Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Celto-germanic gallo-roman religions  (Read 6268 times)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Celto-germanic gallo-roman religions
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 02:15:07 am »
... but (correct me if you know of one) I am not aware of other cultures in which labyrinths appeared earlier--not as sacred spaces anyway. And since the labyrinth has no foundation in Christian culture, I do assume it is a pagan survival.

That - as you've since determined per your followup post - is more than just a safe assumption, it's a demonstrable fact... that is, it's a survival from before the Christianization of those cultures. It is an assumption, but not an unreasonable one, that labyrinths were (in many cases if not all) 'pagan survivals' in the religious sense, that is, that they served religious/mystical/magical/sacred purposes. I was not, though, disputing that.

The records are too spotty to talk about solid evidence, but the establishment of a Christian church eight centuries earlier does not mean the population was converted at that time, or that once converted they shed their culture entirely.

No, of course not. But over the course of eight centuries, a great deal of cultural change can occur - particularly since the original church dates back to a time when the Franks were only just beginning to move into what became France. So there's the culture/population in the area at the time the original church was built on the Chartres site (whose conversion likely spanned a period starting before the church was constructed and extending after), and then there's the incoming largely-not-yet-Christianized Frankish population with its own distinct culture.

Combined with a lack of more-contemporary evidence of Gaulish/Celtic labyrinths, a Gaulish origin seems the least likely explanation; what seems to me most probable is that it came to Chartres from Greece via the Romans, either directly during the Roman period, or at some later point, and most likely as an esthetic design, shorn of its original sacred significances.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Celto-germanic gallo-roman religions
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 02:18:40 am »
But I am also seeing a number of Christian scholars who flatly claim they are pagan and have nothing to do with Christian history or religion.

That probably has everything to do with policing 'proper' (in the eyes of those making the claim) Christian practices, and very little to do with the history of labyrinths other than noting that they weren't invented by and for Christians. Since no one in this thread is claiming labyrinths are specifically Christian, it doesn't seem particularly relevant.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: