collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Naming Children After the Gods?  (Read 9574 times)

Melamphoros

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2744
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Naming Children After the Gods?
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2012, 05:13:48 pm »
Quote from: sailor;46997
Fanny is a perfectly normal American name, from the 1910s or earlier.

 
And now it's slang for one's rear end.  Although I guess that's innocuous compared to what it's slang for in the UK.


Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Valentine

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 936
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 79
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Naming Children After the Gods?
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2012, 05:38:43 pm »
Quote from: sailor;46997
Fanny is a perfectly normal American name, from the 1910s or earlier.

 
I am aware of that.  It was my great-grandmother's, though as an Americanized nickname for Faygelah, rather than the usual Frances, which is why my father wanted it.  It is not, however, a perfectly normal American name from, to pick a relevant time period, the 1980s or later, especially now that it is firmly in the slang lexicon as referring to either the posterior or a particular sort of ladies' private business.  It combines the perfectly-normal-but-many-decades-out-of-date-ness of, say, Ermintrude or Hortense, with the potential of being identified with vulgar slang for vulva, for a lifetime.  (We'll leave aside that "Faygelah" is slang, too, in Yiddish, for a femmey/bottomy queer man.  Yes, Dad, I know it means "little bird," that's nice.)

To be fair, if I hadn't dodged that bullet, I'd probably have insistently gone by "Faye" or "Birdie" or something, but still.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

spoOk

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 411
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Naming Children After the Gods?
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2012, 08:46:13 pm »
Quote from: Valentine;47007
I am aware of that.  It was my great-grandmother's, though as an Americanized nickname for Faygelah, rather than the usual Frances, which is why my father wanted it.  It is not, however, a perfectly normal American name from, to pick a relevant time period, the 1980s or later, especially now that it is firmly in the slang lexicon as referring to either the posterior or a particular sort of ladies' private business.  It combines the perfectly-normal-but-many-decades-out-of-date-ness of, say, Ermintrude or Hortense, with the potential of being identified with vulgar slang for vulva, for a lifetime.  (We'll leave aside that "Faygelah" is slang, too, in Yiddish, for a femmey/bottomy queer man.  Yes, Dad, I know it means "little bird," that's nice.)

To be fair, if I hadn't dodged that bullet, I'd probably have insistently gone by "Faye" or "Birdie" or something, but still.

 
speaking if that I went to high school with a kid called binti,which is apparently some form of east Indian language and is technically a girls name meaning little bird. he was a weird kid,but I don't ever recall him being mocked due to his name.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Valentine

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 936
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 79
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Naming Children After the Gods?
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2012, 10:35:45 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;47036
speaking if that I went to high school with a kid called binti,which is apparently some form of east Indian language and is technically a girls name meaning little bird. he was a weird kid,but I don't ever recall him being mocked due to his name.

 
Your posts in this thread make me curious:  where on Earth did you go to high school?


Also, regarding all the talk of bullying, etc.  I don't know.  I got a lot more shit for being brown and queer than I'd have gotten for any name I was wearing, and when I worry about putting my children in painful situations, I'm more worried about imposing things like gender binaries on them than names.  But that's my perspective.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

spoOk

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 411
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Naming Children After the Gods?
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2012, 02:23:01 am »
Quote from: Valentine;47042
Your posts in this thread make me curious:  where on Earth did you go to high school?


Also, regarding all the talk of bullying, etc.  I don't know.  I got a lot more shit for being brown and queer than I'd have gotten for any name I was wearing, and when I worry about putting my children in painful situations, I'm more worried about imposing things like gender binaries on them than names.  But that's my perspective.

 
b.c. Canada
lol
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Sharysa

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 471
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Naming Children After the Gods?
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2012, 02:55:48 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;47036
speaking if that I went to high school with a kid called binti, which is apparently some form of east Indian language and is technically a girls name meaning little bird. he was a weird kid,but I don't ever recall him being mocked due to his name.

Point of interest: "Binti" would be a VERY cruel name in the Philippines or among the Filipino diaspora. It's not even a name; it just means "leg" in Tagalog. I saw it and had a knee-jerk "How much medication did his mother get, and why didn't anyone stop her?!"
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 02:56:16 pm by Sharysa »
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

mandrina

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 890
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Naming Children After the Gods?
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2012, 03:31:36 pm »
Quote from: Sharysa;47391
Point of interest: "Binti" would be a VERY cruel name in the Philippines or among the Filipino diaspora. It's not even a name; it just means "leg" in Tagalog. I saw it and had a knee-jerk "How much medication did his mother get, and why didn't anyone stop her?!"

 

Fior the same reason my next door neighbor named her sons Harsh and Shrill.  In Hindi, the mean something else.  But in English, it looks funny.

On the other hand I have a friend (american white anglosaxon former catholic) who named her sons Pierce and Lance.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Sharysa

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 471
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Naming Children After the Gods?
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2012, 10:53:26 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;47394
For the same reason my next door neighbor named her sons Harsh and Shrill.  In Hindi, the mean something else.  But in English, it looks funny.

On the other hand I have a friend (american white anglosaxon former catholic) who named her sons Pierce and Lance.

 
But Pierce and Lance are generally regarded as good (boy) names, being masculine and related to strength/weaponry.
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

Melamphoros

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2744
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Naming Children After the Gods?
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2012, 11:02:40 pm »
Quote from: Sharysa;47433
But Pierce and Lance are generally regarded as good (boy) names, being masculine and related to strength/weaponry.

 
Given that the most famous person associated with the name "Lance" was in a boy band, I question the masculinity of it.


Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

fireface

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Mar 2012
  • Posts: 27
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Naming Children After the Gods?
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2012, 11:05:37 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;47435
Given that the most famous person associated with the name "Lance" was in a boy band, I question the masculinity of it.

Lance Armstrong?

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2463
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 167
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Naming Children After the Gods?
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2012, 11:53:51 pm »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;46152
Many Catholics name their children after saints they admire, but the saints are held up as role models for believers in a way that deities aren't. I should also note that while it would seem odd to North Americans to name a child "Jesus", it's actually pretty common in Latin America.....


And it's pronounced hey-Zeus.  Just sayin'.
This is pretty culture-specific; Latin Catholics in the US still name their boys Jesus and girls Maria.  Anglo Protestants use Mary (though probably not with the same associations) but would never name a boy after the Savior.  What is OK in one culture will get you funny looks in another.  

When naming children (we have two) I found it necessary to exercise some common sense.  For my son I originally looked at strong Celtic names, but their spelling and pronunciation are buggy if you're not used to them-- not a problem if you're in Ireland or Wales perhaps, but in Southern California it's gonna be an issue.  My wife and I didn't want to give him too 'exotic' a name... if we thought the name was cool but worried that it might get him into a fight later, it was off the list.  

Outside of cultural or lingustic boundaries, the question for me is not could you? but should you?  
Are little Irish girls being named after the Morrígan (and no, not Morgan-- that's Welsh) and if not, why not?
And are you helping your child or hindering him by naming him after divinity?
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

mandrina

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 890
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Naming Children After the Gods?
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2012, 04:56:36 am »
Quote from: Sharysa;47433
But Pierce and Lance are generally regarded as good (boy) names, being masculine and related to strength/weaponry.

 
Lance happens to have been born during our group's Beltaine ritual. We had a maypole. ......  (she skipped the ritual)
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
20 Replies
2798 Views
Last post June 13, 2014, 01:07:16 pm
by Jack
10 Replies
1568 Views
Last post August 24, 2012, 03:36:27 pm
by monsnoleedra
20 Replies
4930 Views
Last post December 11, 2014, 10:01:22 am
by Redfaery
28 Replies
2851 Views
Last post February 05, 2016, 05:54:37 pm
by RecycledBenedict
27 Replies
1359 Views
Last post October 06, 2018, 06:28:55 am
by Micheál

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 32
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall