collapse

Author Topic: Continental Celtic Deities-- Your Take (and a bit of the Brits, too!)  (Read 5907 times)

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Re: Continental Celtic Deities-- Your Take (and a bit of the Brits, too!)
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 11:42:44 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;66606
There's a little more about her interpretations of some of the myths and her lack of knowledge of Celtic languages.  Here's the direct link to the page with the explanation, if that helps:  http://www.paganachd.com/faq/qualrec.html#green

Yes, that does help! Thank you so much.
I do altar art, icons, and pagan art!
http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Ask if you\'re interested.

Sereyn

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2012, 04:08:23 pm »
Quote from: NibbleKat;66127

What do you know about your Celtic deity in an archaeology sense?
What do you know about them from UPG?
Is your deity a mother deity? A sun deity? A water or earth deity?
What do those particular symbols mean to you? (Water/sun/earth/stellar)
How does the Roman occupation of these areas affect (or does it?) how you see/interact with your deities?

Well the Gaulish/Continental celtic deities have always took my interest.. But been diswayed by the lack of information out there on them, maybe this is just the nudge I need to get my butt in gear ;) However.. deities that I have been drawn to, But haven't put my toe in the pool to get to know them yet are Sulis and Belenus.

One more is Coventina, She is a North England goddess and I went to visit one of her sites in Northumberland which was amazing :) She is connected to rivers, and I associate her with any natural water source. Healing. Prophecy. Luck (This is total UPG though..) There was some remains of coins found at a well by her site.

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 04:11:03 pm »
Quote from: Sereyn;66828
Well the Gaulish/Continental celtic deities have always took my interest.. But been diswayed by the lack of information out there on them, maybe this is just the nudge I need to get my butt in gear ;) However.. deities that I have been drawn to, But haven't put my toe in the pool to get to know them yet are Sulis and Belenus.

One more is Coventina, She is a North England goddess and I went to visit one of her sites in Northumberland which was amazing :) She is connected to rivers, and I associate her with any natural water source. Healing. Prophecy. Luck (This is total UPG though..) There was some remains of coins found at a well by her site.
I also honor Belenus and Sulis, they are rather new to me. Any insight on them? Maybe we could compare.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 06:30:20 pm »
Quote from: Sereyn;66828

I love Coventina. Very very much.  She also has, by water-Celt-default, Otherworld connections, since water was one passage-way into the Otherworld. :) Coins were often tossed into water shrines. :)

Sereyn

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2012, 06:15:26 pm »
Quote from: Celtag;66830
I also honor Belenus and Sulis, they are rather new to me. Any insight on them? Maybe we could compare.

To be honest, They are new to me also.. I feel I'm being pulled to Sequana and Sirona, I love the celtic goddesses and their connection to rivers and the otherworld, I find it so interesting :)

NibbleKat - What sort of offerings do Sequana and Sirona like? Do you give them in any specific way? I know in some celtic practices they give the offerings to the earth, So I'm not sure if the Gauls would be the same or would it not matter?

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 04:01:28 pm »
Quote from: Sereyn;68035
To be honest, They are new to me also.. I feel I'm being pulled to Sequana and Sirona, I love the celtic goddesses and their connection to rivers and the otherworld, I find it so interesting :)

NibbleKat - What sort of offerings do Sequana and Sirona like? Do you give them in any specific way? I know in some celtic practices they give the offerings to the earth, So I'm not sure if the Gauls would be the same or would it not matter?

Heyo.  Check your PMs!

And as for me, I don't try and do the reconstructionist thing;  I go more by feeling than anything.  Also, having been doing more reading about the animal and human sacrifices the Celts used to do, I'm very, very happy with just offering up fruits, grains, breads, etc. :) Heehee. (Not that reconstructionists would do this! Just talking about the ancients)

A Disgruntled Scotsman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 05:45:06 pm »
Quote from: NibbleKat;66127
So, as you may or may not know, two of the three deities I worship are from Gaul/the Continent.  Unlike the Irish Celts, for example, many of the Romano-British/Brythonic and Gallic/Eastern European Celtic deities have very, very little information about them.

I want to hear from you guys who worship/follow/whathaveyou deities that are from the aforementioned scantily-info'ed areas. I'm not dissing those who do follow the better-documented deities like Brigid or the Morrigan, of course, but they have many tales and whatnot around to poke through... I suppose the questions I'm asking are going to be broad-spectrum things like:

What do you know about your Celtic deity in an archaeology sense?
What do you know about them from UPG?
Is your deity a mother deity? A sun deity? A water or earth deity?
What do those particular symbols mean to you? (Water/sun/earth/stellar)
How does the Roman occupation of these areas affect (or does it?) how you see/interact with your deities?

In short, I just want to know.

I myself follow two:  
Sirona, who is a water/healing/chthonic/stellar goddess, and Sequana, who is similar to Sirona in regards to the water/healing/otherworld aspects, but is a solar deity.

I am currently exploring these similar but different aspects of them, trying to figure out what a solar deity is, what a star deity is, how the Romans "changed" them, etc... so hearing other people's opinions and thoughts I think would really be helpful for me!

I'm not confident enough to say I follow any specific deities but I did have a dream/vision of Cernunnos after my moot's Litha ritual so that's the only experience of Deity I can say I've ever had.  I had asked for the essence of the Holly King and I got a visit from the Stag Lord (my own name for him) instead :D:

I know that he's a god of nature and fertility (from reading) and is associated with horned animals like the noble stag.  But that's it.  Is he the consort to one of the goddesses/The Goddess (depending on how you view Celtic divinity)?  I vaguely recall hearing something of this nature somewhere...
/ | \\     Be The Awen!

Member of the British Druid Order.

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 04:06:10 pm »
Quote from: A Disgruntled Scotsman;69428
I'm not confident enough to say I follow any specific deities but I did have a dream/vision of Cernunnos after my moot's Litha ritual so that's the only experience of Deity I can say I've ever had.  I had asked for the essence of the Holly King and I got a visit from the Stag Lord (my own name for him) instead :D:

I know that he's a god of nature and fertility (from reading) and is associated with horned animals like the noble stag.  But that's it.  Is he the consort to one of the goddesses/The Goddess (depending on how you view Celtic divinity)?  I vaguely recall hearing something of this nature somewhere...

Funny, I was just reading about Cernunnos today, and other horned beings.  I vaguely recall (ha! Bad brain on my part) that he is shown with goddesses, but I don't know if he has a consort.  I know the Celts would often worship several deities in one shrine after the Romans came, but... I know less about him than others.

I DO know that the Celts stuck horns on a lot of beings that weren't Cernunnos! Bull antlers were popular.  The theory is that it showed/gave empowerment and strength to the image/deity.

Tags: