collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: According to myth who do you think would be the heirs to the Olympian Throne  (Read 1348 times)

Fionnbharr

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2013
  • Posts: 221
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
So if you look through Greek Mythology who would you think would be the heirs (both male and female) to the Olympian Throne? and why do you think so?
Grief and sorrow grows on the far banks of the river Styx, go there and visit them and you might not find your own way back home. - Achilles

Elani Temperance

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Posts: 446
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
Quote from: Fionnbharr;119875
So if you look through Greek Mythology who would you think would be the heirs (both male and female) to the Olympian Throne? and why do you think so?

I'm sorry, I don't think I understand the question. Heirs? ...to the Olympians? Throne? ...singular? Maybe I missed something in Tapatalk translation, though.
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

Fionnbharr

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2013
  • Posts: 221
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: Elani Temperance;119876
I'm sorry, I don't think I understand the question. Heirs? ...to the Olympians? Throne? ...singular? Maybe I missed something in Tapatalk translation, though.

 
When looking at myth the understanding (if I am getting it right) is that Zeus and Hera is sitting on the Throne of Olympus. My question is who people think is their heirs according to myths... though I would also love to hear peoples personal gnosis.
Grief and sorrow grows on the far banks of the river Styx, go there and visit them and you might not find your own way back home. - Achilles

Nyktipolos

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • *
  • Posts: 1498
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Quote from: Fionnbharr;119875
So if you look through Greek Mythology who would you think would be the heirs (both male and female) to the Olympian Throne? and why do you think so?

 
Well, Zagreus-Dionysos, clearly. I suspect Athene would be a close second, but it's unlikely they'd rule together.

Although to be fair I also don't really care, because it's unlikely humanity will even be as we are now when there is a 'change of authority', if at all.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Darkhawk

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 4903
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 791
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
Quote from: Nyktipolos;119881
Although to be fair I also don't really care, because it's unlikely humanity will even be as we are now when there is a 'change of authority', if at all.

 
Given that a) the Olympians are known as the Deathless Ones, and b) the whole thing with Metis being prophecied to produce the kid who would displace Zeus if her child was a boy, it seems rather unlikely to come up.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Elani Temperance

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Posts: 446
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
Quote from: Darkhawk;119883
Given that a) the Olympians are known as the Deathless Ones, and b) the whole thing with Metis being prophecied to produce the kid who would displace Zeus if her child was a boy, it seems rather unlikely to come up.

Thanks for explaining the question further :-) Darkhawk's reply quoted above would be my answer as well: as Deathless Gods, there is no 'heir', as such. Zeus could be overthrown--and according to myth, the other Gods tried to no avail--but the child who could succeed was to be a boy from Metis' womb... And Zeus swallowed Her before that could happen.

As a 'fun and games' answer, though, I would say Athena and Hephaestos, as both are wise and relatively even tempered.
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10195
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 261
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Quote from: Elani Temperance;119914
Thanks for explaining the question further :-) Darkhawk's reply quoted above would be my answer as well: as Deathless Gods, there is no 'heir', as such. Zeus could be overthrown--and according to myth, the other Gods tried to no avail--but the child who could succeed was to be a boy from Metis' womb... And Zeus swallowed Her before that could happen.

If Zeus were to be overthrown, my guess is it would be by a child not mentioned in the myths. After all, there is no reason to think that Zeus has stopped fathering children.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

Riothamus12

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2013
  • Posts: 354
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 14
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
Quote from: Fionnbharr;119875
So if you look through Greek Mythology who would you think would be the heirs (both male and female) to the Olympian Throne? and why do you think so?

 
Well assuming it were to happen, it would be one of his children in the main twelve deities most likely. Of course the Spartans would have a different opinion than an Athenian or another such group, but I would say Apollo most likely. Though a Spartan would probably contend if such a thing were to happen, if Zeus were to cede his throne to another more martial deity.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Nyktipolos

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • *
  • Posts: 1498
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Quote from: Riothamus12;119955
Well assuming it were to happen, it would be one of his children in the main twelve deities most likely. Of course the Spartans would have a different opinion than an Athenian or another such group, but I would say Apollo most likely. Though a Spartan would probably contend if such a thing were to happen, if Zeus were to cede his throne to another more martial deity.

 
I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but there is no "main twelve" for all the Greek city states; Athens is the grouping most are familiar with, mind you, and I guess you were implying that by your inclusion of the Spartans? But every city-state had their own primary gods, and they varied from city-state to city-state.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Riothamus12

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2013
  • Posts: 354
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 14
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
Quote from: Nyktipolos;119975
I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but there is no "main twelve" for all the Greek city states; Athens is the grouping most are familiar with, mind you, and I guess you were implying that by your inclusion of the Spartans? But every city-state had their own primary gods, and they varied from city-state to city-state.

 
Well I have yet to hear of any other arrangement.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

drekfletch

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: New England. On Winnipesaukee, to be more specific
  • Posts: 315
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
Quote from: Riothamus12;119980
Well I have yet to hear of any other arrangement.

 
I think my source was Burkert's Greek Religion, but in the city of Olympia the 12 included Heracles and Acheloos.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Nyktipolos

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • *
  • Posts: 1498
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Quote from: drekfletch;120079
I think my source was Burkert's Greek Religion, but in the city of Olympia the 12 included Heracles and Acheloos.

 
Mine is as well, drekfletch. The emphasis is more on that there is a 'council' of 12, and the names vary by city-state (f'ex, I would not be surprised if Eros was on that council in Boiotia). However, because Athenian state religion is the one that is the most complete in terms of information that has come down to us, it is often assumed that what happened in Athens was the status quo for the rest of ancient Greece, but that's not the case. While there definitely many similarities, each city-state varied depending on their myths, festivals, and primary gods.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
1094 Views
Last post June 11, 2012, 08:01:25 am
by Stardancer
18 Replies
1262 Views
Last post February 08, 2013, 08:44:29 pm
by Kimberly
14 Replies
4880 Views
Last post November 20, 2013, 03:48:42 am
by Bear-craft
4 Replies
2837 Views
Last post December 31, 2014, 07:13:37 am
by Chatelaine
10 Replies
916 Views
Last post September 26, 2018, 12:45:14 pm
by Hippie-Witch

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 32
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall