Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: L.A. Noire  (Read 4764 times)

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
L.A. Noire
« on: July 05, 2011, 01:37:30 am »
Quote from: From Wikipedia
[L.A. Noire] takes place in 1947 Los Angeles, a city of glamour, fame, and wealth, but also where crime, vice, and corruption are rife. The player assumes the role of LAPD Police Officer and later Detective Cole Phelps. The game starts with Phelps as a uniformed patrolman, and follows his career as he advances through the police departments bureaus of Traffic, Homicide, Vice, and finally Arson. Each new desk gives the player a new partner who will help Phelps in his investigations.

So, has anyone else played it yet? Where are you in the game? Have you finished it yet? What's your favourite case? Whose you're favourite character? What did you like or not like about the game?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:46:23 am by Nyktipolos »
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Adele

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: L.A. Noire
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:06:15 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;1185
So, has anyone else played it yet? Where are you in the game? Have you finished it yet? What's your favourite case? Whose you're favourite character? What did you like or not like about the game?

I'm not playing it but I'm watching someone else play it. We are mostly through the Homicide cases. I don't have a favorite characters so much as I'm really enjoying seeing all of the character actors they used for the game. Totally cool.

Trying to read the suspects on the other hand, is a complete pain in the butt. Some are super easy, some are completely opposite of what you'd expect. It is a really neat game idea and all the attention to detail is amazing.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 08:32:34 pm »
Quote from: Adele;3708
I'm not playing it but I'm watching someone else play it. We are mostly through the Homicide cases. I don't have a favorite characters so much as I'm really enjoying seeing all of the character actors they used for the game. Totally cool.

Trying to read the suspects on the other hand, is a complete pain in the butt. Some are super easy, some are completely opposite of what you'd expect. It is a really neat game idea and all the attention to detail is amazing.

The facial expressions for the characters are amazing. I've seen the behind the scenes things they've done, showing how they had it all set up, and it looks absolutely weird, but when you see it in the game it's just... amazing. :D

And yeah, trying to guess who is lying or not was a big pain of the butt for me too. I resorted to a guide quite often because I got tired of screwing up. :D

The only thing I wish is that it would have been a bit more... open? I mean, it's obvious LA Noire is not an RPG, but I think it could've benefited greatly from having some RPG elements in it to make it a better game. It was just a tad too linear for my tastes when it came to the plot (and characters).
On the Rivers

Adele

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 08:57:20 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;3733

The only thing I wish is that it would have been a bit more... open? I mean, it's obvious LA Noire is not an RPG, but I think it could've benefited greatly from having some RPG elements in it to make it a better game. It was just a tad too linear for my tastes when it came to the plot (and characters).

My significant other and myself can't think of a detective type game with more openness to it. If anything, what comes to mind is even more linear albeit with multiple ending possibilities. (Heavy Rain, which was a fantastic game imho.)

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 09:09:03 pm »
Quote from: Adele;3741
My significant other and myself can't think of a detective type game with more openness to it. If anything, what comes to mind is even more linear albeit with multiple ending possibilities. (Heavy Rain, which was a fantastic game imho.)

Hmm. True, I can't think of any others either. I think LA Noire could've benefited from multiple ending options. I think it certainly could've supported it, in any case.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:09:14 pm by Nyktipolos »
On the Rivers

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 10:43:28 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;1185

This game is on my to-buy list. Unfortunately, my best "console" is my PC, so I have to wait. :(

I read a review where the reviewer was playing it with a friend and they were investigating an arson case. They were looking around the house when the friend's father (a veteran firefighter) stops to examine the scene, and he says: "There, there's the flashpoint." Sure enough, when they brought Phelps to that point, he says" "This must have been where the fire started."

I know it's a small thing, but that attention to detail just blew my mind.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 11:22:11 pm »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;4702
This game is on my to-buy list. Unfortunately, my best "console" is my PC, so I have to wait. :(

I read a review where the reviewer was playing it with a friend and they were investigating an arson case. They were looking around the house when the friend's father (a veteran firefighter) stops to examine the scene, and he says: "There, there's the flashpoint." Sure enough, when they brought Phelps to that point, he says" "This must have been where the fire started."

I know it's a small thing, but that attention to detail just blew my mind.

The attention to detail in the game IS pretty astounding (although I think there is one case where it fails a bit, but that might've been deliberate). If you're able to ever get it, I recommend it. :)

I've read somewhere that it's coming to the PC, just can't remember when. :/
On the Rivers

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 01:12:59 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;4715
I've read somewhere that it's coming to the PC, just can't remember when. :/

In the fall, they say, but that's as specific as Rockstar is getting at this point. I don't mind waiting, though. I'm happy when anything comes onto PC with the state PC gaming is in. The PC section keeps shrinking at all my local GameStops.

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 179
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal