collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: "Skald crow, raven" = Morrigan or someone else?  (Read 2870 times)

garlicandmint

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
"Skald crow, raven" = Morrigan or someone else?
« on: March 24, 2012, 02:27:32 pm »
I saw there's a Morrigan thread already but I'm not 100% that it is her so I didn't want to threadjack with my dream. :confused:

I had a really odd dream about pulling someone out of a river (?) during a storm and the whole time I was saying to them: "It's her, this is her, the skald crow, the raven" and I knew we were surrounded by whatever I was talking about, but at the same time, we felt it was something like a lesson or a test rather than an attack? We weren't afraid in the dream.

Google brings up the Morrigan, which is very strange to me because although my heritage has some Irish in it I tend to be firmly Mediterranean in my personal pantheon. Another strange thing is the term "skald crow" itself- I don't know where I've heard it before to have it end up in my dream, since I had no idea what it was.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Re: "Skald crow, raven" = Morrigan or someone else?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 03:00:23 pm »
Quote from: garlicandmint;47145
I saw there's a Morrigan thread already but I'm not 100% that it is her so I didn't want to threadjack with my dream. :confused:

I had a really odd dream about pulling someone out of a river (?) during a storm and the whole time I was saying to them: "It's her, this is her, the skald crow, the raven" and I knew we were surrounded by whatever I was talking about, but at the same time, we felt it was something like a lesson or a test rather than an attack? We weren't afraid in the dream.

Google brings up the Morrigan, which is very strange to me because although my heritage has some Irish in it I tend to be firmly Mediterranean in my personal pantheon. Another strange thing is the term "skald crow" itself- I don't know where I've heard it before to have it end up in my dream, since I had no idea what it was.

I think it's Badb. For what I know, She was called “scald-crow” or her name meant that.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 03:52:22 pm »

As SkySamuelle mentioned, Badb's name means "crow", and she is typically associated with the hooded crow, also called the scald-crow. Badb is a battle goddess, who is strongly associated with the Morrigan.

The Morrigan is a complicated entity; the little we have of pre-Christian mythology in Ireland makes it unclear if the Morrigan is an individual, an individual in triplicate (as Brighid is sometimes described), one of a number of sisters with the title the Morrigan, or one of a number of sisters with the title the Morrigu or Morrigna. In any case, Badb, along with Fea, Nemain, and Macha, all have ties to the Morrigan.

That your dream included a river does indicate (to me, anyway) that you're looking in the right direction- the Morrigan is called the Washer at the Ford, where she washes the clothes of warriors fated to die. She also had sex with the Dagda with one foot on either side of a river, before the Battle of Mag Tuired.

I can't say for certain who you're dealing with, but my impression is Badb as a member of the Morrigna, from the crow- I personally associate ravens with the Morrigan. But that's just me. Good luck!
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Raincloud

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 02:59:28 am »

Read some myths about the Morrigan. She's all about rivers and testing people :)

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 03:25:37 am »

To me, scald crow refers to Cathubodua, who is also a battle Goddess. She is commonly confused with Badb.
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 11:49:19 am »
Quote from: Dark Midnight;47445
To me, scald crow refers to Cathubodua, who is also a battle Goddess. She is commonly confused with Badb.

FWIW, when I saw "scald crow" in your title, I thought first of Cathubodua.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags: