Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: Bast, Sekhmet, Demeter.. a good mix?  (Read 2623 times)

troll maiden

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Bast, Sekhmet, Demeter.. a good mix?
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:27:07 pm »
I've been wanting to set up a dedicated space in room for awhile for the Goddesses I honour.

The three main deities I honour are Bast, Sekhmet and Demeter. I know Bast and Sekhmet rub along together nicely. But I'm unsure how well They'll mix with Demeter. :(

In a way they're all mothering, protective deities. But to me their energy is rather different.

I'm sure the best thing to do would be ask the deities directly to see what They think. But I'm not sure how to approach Demeter. Out of the three, She's the one I work with the least. Does anyone have any insight or experience with working with her? Or any idea how receptive she'd be to mixing with another pantheon?

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
Re: Bast, Sekhmet, Demeter.. a good mix?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 11:38:48 pm »
Quote from: troll maiden;93507
I've been wanting to set up a dedicated space in room for awhile for the Goddesses I honour.

The three main deities I honour are Bast, Sekhmet and Demeter. I know Bast and Sekhmet rub along together nicely. But I'm unsure how well They'll mix with Demeter. :(

In a way they're all mothering, protective deities. But to me their energy is rather different.

I'm sure the best thing to do would be ask the deities directly to see what They think. But I'm not sure how to approach Demeter. Out of the three, She's the one I work with the least. Does anyone have any insight or experience with working with her? Or any idea how receptive she'd be to mixing with another pantheon?

It's certainly an interesting, unique mix: their energy is very, very different, as you said. Demeter's a goddess I don't work well with (oddly enough, Persephone is my lady :) )but I do think she could be convinced to work with Bast and Sekhmet, so long as she's convinced that they are for HER cause and not overstepping on her grounds. Just my odd thoughts on the matter.

troll maiden

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 05:02:45 am »
Quote from: RoselynLibera;93626
It's certainly an interesting, unique mix: their energy is very, very different, as you said. Demeter's a goddess I don't work well with (oddly enough, Persephone is my lady :) )

That's interesting, what draws you to Persephone?

Quote from: RoselynLibera;93626
but I do think she could be convinced to work with Bast and Sekhmet, so long as she's convinced that they are for HER cause and not overstepping on her grounds. Just my odd thoughts on the matter.

That's good to know. The last thing I wanted to do is annoy Her by putting her with Bast and Sekhmet. It makes sense, after all humans are the same! I personally would hate the idea of being put into a group of strangers without being consulted first. Especially if they all sit there speaking Ancient Egyptian. :p

Btw your avatar is making me want to re-watch the Harry Potter films. XD

NorthernangelNimya

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 05:14:33 am »

Bast is my mother, she is very nurturing but you have to remember she has a darker side to her as well. She is known as The Eye of Ra and is known for her wrath. Sorry I don't work with Demeter. Sekhmet is also known as the twin side of Bast. (the darker side)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 05:17:29 am by NorthernangelNimya »

troll maiden

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 05:38:59 am »
Quote from: NorthernangelNimya;93636
Bast is my mother, she is very nurturing but you have to remember she has a darker side to her as well. She is known as The Eye of Ra and is known for her wrath. Sorry I don't work with Demeter. Sekhmet is also known as the twin side of Bast. (the darker side)

Bast is a lovely deity, she gives off such wonderful soothing energy. She balances out Sekhmet's fiery side brilliantly. :)
I honour them as a yin-yang deity; two sides of the same coin, yet both deities in their own right.  

I feel drawn to Demeter, always have done. I love the story of her and Persephone and I always think of it when I eat pomegranate seeds. However from the story I know how determined and relentless she can be. The last thing I want to do is draw out the negative side of these traits. :(

NorthernangelNimya

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 05:43:00 am »
Quote from: troll maiden;93639
Bast is a lovely deity, she gives off such wonderful soothing energy. She balances out Sekhmet's fiery side brilliantly. :)
I honour them as a yin-yang deity; two sides of the same coin, yet both deities in their own right.  

I feel drawn to Demeter, always have done. I love the story of her and Persephone and I always think of it when I eat pomegranate seeds. However from the story I know how determined and relentless she can be. The last thing I want to do is draw out the negative side of these traits. :(

Yes she is a wonderful deity, I love to offer her bread and libations of water, she seems to enjoy it. :)

troll maiden

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 05:58:09 am »
Quote from: NorthernangelNimya;93641
Yes she is a wonderful deity, I love to offer her bread and libations of water, she seems to enjoy it. :)

That's good to know, I know a lot of deities can be rather choosy with what they're offered. In my opinion Aphrodite always struck me as a deity who'd want only the best. ;)

I'm looking forward to having a dedicated space in my room for the deities- it'll be good to be able to start giving them more tangible offerings. It means more TLC for Demeter as well, and I'm sure She'll appreciate that. :)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 12:45:40 pm »
Quote from: troll maiden;93639

Personally I've been drawing to Bast and Sekhmet, as well as two other Netjeret: Aset and Het-heret (Isis and Hathor, if you're going by the Greek names). Part of why I like them is because there's this overlapping "two sides of the same coin" going on between all four of them, for me. Het-heret and Sekhmet have their own history of literally being two aspects of the same goddess; Bast and Het-heret feel similar to me in terms of being Ladies of light, joy, and sensuality; Bast and Sekhmet because they can both be fierce protectors as Eyes of Ra; Aset and everyone because, well... Aset. Does what She likes. :D

I have a very meager relationship with Demeter, Persephone, and Hades, but have always been inspired by that mythic arc between them. Demeter is a wonderful fierce mother, full of as much nurturing as she is anger, and grief. Demeter is the Mother Who Grieves, the one who can teach us (or at least has taught me) about what to do when part of our identity seems stripped away or denied us. (Persephone stolen from her, the goddess of spring and youth kept locked away in the dark Underworld, and Demeter's motherhood is shattered.) What to do when you are so angry, so broken, so lost, you stop attending to the duties of your life, you run away, hide, refuse to engage. How to get out of that. How to move on, and turn that moment of pain and loss into something constructive. Or at least how not to be lost forever.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 02:00:40 pm »
Quote from: troll maiden;93635
That's interesting, what draws you to Persephone?

That's good to know. The last thing I wanted to do is annoy Her by putting her with Bast and Sekhmet. It makes sense, after all humans are the same! I personally would hate the idea of being put into a group of strangers without being consulted first. Especially if they all sit there speaking Ancient Egyptian. :p

Btw your avatar is making me want to re-watch the Harry Potter films. XD

Persephone's been there in my life since I was about seven although it took me awhile to answer her back. There were many, many "coincidences" and hints along the way though.

I love what Sage has to say about Demeter, Hades and Persephone!

troll maiden

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 07:25:56 pm »

Update! Since I've decided to compile a folder of information for the all the deities I worship/study. Trying to contain all that info is way too tricky! :p

Anyway I love what Sage had to say about Demeter and her nature, it's really moving. Part of the info I want to compile in my info folder is the nature of the deity. So I'd be so appreciative if you would allow me to include your post. Obviously if you're not comfy with the idea then it's cool, but it'd be awesome to have a different view-point of the nature of Demeter. :)

Tags: