Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Artemis or Diana?  (Read 2281 times)

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Artemis or Diana?
« on: October 11, 2017, 09:29:32 pm »
Recently, I posted about my experiences with my contact with deities.

I'm still wrestling with who the heck are my patron Goddess and God - meditating hasn't worked too well, and my dreams are like disconnected phone calls; just when I'm about to hear the message, I drop the call because of my alarm. However, I may be on to something.

Few weeks ago, I went to the NY Pagan Pride Project, and met up with Altair. After spending probably too much money, we headed over to Enchantments, a local pagan supply store, to which I had never been. It was there that we saw some amazing statues of different deities from different pantheons - Greco-Roman, Egyptian, and many African pantheons. One in particular was of a young woman with her arrow drawn in her bow, accompanied by a wolf (or dog - unsure). I couldn't get my eyes off of it (and trust me, there were a lot of other statues there that I wanted to run away with).

There in lies a conundrum: how do you tell the difference between Artemis and Diana?
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Re: Artemis or Diana?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 04:13:10 am »

I'm still wrestling with who the heck are my patron Goddess and God - meditating hasn't worked too well, and my dreams are like disconnected phone calls; just when I'm about to hear the message, I drop the call because of my alarm. However, I may be on to something.

Few weeks ago, I went to the NY Pagan Pride Project, and met up with Altair. After spending probably too much money, we headed over to Enchantments, a local pagan supply store, to which I had never been. It was there that we saw some amazing statues of different deities from different pantheons - Greco-Roman, Egyptian, and many African pantheons. One in particular was of a young woman with her arrow drawn in her bow, accompanied by a wolf (or dog - unsure). I couldn't get my eyes off of it (and trust me, there were a lot of other statues there that I wanted to run away with).

There in lies a conundrum: how do you tell the difference between Artemis and Diana?

I don't think you really can. They are way more similar than They are different, and usually portrayed in very similar ways. You might only be able to tell based on whether She's dressed in a vaguely Roman or Greek manner, but honestly, if you're drawn to it, you're drawn to it. Best guess would be to take it home anyway, and then ask who She is.

Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 07:20:33 am »

Half-joking answer: ask her how she feels about Queen Elizabeth I, who was cast by poets and occultists of the time as an avatar of Diana in specific.

More serious answer: both "Diana" and "Artemis" are names that were applied to a hugely varied cast of goddesses across different regions. I lean towards a slice of the Hellenic pantheon myself (with a Minoan flavor), and I can tell you based on that research that Artemis had different attributes in different places--for example, while the more pan-Hellenic picture of her is as the virgin huntress sister of Apollo, in the Near East goddesses identified with the name "Artemis" were sometimes mother goddess "Potnia Theron" (mistress of beasts) types.

So you may want to focus less on dividing her into either Artemis or Diana and just getting in touch with her under whichever name and learning what her attributes are for you. Maybe she'll pick a name in time.

And like Sobekemiti says, probably pick up the statue (or one like it) when you can afford it, if it spoke to you that much.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 07:32:17 pm »
Half-joking answer: ask her how she feels about Queen Elizabeth I, who was cast by poets and occultists of the time as an avatar of Diana in specific.

I'm actually tempted to ask Her that question.

More serious answer: both "Diana" and "Artemis" are names that were applied to a hugely varied cast of goddesses across different regions. I lean towards a slice of the Hellenic pantheon myself (with a Minoan flavor), and I can tell you based on that research that Artemis had different attributes in different places--for example, while the more pan-Hellenic picture of her is as the virgin huntress sister of Apollo, in the Near East goddesses identified with the name "Artemis" were sometimes mother goddess "Potnia Theron" (mistress of beasts) types.

So you may want to focus less on dividing her into either Artemis or Diana and just getting in touch with her under whichever name and learning what her attributes are for you. Maybe she'll pick a name in time.

And like Sobekemiti says, probably pick up the statue (or one like it) when you can afford it, if it spoke to you that much.

I definitely think I'll do that - picking up the statue - later. I'll have to wait for pay day (ugh). However, while I have your attention, what are some attributes She has shown you through your work?
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 07:40:49 pm »
However, while I have your attention, what are some attributes She has shown you through your work?

I haven't specifically worked with Artemis; she's just come up now and again on the periphery of my Dionysian stuff, mainly through Apollo. So I don't really have any personal experience with her.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 07:43:02 pm »
I haven't specifically worked with Artemis; she's just come up now and again on the periphery of my Dionysian stuff, mainly through Apollo. So I don't really have any personal experience with her.

Ah, my apologies - I misunderstood. I'll PM you about Dionysis/Bacchus - I'd love your advice on Him.

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 04:12:13 am »

It might just take a while to adjust to this communication. I think I have similar problems everytime a new deity is there. First I'm feeling like I just had an interesting chat with a random person on the street and then I think I should have asked for their name and phone number.

It was there that we saw some amazing statues of different deities from different pantheons - Greco-Roman, Egyptian, and many African pantheons. One in particular was of a young woman with her arrow drawn in her bow, accompanied by a wolf (or dog - unsure).
To me that sounds more like Diana, but as others have mentioned they have a lot of similarities and different aspects. Artemis was the first deity I came in contact with and it helped me a lot to research the myths about her. I found out about the different epitheta and attributes and could tell which one resonates mostly with me. She's also related to Selene and Hekate.

I printed out everything I found on this site:
http://www.theoi.com/Olympios/Artemis.html
bound it together and read through it like a book. The material from this site is very good, they quote the sources in English and I got a good overview about the different variations on Artemis.

It also helps to look at different statues and pictures and look which ones resonate mostly with you.

Tags: