Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Ceres  (Read 972 times)

Fallron

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Ceres
« on: October 30, 2015, 07:38:07 am »
I did a meditation yesterday and out of the blue I decided to ask in the meditation which deity is with me at this time, the name I very clearly got was "Ceres". Never having heard of this deity before, after the meditation was over I did a google search to find she does exist and is a Roman goddess of agriculture, fertility and motherly relationships. I've done some research on her over the past 24 hours and found her mythology to be indistinguishable from the Greek goddess Demeter, however strangely I feel Ceres and Demeter are different deities.

My question is, has anybody worked with Ceres and wanted to share their experiences? UPG is fine.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Ceres
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 10:17:02 pm »
Quote from: Fallron;181674
I've done some research on her over the past 24 hours and found her mythology to be indistinguishable from the Greek goddess Demeter, however strangely I feel Ceres and Demeter are different deities.

No personal experience to offer; just wanted to throw in a few words about the quoted bit. Ceres' mythology is very likely indistinguishable from Demeter's because the Romans ganked it from the Greeks - Roman mythology (the definition of 'myth' Catja provides is very relevant here) tended to centre on mythic history/founding narrative, morality, and politics, rather than on theology/divine narrative, so stories about Ceres are generally originally narratives about her Greek counterpart. On the other hand, Ceres herself is a distinctly Italic deity, worshipped not just by the Romans but among their neighboring peoples. So considering them to be different deities is a sound and supportable hard-polytheist position.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

OfSunlight&Shadows

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 02:04:10 pm »
Quote from: Fallron;181674
I did a meditation yesterday and out of the blue I decided to ask in the meditation which deity is with me at this time, the name I very clearly got was "Ceres". Never having heard of this deity before, after the meditation was over I did a google search to find she does exist and is a Roman goddess of agriculture, fertility and motherly relationships. I've done some research on her over the past 24 hours and found her mythology to be indistinguishable from the Greek goddess Demeter, however strangely I feel Ceres and Demeter are different deities.

My question is, has anybody worked with Ceres and wanted to share their experiences? UPG is fine.

Not person experiences, but you might be interested in this book:
The Roman Goddess Ceres - Barbette Stanley Spaeth  
 http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Goddess-Barbette-Stanley-Spaeth/dp/0292776934

Pteranotropi

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 01:21:24 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;181715
No personal experience to offer; just wanted to throw in a few words about the quoted bit. Ceres' mythology is very likely indistinguishable from Demeter's because the Romans ganked it from the Greeks - Roman mythology (the definition of 'myth' Catja provides is very relevant here) tended to centre on mythic history/founding narrative, morality, and politics, rather than on theology/divine narrative, so stories about Ceres are generally originally narratives about her Greek counterpart. On the other hand, Ceres herself is a distinctly Italic deity, worshipped not just by the Romans but among their neighboring peoples. So considering them to be different deities is a sound and supportable hard-polytheist position.

Sunflower

This.

Romans made a precise point of adopting other cultures' mythology, so while Ceres may have an "official" Demeter mythology, she is not necessarily the same deity.

Its a less extreme example than the Ares-Mars dichotomy.

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 234
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal