collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Games: Of interest to D&D players, especially old-school ones  (Read 2945 times)

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2463
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 167
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Of interest to D&D players, especially old-school ones
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 05:41:24 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;107033
I consider the upcoming reprint of OD&D to be why over-priced. IMHO, it's aimed at collectors, not people who want to actually play OD&D, which is a shame.

You're being too kind, Randall... it's overpriced as hell.  Amazon's discount makes it more reasonable, especially given the content, and hey, it's an expensive hobby.  I agree that it looks more like a pretty collectors' piece, but I'd play the hell out of it. Would probably steal your technique and put copies in a binder tho.  Still, it's not a realistic buy at the moment... depends on how quickly this job situation gets sorted out.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:42:26 pm by MadZealot »
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2463
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 167
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Of interest to D&D players, especially old-school ones
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 06:21:14 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;107016
Hmm, I suspect this isn't just 'related news' in the topical sense, but that the timing is no accident.


Also no accident that 2e is getting a Premium re-release as well.  Also, the next iteration of the game is being playtested, so we can expect that in 1-2 years.  To me it looks like 4e didn't perform well and they need to make money between now and D&D Next.
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10206
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 267
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Of interest to D&D players, especially old-school ones
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 06:41:36 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;107076
Also no accident that 2e is getting a Premium re-release as well.  Also, the next iteration of the game is being playtested, so we can expect that in 1-2 years.  To me it looks like 4e didn't perform well and they need to make money between now and D&D Next.

What I would really like to see WOTC re-release is the D&D Rules Cyclopedia -- probably the best one volume set of D&D rules ever published. If anything deserves a hardcover premium edition, this does. I have a couple of originals, but thety are getting hasrder to come by for those who don't have them.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2463
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 167
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Of interest to D&D players, especially old-school ones
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 07:00:33 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;107078
What I would really like to see WOTC re-release is the D&D Rules Cyclopedia -- probably the best one volume set of D&D rules ever published. If anything deserves a hardcover premium edition, this does. I have a couple of originals, but thety are getting hasrder to come by for those who don't have them.


I think it'll happen, but not until after the white box and all the single reissues are done.  
In the meantime, Amazon has used copies for about $35.  Not a terrible price.
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

stephyjh

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1597
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Of interest to D&D players, especially old-school ones
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 07:11:44 pm »
Quote from: Thorn;106911
As cool as the digital copies are, I'm WAY more excited about a re-release of 1st edition in hard cover.  I love 1ed!!!  We'd still be playing that version if we could convince the young 'uns it was worth finding the source books...

(My husband still has his well-loved original D&D booklets from the 70's and many of the dice that came with them.  No box, though...)

My dad had all the 1ed books until just before he moved out of his mom's house. She found them, declared them devil worship, and burned them.

...Yeah.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

SunflowerP

  • Host
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Calgary AB
  • Posts: 8577
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 309
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Of interest to D&D players, especially old-school ones
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 12:15:10 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;107050
I'd say it still counts as an archive: it's a collection of historical material that was gathered (it looks like the intent is to have all the material eventually digitized and so there is no longer a high cost/physical material restriction on purchasing it), preserved, while also being put into a format that allows others to access. While you do have to pay for some, some archives don't allow public access, or if you want to take a copy of things, you have to pay a small fee (usually I think to cover copying costs, or copyright issues).

But that's just my opinion. :ange:

Your opinion is a sound one - unsurprising, since it's a professional opinion!

I'm tempted to say that I'm used to online digital archives being accessible for free... except then I remember that's only true of some kinds of archive, a notable exception being that quite a lot of scholarly journals keep their online archives behind paywalls still. High paywalls.  (Though I'm heartened by the steadily-growing ranks of open-access journals, both new ones starting out OA, and older ones shifting their access models.)

Similarly, that rebuts the 'but this is a for-profit endeavor' argument.

So, really, I'm just not used to geek nostalgia being archived in this particular way. But that doesn't make it less of an archive.

Sunflower
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:15:51 am by SunflowerP »
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Jenett

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Boston, MA
  • Posts: 3252
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 770
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Of interest to D&D players, especially old-school ones
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 07:30:35 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;107188
Your opinion is a sound one - unsurprising, since it's a professional opinion!

I'm tempted to say that I'm used to online digital archives being accessible for free... except then I remember that's only true of some kinds of archive, a notable exception being that quite a lot of scholarly journals keep their online archives behind paywalls still. High paywalls.  (Though I'm heartened by the steadily-growing ranks of open-access journals, both new ones starting out OA, and older ones shifting their access models.)

 
One of the things I'm wondering about in this case is what their licensing and epublication agreements were and are, and how that's affecting things.

(Dragon Magazine, involving some of the same people, and I'd be willing to bet some of the same standard agreements, was one of the early places to get extensive and protracted legal wrangling about what's owed to contributors who did work, got paid, but where electronic rights were not negotiated at that time - generally, because no one saw the rise of epublication coming in the 70s, 80s, or even early 90s.)

I haven't dug into it in this case (because other things on my plate this week) but it wouldn't surprise me at all if making it available online had some substantial licensing/permissions costs associated with it, anyway.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

SunflowerP

  • Host
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Calgary AB
  • Posts: 8577
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 309
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Of interest to D&D players, especially old-school ones
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 12:40:23 am »
Quote from: Jenett;107197
One of the things I'm wondering about in this case is what their licensing and epublication agreements were and are, and how that's affecting things.

(Dragon Magazine, involving some of the same people, and I'd be willing to bet some of the same standard agreements, was one of the early places to get extensive and protracted legal wrangling about what's owed to contributors who did work, got paid, but where electronic rights were not negotiated at that time - generally, because no one saw the rise of epublication coming in the 70s, 80s, or even early 90s.)

I haven't dug into it in this case (because other things on my plate this week) but it wouldn't surprise me at all if making it available online had some substantial licensing/permissions costs associated with it, anyway.

 
Yes, that right there means that any archival resource of D&D manuals/modules can't be free. (Pre-3.x, anyway.)  And speaks strongly to what I said earlier about the prices seeming a bit high - I hadn't thought about that aspect, and in light of it, I retract it and say that they seem pretty reasonable.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2463
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 167
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Of interest to D&D players, especially old-school ones
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 01:02:47 am »
Quote from: Jenett;107197
One of the things I'm wondering about in this case is what their licensing and epublication agreements were and are, and how that's affecting things.

 
I just peeped into the Deities and Demigods .pdf, and it's the later edition, with the Lovecraftian and Melnibonean chapters removed.  
Bummer.
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10206
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 267
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Of interest to D&D players, especially old-school ones
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 07:56:17 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;107512
I just peeped into the Deities and Demigods .pdf, and it's the later edition, with the Lovecraftian and Melnibonean chapters removed.  
Bummer.

The sad thing is they never needed to be removed. Chaosium simply wanted acknowledgement, the Blume brothers who were running TSR at the time are said to have not wanted a "competitor" mentioned in their products.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2463
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 167
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Of interest to D&D players, especially old-school ones
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 01:31:57 am »
Quote from: RandallS;107536
The sad thing is they never needed to be removed. Chaosium simply wanted acknowledgement, the Blume brothers who were running TSR at the time are said to have not wanted a "competitor" mentioned in their products.

Makes me wish even more that I still had a copy.  That and Oriental Adventures.  Never used either book, but I sure loved 'em.
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10206
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 267
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Of interest to D&D players, especially old-school ones
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 07:54:57 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;107663
Makes me wish even more that I still had a copy.  That and Oriental Adventures.  Never used either book, but I sure loved 'em.

While Deities and Demi-Gods with the Lovecraft and Moorcock stuff is generally expensive, used copies of Oriential Adventures can be cheap -- some under $10 on Amazon.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2463
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 167
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Of interest to D&D players, especially old-school ones
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 11:23:53 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;107682
...


More geek news.  Warner Bros has acquired the rights to make a new D&D movie.  Since fantasy films have proven to be popular (and lucrative) in recent years, here's hoping the studio will put time, money, and talent into a good piece of work.
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10206
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 267
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Of interest to D&D players, especially old-school ones
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 07:43:56 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;108022
More geek news.  Warner Bros has acquired the rights to make a new D&D movie.  Since fantasy films have proven to be popular (and lucrative) in recent years, here's hoping the studio will put time, money, and talent into a good piece of work.

It wouldn't take much time, money, and talent to beat the previous awful D&D movies.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
948 Views
Last post July 06, 2012, 07:41:26 am
by Amethyst
3 Replies
591 Views
Last post June 24, 2014, 08:22:41 am
by Izzie414
2 Replies
955 Views
Last post June 22, 2014, 01:15:48 am
by EclecticWheel
2 Replies
2319 Views
Last post January 29, 2017, 10:43:58 am
by Vixen
1 Replies
3490 Views
Last post January 01, 2017, 05:28:48 pm
by Jenett

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 44
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall