Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: So Do I!  (Read 7863 times)

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
So Do I!
« on: December 21, 2019, 08:59:39 am »
In honor of this year's UAN non-theme of Connections,  let's play a game that's all about finding our common connections.

How to play:
I'll start the game in a separate post by giving a fact about myself.
The next person will respond based on whether the fact also applies to them:
  • If the fact applies, they'll post "So do I!" (or similar positive response) and then post a random fact about themselves.
  • If the fact does not apply,  the responder is encouraged to make a non-negative comment about the fact and then provide a related fact that does apply to them.
The game continues with posters responding to the most recent post.  You can also comment on previous posts, but do be sure to include a response to the most recent post to keep the game on track.

Ready? Set? Here we go!

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: So Do I!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 09:04:43 am »
Ready? Set? Here we go!

I'll get this party started:

I have travelled to Ireland.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 09:27:10 am »
I'll get this party started:

I have travelled to Ireland.

I haven't but I nearly did once. My dad asked me where I wanted to go for a holiday and I said Ireland. We ended up going to Iceland instead...
I hear Ireland is amazing and would still love to go one day. Iceland was also amazing and I'd recomend it for anyone wanting to go there.

(I can lose myself watching life in a pond or stream for hours ( Don't reply to this fact, reply to the other fact - see below.)) ..

Edit to add. Just saw mine has to be a related fact so.. I have been to Iceland
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 09:32:31 am by Anon100 »

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 09:58:26 am »
I have been to Iceland

So have I! Twice: the first time in October, the second about a week after the summer solstice...so it never got dark. The sun would dip below the horizon at about 2 AM, the sky would get a little bit twilight, and then the sun was rising again at 4 AM. I'd never experienced that before; it was amazing, as is the landscape of this strange land.

I'm certain Iceland is the location of one of what I consider the five sacred elemental sites of the world...but I have yet to find the exact location of this sacred site. I hope to go back, this time for winter solstice (UAN from Reykjavik--a *very* long night!), both to renew the search for this site, and to perhaps finally see the northern lights, which is on my bucket list. Maybe as soon as next year? I'd like to do it once their new pagan temple is open, but in that case I may be waiting forever.

On my second trip to Iceland, I saw something phenomenal: A pair of Blue Whales, the largest animals that have ever lived on the planet, surfaced beside our whale-watching boat and did a synchronized swim next to us for a minute or two before diving. Beyond cool!

Which brings me to my addition: I enjoy watching whales.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 10:20:39 am »
Which brings me to my addition: I enjoy watching whales.
I think I would if I ever had a chance to do so.  Ditto to Iceland. It's very high on my bucket list.

Marine related addition: I love sailing on tall ships.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 06:33:48 pm »
I think I would if I ever had a chance to do so.  Ditto to Iceland. It's very high on my bucket list.

Marine related addition: I love sailing on tall ships.

I never have sailed on a tall ship, but I'd like to.

I've set foot in Iceland, but only on a lay-over on the way to New England.  (And I had a somewhat disastrous weekend break in Ireland, in Dublin, for my 30th birthday).

My addition - I've a Live Action Role Play character who is descended from pirates (I'm sorry, that's not terribly interesting but it's the only vaguely marine related fact about me that I could think of!)

Edit to correct typo
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 06:47:53 pm »
I never have sailed on a tall ship, but I'd like to.

I've set foot in Iceland, but only on a lay-over on the way to New England.  (And I had a somewhat disastrous weekend break in Ireland, in Dublin, for my 30th birthday).

My addition - I've a Live Action Role Play character who is descended from pirates (I'm sorry, that's not terribly interesting but it's the only vaguely marine related fact about me that I could think of!)

Edit to correct typo

I don't but I grew up enjoying creating adventures for AD&D and even now weave together modules to form great adventures when I feel low or alone. My problem is I love to create and imagine the most amazing scenarios so the idea of playing AD&D and watching all those creations destroyed is hard for me..

In regards Iceland, I can well believe it being the center of some firy elemental force. Seeing the greenhouses they heat using thermal vents and the geysers were both amazing memories.

I once started writing a story where a pirate would have left behind a magic Chinese puzzle box

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 07:00:08 pm »
I don't but I grew up enjoying creating adventures for AD&D and even now weave together modules to form great adventures when I feel low or alone. My problem is I love to create and imagine the most amazing scenarios so the idea of playing AD&D and watching all those creations destroyed is hard for me..

In regards Iceland, I can well believe it being the center of some firy elemental force. Seeing the greenhouses they heat using thermal vents and the geysers were both amazing memories.

I once started writing a story where a pirate would have left behind a magic Chinese puzzle box

I haven't started writing a story where a pirate would have left behind a magic Chinese puzzle box, but I can imagine reading such a thing. (And speaking of pirates, if you've never read this homophobic post and the awesome series of replies--read them all, they just keep getting better and building on each other--drop everything and do it now.)

If I'm not misunderstanding the rules, if you can't confirm the statement yourself, you can go in a completely different direction; you don't have to stay with any one theme. So taking a different tack:

I love the sun and warm weather, and can't stand winter; the short days, the cold, snow, and trees without leaves standing like skeletons make me mopey!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 07:14:51 pm »
I love the sun and warm weather, and can't stand winter; the short days, the cold, snow, and trees without leaves standing like skeletons make me mopey!

Not me! I love winter. It does some messy things to my body and brain, but it’s when I feel like the world is at its most magical. Especially with all the light around at this time of year. As long as it’s not raining - as it feels like it has been all winter so far. British winters aren’t always what I wish they were!

Related fact: I have lived in New York State, where it snowed multiple times that winter and I had a glorious time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 07:59:41 pm »
Related fact: I have lived in New York State, where it snowed multiple times that winter and I had a glorious time.

I haven't lived in New York but I have resided in areas where winter is a thing. I like snow when I can play in it but hate driving in it.

Related fact:  I have visited upstate New York in summer.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 08:03:28 pm »
I haven't lived in New York but I have resided in areas where winter is a thing. I like snow when I can play in it but hate driving in it.

Related fact:  I have visited upstate New York in summer.

I haven't visited New York or the US at all but I always imagined it to be an amazing but fast paced place.

I have, however, visited York ( and a lovely place it was )

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 08:06:47 pm »
I haven't visited New York or the US at all but I always imagined it to be an amazing but fast paced place.

I have, however, visited York ( and a lovely place it was )

So have I (visited York) though I don't remember much of it.

Regards the pace of life in the US, it depends on whereabouts - I've been to both New York City and 4 other states in New England.

My addition:  I vacationed in Wales many times as a child.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Wanderer894

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Ignostic Pagan/Way of the Dragonfly
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 08:56:45 pm »
So have I (visited York) though I don't remember much of it.

Regards the pace of life in the US, it depends on whereabouts - I've been to both New York City and 4 other states in New England.

My addition:  I vacationed in Wales many times as a child.

I visited Wales in the summer of 2017. I only got to see Chepstow and some of the countryside during a taxi ride to St. Briavels, but the people I met were cool and the scenery is beautiful.

Related fact: The only part of the now-crumbling UK I haven't visited is Scotland.
I love a good metallurgical take on the phrase "What the F---?"

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 09:35:16 pm »
I visited Wales in the summer of 2017. I only got to see Chepstow and some of the countryside during a taxi ride to St. Briavels, but the people I met were cool and the scenery is beautiful.

Related fact: The only part of the now-crumbling UK I haven't visited is Scotland.

I haven't visited Scotland either! But I'd very much like to.

My unrelated addition: I can identify nearly any of the original Star Trek episodes within the first minute.

TsundokuTeaTime

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Left Hand Path with a dash of Polytheism
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 10:25:03 pm »
My unrelated addition: I can identify nearly any of the original Star Trek episodes within the first minute.

Same! Almost there with TNG and Voyager.

Related fact: I am trying to learn Klingon.
“It is not necessary for the public to know whether I am joking or whether I am serious, just as it is not necessary for me to know it myself." ~Salvador Dali

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 191
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal