, memories even, that I have a visceral connection to that I have never experienced. I also feel that connection to a deity that I do not currently work with: Odin. I do not belong to ol' One Eye, but part of me did, once. (And the lingering sense of amusement makes me wonder exactly how, sometimes.)
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

The Little Sea Witch - personal/catch-all blog
MistSeeking - religious blog

Starglade

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 06:05:46 pm »
Quote from: Juni;11783
I do believe in reincarnation, but not one-to-one; that is, I have never existed before, and I will not exist again. We are a drop in the ocean- we live a lifetime in cupped hands, but once returned to the sea, that same handful can never be remade in precisely the same way.

Yep, that's it all right. :-) Parts may (and sometimes apparently do) carry over to the next time around--but not the entirety. (Again, speaking only for myself, and from a Tibetan Buddhist POV.)
"The Eightfold Path is sometimes called the pathless path. Each step brings a growing awareness that enlightenment is in the here and now--in the world and in our relationships as we read these words . . . now." -- Jonathan White
http://grammargeddon.com

garlicandmint

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 05:40:38 pm »

I believe strongly that I was a priestess and/or a nun in at least a few times. I react so strongly to images/impressions/depictions/history of women in holy service that it's just something I've always thought.

KittyVel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 05:36:50 pm »
My patron Dionysos recently divulged that he has been with me for more than just this lifetime. That I worshipped him in another. It doesn't surprise me and is something I had always wondered about those deities who touch my life.

I honestly only know of animal past lives for myself (I feel these are the cause of my therianthropy), so I really wouldn't know if Anpu has been with me in other lives.  If I have had any human past lives, though, then I think it's definitely possible that He was with me during that time.
<3 Rest in peace, Christiana. I love you so much, and I miss you like crazy already. At least you\'re not hurting anymore...May you ascend. <3

Garm

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 11:39:31 pm »

I'm not the strictest beleiver in reincarnation

Memory furnishes for identity, but is not the same thing, so that memory getting past down is not the same thing as the "soul" being reborn

Often the memories of the spirituality and the life that went in support of it are part of a package deal

There was Odin and there has been Vrithragna, the latter took more than a decade to find the name to go with the memories

There was another deity connected with salamanders which I am sure I'll never have the name of so, to my regret, I'll never really be able to work with.  The path was a shaman like one connected with some backwoods warlock who used neurotoxins found in the skins of some amphibians as an ecstatic drug.

The connection between my fascination with psychedelics and salamanders was never clear until I read an article about rural Czechs occasionally spiking brandy with salamander toxins to give it more of a kick
"I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone.  But they have always worked for me"
---Hunter S Thompson

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 03:25:22 am »

I've always had this gut feeling that I had served Hekate in priestess quality during another lifetime, and that was sorts of confirmed during a meditation session with said Lady. I have no residual memories to vouch for this notion, however i would like to be able to say otherwise, but it just feels so right to think of myself in that fashion that even when i doubt, i can't doubt completely.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Tags: