Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: Apollo  (Read 1913 times)

Geroth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Apollo
« on: January 10, 2019, 06:21:46 am »
Does anybody honour or has worked with Apollo in the past? If so, what is his personality like?

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
Re: Apollo
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 11:44:10 pm »
Does anybody honour or has worked with Apollo in the past? If so, what is his personality like?

I work closely with Dionysos, who for me is inextricably tied to Apollo in complicated ways. I rarely directly work with Apollo, but I do honor him occasionally, and I have formed a fairly clear picture of some facets of his personality, albeit through my particular lens. I'm admittedly not used to actually describing gods by personality, but I'll give it a shot.

In my experience working adjacent to him, the Power we know as "Apollo" is a poetic sort, prone to melancholy flights of emotion over everything from deep heartbreak and loss to minor setbacks in romance. In other words, he's an angsty artistic soul. He's also earnestly compassionate in his role as a healer-god, and as a result he is (when not being wrathful and impetuous, anyway) deeply inclined towards fair and just treatment of all living things.

Part of his nature is caught in the concept of idealized youthful maleness, so he's forever both childlike and childish. At his worst he acts like an arrogant princeling caught up in his own vanities and petty affairs; at his best he looks upon the cosmos around him with eternally innocent eyes and composes songs to its wonders. He also seems to have a youth's persistent curiosity and the intellectual dedication of a young prodigy. This most likely ties into his association with both the arts and the sciences.

There are, of course, still a lot of aspects of Apollo I'm in the dark about. But that's about what I've gathered so far, via both research and personal gnosis.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Tags: