Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Black Forest myths and lore?  (Read 9211 times)

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Black Forest myths and lore?
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:11:38 am »
Has anyone else read some of these? I know Hansel and Gretel among the various versions out there.  I can not seem to find a date around when the myths started to appear in the Black Forest folklore.

I have been there. I have a tiny witch figurine from there, the Schwarzwald isn't far from where I was born and raised.  

So far I've found the hunters whose mark never missed, the werewolves, the hereditary black witches and the dwarves. I haven't looked at it but I have a feeling that Snow White might also come from this region. Come to think of it, Red Riding Hood as well. I can only speculate on that at this point, I haven't gotten a chance to look for the orginal Grimm's Fairy Tales. Thoughts?
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Re: Black Forest myths and lore?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 01:32:09 pm »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;63796

Hey, I was born in Freiburg, which isn't far, but the folklore of the region is certainly a gap in my education. I'd be happy to read more about it if you find anything. Maybe I'll google it in German later.

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 02:07:04 pm »
Quote from: Waldhexe;63813
Hey, I was born in Freiburg, which isn't far, but the folklore of the region is certainly a gap in my education. I'd be happy to read more about it if you find anything. Maybe I'll google it in German later.

I'm from Rafz/Wil :) You'll probably be faster than me, my German is rather poor being almost completely self-taught. I might call my grandmother and see what she knows.

Look up "Schwarzwald Hexen" and you should find something. I stumbled on it by accident, I was cleaning my room and found the witch figurine. Then later I was reading "Feste im Alpenraum" and came across Knecht Rupert (might have that spelled wrong) who tried to force his sister to marry Knecht Bruno. The Black Forest dwarves helped her escape. Some festival involves Knecht Rupert and that's why that was mentioned.

I did consistently find that the witches were considered evil and did evil deeds and also that they were families (so traditional).  The hunter was only mentioned once in the story of the werewolf. The hunter who never missed waited for the wolf who kept stealing the best sheep. The hunter hit the wolf but it escaped. Next morning a villager was found with a bullet wound.

Should mention it is dark stuff, that lore is probably where Walpurgisnacht and several other witch-burning traditions come from.
[/B]

Wickerman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 02:48:50 pm »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;63796
Has anyone else read some of these? I know Hansel and Gretel among the various versions out there.  I can not seem to find a date around when the myths started to appear in the Black Forest folklore.

I have been there. I have a tiny witch figurine from there, the Schwarzwald isn't far from where I was born and raised.  

So far I've found the hunters whose mark never missed, the werewolves, the hereditary black witches and the dwarves. I haven't looked at it but I have a feeling that Snow White might also come from this region. Come to think of it, Red Riding Hood as well. I can only speculate on that at this point, I haven't gotten a chance to look for the orginal Grimm's Fairy Tales. Thoughts?

I have an early edition of Grimm's. It is in English, and is very old. I bought it at auction at a local thrift store. It came in it's original box. The stories are unlike most fairy tales. [/IMG][/IMG]
"Don\'t take life too seriously, or you\'ll never get out of it alive." (Bugs Bunny)

Wickerman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 02:50:52 pm »
Quote from: Wickerman;63830
I have an early edition of Grimm's.

Did the images post?
"Don\'t take life too seriously, or you\'ll never get out of it alive." (Bugs Bunny)

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 03:01:37 pm »
Quote from: Wickerman;63831
Did the images post?

Sadly no. I really hope I can find a copy like that, English preferred (means it will take me less than a year to read the entire thing). I know they are not like fairy tales but you knew what I meant. I'm hoping my university library can help me in the fall. They have a hard copy of Teutonic Mythology, excited to read that. My laptop is a netbook and with my poor eyesight, it takes me forever to read something on the web.
[/B]

Wickerman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 03:23:42 pm »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;63835
Sadly no. I really hope I can find a copy like that, English preferred (means it will take me less than a year to read the entire thing). I know they are not like fairy tales but you knew what I meant. I'm hoping my university library can help me in the fall. They have a hard copy of Teutonic Mythology, excited to read that. My laptop is a netbook and with my poor eyesight, it takes me forever to read something on the web.

I'll make another attempt at the images tonight. I despise reading on the internet, or computer. I guess that I am just old school, I like books made of paper. We have copies of manuscripts that are over 1000 years old, I wonder how many E-books will survive that long.

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 03:53:52 pm »
Quote from: Wickerman;63840
I'll make another attempt at the images tonight. I despise reading on the internet, or computer. I guess that I am just old school, I like books made of paper. We have copies of manuscripts that are over 1000 years old, I wonder how many E-books will survive that long.

Hopefully the images show up. If I could I would have many books, I love to read. Right now I depend on libraries.  I leave e-books to the kind of books you only read once anyway ;) aka the beach novels.

The university has an Archives (historical) section down in the basement of the library, something tells me I might be spending a lot of time down there next semester.

Got something to add to the Black Forest collection, the Feste book had days of holding huge bonfires to chase out the witches. But one account of Walpurgisnacht I just came across had the witches chasing out spring and also renamed them wise-women. They sourced Grimm and Rohz. The events are geographically fairly close to the Black Forest.
[/B]

Wickerman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 11:28:21 pm »
Quote from: Wickerman;63831
Did the images post?

Lets have another go at those images.

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 07:33:54 am »
Quote from: Wickerman;63936
Lets have another go at those images.

Wow! That is so cool! Thanks for sharing!
[/B]

Tags: