Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Food: Your favourite wine  (Read 28220 times)

Ghost235

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Your favourite wine
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 09:27:00 am »
Quote from: Larix;164032
As there is a thread asking about your favourite beer, I now open a thread about favourite wines.

And what do you like? :)

I like wines that are either extremely sweet or extremely dry.  Ice wines, fruit wines from the New York state area for the sweet and bordeauxs for the dry.

In regards to the dry, I call what I like "punchy", meaning that it has not only a dry flavor but also very strong and bracing.  

At least I don't use the descriptor "fresh cut garden hose", with apologies to the movie Somme.

Larix

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 04:45:07 pm »
Quote from: Ghost235;165230

At least I don't use the descriptor "fresh cut garden hose", with apologies to the movie Somme.

Neither do I!

And who has drunk a good wine lately? :)

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 05:04:14 pm »
Quote from: Larix;202162
Neither do I!

And who has drunk a good wine lately? :)
No one has mentioned moscato... :(

I'm not a wine snob like you guys. I like Cupcake or Barefoot moscato that you can buy in Walmart (at least in the southern US) for like 6 bucks.

My father in law would understand this thread much more than me, but most of the wines I've tried from him are way too dry. I love my sweet wines. Don't judge me.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 05:44:00 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;202164
No one has mentioned moscato... :(

I'm not a wine snob like you guys. I like Cupcake or Barefoot moscato that you can buy in Walmart (at least in the southern US) for like 6 bucks.

My father in law would understand this thread much more than me, but most of the wines I've tried from him are way too dry. I love my sweet wines. Don't judge me.

Barefoot Moscato is my go-to.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 06:35:29 pm »
Quote from: Castus;202165

Barefoot is my go-to, although I tend to go with their Chardonnay or Pinot Noir. Riesling if I want something with a little more oomph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 06:43:24 pm »
Quote from: Castus;202165

I don't think we can get that here (Ontario law is that wine only gets sold at the liquor store. Though we can finally get beer and cider at the supermarket.)

One I've been keeping an eye out for lately is Black Cab - that is, a Cabernet-Baco Noir blend. It's only made by one winery and apparently in small batches because it's hard to find.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 08:03:18 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;202170
I don't think we can get that here (Ontario law is that wine only gets sold at the liquor store. Though we can finally get beer and cider at the supermarket.)

One I've been keeping an eye out for lately is Black Cab - that is, a Cabernet-Baco Noir blend. It's only made by one winery and apparently in small batches because it's hard to find.

I'm part of the sweet/dessert wine bandwagon: Moscato or Riesling. Right now, I've got an individual-size (single serving) bottle of Sutter Home Moscato in the fridge. Mind you, I don't drink very much or very often, so that single serving actually gets stretched to two or three servings for me.
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 10:03:52 pm »
Quote from: victoreia;202179
I'm part of the sweet/dessert wine bandwagon: Moscato or Riesling. Right now, I've got an individual-size (single serving) bottle of Sutter Home Moscato in the fridge. Mind you, I don't drink very much or very often, so that single serving actually gets stretched to two or three servings for me.

So I love Riesling; the first time I ever bought it was at a farmers market after managing to get accidentally drunk sampling wines at a local vineyard's booth. I had to buy popcorn and water and go sit in my car for like an hour while I sobered up so I could drive home. Yes, I'm an extreme lightweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 01:10:45 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;202170

Alberta maybe isn't a good comparison, since we privatized our liquor stores several years back, but we do still have the 'only at a liquor store' standard (for everything, including beer and cider. But we do have Barefoot wines here. So I wouldn't be surprised if you could find it in Ontario liquor stores. OTOH, I've noticed a certain amount of, hrm, call it 'longitudinal regionality' - we don't see many wines from the Niagara region (either Ontario or NY) or other Eastern US/Canada grape-growing areas here; for North American wines, we mainly get BC/WA/OR/CA ones; possibly the reverse is also true.

(Barefoot, I see from their website, is in California - I provide the link because you might recognize their quite-distinctive label more readily than just the name.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 06:11:27 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;202199
OTOH, I've noticed a certain amount of, hrm, call it 'longitudinal regionality' - we don't see many wines from the Niagara region (either Ontario or NY) or other Eastern US/Canada grape-growing areas here;

That is because it is apparently illegal in Canada to transport wine across provincial borders. I remember seeing a news segment a while back about wine growers trying to get this law repealed, because it is stupid. CBC link, though not the story I was thinking of.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 05:42:05 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;202224
That is because it is apparently illegal in Canada to transport wine across provincial borders. I remember seeing a news segment a while back about wine growers trying to get this law repealed, because it is stupid. CBC link, though not the story I was thinking of.

Yep. It used (as your first link notes) to be much worse, which is why, when we started seeing local independent breweries, like Big Rock here in Calgary, or Granville Island in BC, starting up in the '80s, their products were much more readily available in the US than in Canada outside their home province.

It's quite a bit better now, if you're in a province that has relaxed its interprovincial liquor-importation/exportation laws (and/or done something else about it - ISTR that some provinces have formal trade agreements). But there is still a great deal of Stupid involved, even in provinces that have done so.

Doesn't directly explain why wines from US wine regions tend to follow the same longitudinal lines of availability, but I imagine it's a significant indirect factor.

Been a while since I gave it much thought, so I'm extremely rusty/outdated on details; I appreciate the links!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2017, 06:32:00 am »
I'm not much of a connoisseur. Can't really tell the good stuff from the bad stuff :( but usually get a bottle called McGuigans Black Label because I think it tastes alright and more importantly it's affordable!

There exists an evil tonic wine over here called Buckfast. Having that once is enough!

Quote from: Larix;164032
As there is a thread asking about your favourite beer, I now open a thread about favourite wines.

--------------------

If it comes to red wine, I like Pinot Noir - or "Spätburgunder" in German.

Among the white wines I prefer Riesling and Gewürztraminer. :)

-------------------------

And what do you like? :)
Semper Fidelis

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 12:10:39 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;202312
I'm not much of a connoisseur. Can't really tell the good stuff from the bad stuff :( but usually get a bottle called McGuigans Black Label because I think it tastes alright and more importantly it's affordable!

There exists an evil tonic wine over here called Buckfast. Having that once is enough!

Rats, I've wanted to try Buckfast forever and no one carries it here.

I like sweet red wines. My stepmother introduced me to Mavrodafni, a Greek fortified wine popular for communion and as an aperitif (mixed with very cold water). Cypriot Commandaria is similar, but a bit less sweet. In practice I usually get sangria; Don Simon is the best brand I've tried.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 11:35:54 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;202312

Off topic: Micheál! Glad to see you around again!

On topic: One of the things I figured out while developing my palate is, it doesn't matter how much something is supposed to be 'good stuff'; if the person drinking it doesn't enjoy it, it's not.

Sunflower
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:39:03 pm by SunflowerP »

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2017, 01:50:07 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;202331
Off topic: Micheál! Glad to see you around again!

Seconded!

On topic:

On my one-and-only (so far) trip to Italy about 2 years ago, I fell in love with a local wine called negro amaro (translates as "black" and "bitter"...so yeah, it fits ;) ); apparently it's related to zinfandels, but the strong, bold, tangy kick is out of this world. I only rarely run into them in NY; its close cousin, the primitivo (with slightly less kick) is more readily available, as in it's cheap at any Trader Joe's.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 01:51:01 am by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Tags: