collapse

* Recent Posts

Re: new & uncertain! by anubisa
[Today at 12:50:46 am]


Re: new & uncertain! by PerditaPickle
[January 23, 2021, 07:00:39 pm]


Re: Back pain by Micheál
[January 23, 2021, 06:42:53 am]


Re: Favorite Beer? by Micheál
[January 23, 2021, 06:31:29 am]


new & uncertain! by shoemakerlevy9
[January 22, 2021, 01:36:47 pm]

Author Topic: Good steak recipes?  (Read 1905 times)

KittyVel

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 366
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Good steak recipes?
« on: September 08, 2011, 08:25:03 pm »
So from what I've been able to tell lately, Anpu has very much enjoyed steak.  I'd like to try out some new recipes not only because I love variety, but because I want Him to be able to have lots of tasty food!  (I always offer half of my dinner, unless it's something cheap like hot dogs, burgers, or pizza.  Unless, of course, I get the feeling Anpu or anyone else wants to try it.  lol)  So, who has awesome steak recipes that they would like to share?  :3
<3 Rest in peace, Christiana. I love you so much, and I miss you like crazy already. At least you\'re not hurting anymore...May you ascend. <3

Owl

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 587
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 24
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
Re: Good steak recipes?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 01:54:42 pm »
Quote from: KittyVel;18656
So from what I've been able to tell lately, Anpu has very much enjoyed steak.  I'd like to try out some new recipes not only because I love variety, but because I want Him to be able to have lots of tasty food!  (I always offer half of my dinner, unless it's something cheap like hot dogs, burgers, or pizza.  Unless, of course, I get the feeling Anpu or anyone else wants to try it.  lol)  So, who has awesome steak recipes that they would like to share?  :3


We usually do ours on the bbq (over a wood fire) with butter, alder smoked salt, and pepper.  Sometimes I also make sauteed mushrooms with red wine reduced and put on top (reduced so it's not all running over the plate).
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

KittyVel

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 366
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Good steak recipes?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 01:58:00 pm »
Quote from: Owl;18760
We usually do ours on the bbq (over a wood fire) with butter, alder smoked salt, and pepper.  Sometimes I also make sauteed mushrooms with red wine reduced and put on top (reduced so it's not all running over the plate).

 
Mmm, that sounds delicious!  I'll have to try that.  Unfortunately, we have no place for an open wood fire, so it'd have to be on the gas grill...but I'm sure it would be good nonetheless.  Thank for the suggestion!  :3
<3 Rest in peace, Christiana. I love you so much, and I miss you like crazy already. At least you\'re not hurting anymore...May you ascend. <3

BunnyMaz

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 122
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Good steak recipes?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 04:22:27 pm »
Quote from: KittyVel;18656
So from what I've been able to tell lately, Anpu has very much enjoyed steak.  I'd like to try out some new recipes not only because I love variety, but because I want Him to be able to have lots of tasty food!  (I always offer half of my dinner, unless it's something cheap like hot dogs, burgers, or pizza.  Unless, of course, I get the feeling Anpu or anyone else wants to try it.  lol)  So, who has awesome steak recipes that they would like to share?  :3

 
I like mine as un-fussed as possible.  The best steak IMHO is simply waved vaguely towards the frying pan to scare it a bit and then given just the slightest touch of pepper.  But I do have a couple recipes I like to save for when I'm cooking beef for others.

I have a lovely sort-of sashimi-ish steak dish I prepare.  Thinly slice the very best, leanest steak until it is almost thin enough to see through.  Layer steak slices on a plate, sprinkle with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and bay leaves.  Pound the whole lot with a meat tenderiser, tossing the ingredients about to ensure well covered, and eat uncooked, with a crisp salad (don't eat the bay leaves).  The lemon juice just sears the meat a little.

Or if you're not keen on steak that way, I could find you my recipe for brandy/cream/peppercorn sauce?  It goes lovely on steak whether you prefer it raw or well done.  How is Anpu about alcohol?

***

KittyVel, a mushroom-redwine reduction sounds delicious!  May have to try that myself.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:23:13 pm by BunnyMaz »

KittyVel

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 366
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Good steak recipes?
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 07:07:15 pm »
Quote from: BunnyMaz;18793
Or if you're not keen on steak that way, I could find you my recipe for brandy/cream/peppercorn sauce?  It goes lovely on steak whether you prefer it raw or well done.  How is Anpu about alcohol?

 
Oh, that would be fantastic!  I haven't offered Him alcohol (I'm underage), but I keep getting a feeling He might like to try it.  :3
<3 Rest in peace, Christiana. I love you so much, and I miss you like crazy already. At least you\'re not hurting anymore...May you ascend. <3

BunnyMaz

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 122
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Good steak recipes?
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 08:02:19 pm »
Quote from: KittyVel;18812
Oh, that would be fantastic!  I haven't offered Him alcohol (I'm underage), but I keep getting a feeling He might like to try it.  :3

 
Okidoke :D

This has never failed me yet.  Recipe is for 4 steaks and enough sauce for all.

First thing you want to do is crush a few black peppercorns and rub them into your steaks with a tiny, tiny amount of salt.  Fry the steaks in melted butter (just a little dash) until they are to your preferred doneness.  Place the steaks on a warm, covered plate.  

Using the SAME PAN you cooked the steak, just as it is with butter and meat juices all in it and little flecks of steak stuck to it.  Saute one finely chopped onion in the pan for just a minute.

Splash a decent amount of brandy over the onions(about a  glug, maybe a glug and a swig, which is about a third of a cup)

De-glaze the pan with the brandy (scrape meaty bits off pan and swirl in brandy) and don't worry if it catches fire for just a second.  Pour over this with 200ml of thick double cream (I think Americans call it heavy cream?) and stir, reducing the heat so it doesn't boil. Add to this a bit less than 2 cups of beef stock and boil until it thickens to a nice, rich sauce.

Pour the sauce allllll over the steaks.  MmmmmmmMM!

sugarmagnolia

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 49
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Good steak recipes?
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 08:37:07 pm »
Quote from: KittyVel;18656
So from what I've been able to tell lately, Anpu has very much enjoyed steak.  I'd like to try out some new recipes not only because I love variety, but because I want Him to be able to have lots of tasty food!  (I always offer half of my dinner, unless it's something cheap like hot dogs, burgers, or pizza.  Unless, of course, I get the feeling Anpu or anyone else wants to try it.  lol)  So, who has awesome steak recipes that they would like to share?  :3

 
I like to rub the steak with crushed garlic (or sprinkle it with garlic powder) and freshly ground pepper.  I let it sit on the counter covered while I heat my big cast iron skillet until I can feel the heat about 4-6 inches above the skillet. The skillet will be extremely hot.  Then I put the steak in and sear it on both sides.  

We like ours rare, so this doesn't take hardly any time at all.  Remove the steak then put about 4 tablespoons of real butter in the same skillet along with about a 1/2 an onion, chopped, and as many sliced mushrooms as you want.  Around here, that's around 1 1/2 cups.

Saute the mushrooms and onion until the onion is translucent then stir in about 2 tablespoons of flour, followed by 2 cups of beef broth, wine or a combination of the two.  Reduce the heat and stir the sauce until it's thick and the flour taste is gone.  Serve the steak with the sauce on the side or smothered with it.

KittyVel

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 366
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Good steak recipes?
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 10:49:00 pm »
Quote from: BunnyMaz;18841
Okidoke :D

This has never failed me yet.  Recipe is for 4 steaks and enough sauce for all.

First thing you want to do is crush a few black peppercorns and rub them into your steaks with a tiny, tiny amount of salt.  Fry the steaks in melted butter (just a little dash) until they are to your preferred doneness.  Place the steaks on a warm, covered plate.  

Using the SAME PAN you cooked the steak, just as it is with butter and meat juices all in it and little flecks of steak stuck to it.  Saute one finely chopped onion in the pan for just a minute.

Splash a decent amount of brandy over the onions(about a  glug, maybe a glug and a swig, which is about a third of a cup)

De-glaze the pan with the brandy (scrape meaty bits off pan and swirl in brandy) and don't worry if it catches fire for just a second.  Pour over this with 200ml of thick double cream (I think Americans call it heavy cream?) and stir, reducing the heat so it doesn't boil. Add to this a bit less than 2 cups of beef stock and boil until it thickens to a nice, rich sauce.

Pour the sauce allllll over the steaks.  MmmmmmmMM!

 
Quote from: sugarmagnolia;18845
I like to rub the steak with crushed garlic (or sprinkle it with garlic powder) and freshly ground pepper.  I let it sit on the counter covered while I heat my big cast iron skillet until I can feel the heat about 4-6 inches above the skillet. The skillet will be extremely hot.  Then I put the steak in and sear it on both sides.  

We like ours rare, so this doesn't take hardly any time at all.  Remove the steak then put about 4 tablespoons of real butter in the same skillet along with about a 1/2 an onion, chopped, and as many sliced mushrooms as you want.  Around here, that's around 1 1/2 cups.

Saute the mushrooms and onion until the onion is translucent then stir in about 2 tablespoons of flour, followed by 2 cups of beef broth, wine or a combination of the two.  Reduce the heat and stir the sauce until it's thick and the flour taste is gone.  Serve the steak with the sauce on the side or smothered with it.

 
Both of these sound soooo good!  I'll certainly try them one of these days!  Thank you both!  X3
<3 Rest in peace, Christiana. I love you so much, and I miss you like crazy already. At least you\'re not hurting anymore...May you ascend. <3

LeaLynne

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Sep 2011
  • Posts: 48
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Good steak recipes?
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 12:54:46 am »
Quote from: KittyVel;18656
So from what I've been able to tell lately, Anpu has very much enjoyed steak.  I'd like to try out some new recipes not only because I love variety, but because I want Him to be able to have lots of tasty food!  (I always offer half of my dinner, unless it's something cheap like hot dogs, burgers, or pizza.  Unless, of course, I get the feeling Anpu or anyone else wants to try it.  lol)  So, who has awesome steak recipes that they would like to share?  :3

 
I usually eat my steak unseasoned because I love the meat flavor and I eat it rare so there is lots of blood, but when I do season it I either soak it in lemon juice for about 30 minutes or rub it down with some pesto (store bought or homemade which ever I have on hand) and throw it on the grill...both have never failed to impress my family...

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
1368 Views
Last post September 06, 2011, 02:28:55 am
by Liadine (dragonflyeyes)
5 Replies
1934 Views
Last post October 30, 2011, 11:23:51 am
by CinnamonBrooms
20 Replies
4436 Views
Last post December 13, 2011, 06:41:08 pm
by AradiaRose
14 Replies
2923 Views
Last post May 09, 2014, 10:44:28 am
by Indresh
18 Replies
1963 Views
Last post January 09, 2013, 09:06:38 pm
by Juniper

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal