Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: Food: cocktails  (Read 6622 times)

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
cocktails
« on: October 11, 2018, 03:42:16 pm »
Do you have a favorite cocktail? Or you don't like mixed drinks?

I love cocktails. My favorite is bloody mary, tomato juice and vodka. https://www.liquor.com/recipes/classic-bloody-mary/
I prefer vodka based cocktails  :) They are tasty! Vodka has a neutral taste and I can taste the fruit in the cocktail with the alcohol.   :D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:41:33 pm by RandallS »

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: cocktails
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 05:46:46 pm »

I love cocktails. My favorite is bloody mary, tomato juice and vodka. https://www.liquor.com/recipes/classic-bloody-mary/
I prefer vodka based cocktails  :) They are tasty! Vodka has a neutral taste and I can taste the fruit in the cocktail with the alcohol.   :D

I'm more of a red wine drinker (and I guess there's mulled wine, but that's nasty). In general I'm too lazy to put much effort into making a drink.

One thing I do like is cider with a splash of elderflower syrup. For a while there was a brand of cider that came pre-mixed, but it seems to have been discontinued. It came in a mixed pack with ginger-flavored cider which was like drinking apple pie - very tasty.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 09:15:05 pm »

A good margarita on the rocks. If that isn’t an option, a lime rickey is good. Mostly I drink my beer and my blackberry wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 02:18:36 am »
Do you have a favorite cocktail?

Part of me wants to take bartending classes, so I'm always experimenting.

In college I was fond of peach shcnapps, orange soda and a splash of vodka. Called it a "Fizzy Navel" as it was a variant on a fuzzy navel with soda instead of orange juice. You could probably adultify this without saccharine orange soda and add a splash of soda water to a regular fuzzy navel.

Vanilla vodka in root beer pairs nicely

When I'm ordering at a bar, I usually go for whiskey and diet coke. Or a nice red wine, depending on if I wanna be classy or get drunk. I also really enjoy amaretto sours (but no egg whites, ew),  and if there's something interesting on the menu I"ll go for that.

Oh! And absinthe. It's underappreciated and I wish more cocktails had it, it's delicious. 

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 03:03:41 pm »
A good margarita on the rocks. If that isn’t an option, a lime rickey is good. Mostly I drink my beer and my blackberry wine.

Love it!!!

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 03:08:38 pm »
I'm more of a red wine drinker (and I guess there's mulled wine, but that's nasty). In general I'm too lazy to put much effort into making a drink.

One thing I do like is cider with a splash of elderflower syrup. For a while there was a brand of cider that came pre-mixed, but it seems to have been discontinued. It came in a mixed pack with ginger-flavored cider which was like drinking apple pie - very tasty.
I like the effort.  :) I find all the recipes on the internet, I buy the ingredients and then the fun of fixing the drinks! It's better than cooking! And red wine, I love it  :)

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 03:48:00 pm »
Part of me wants to take bartending classes, so I'm always experimenting.

In college I was fond of peach shcnapps, orange soda and a splash of vodka. Called it a "Fizzy Navel" as it was a variant on a fuzzy navel with soda instead of orange juice. You could probably adultify this without saccharine orange soda and add a splash of soda water to a regular fuzzy navel.

Vanilla vodka in root beer pairs nicely

When I'm ordering at a bar, I usually go for whiskey and diet coke. Or a nice red wine, depending on if I wanna be classy or get drunk. I also really enjoy amaretto sours (but no egg whites, ew),  and if there's something interesting on the menu I"ll go for that.

Oh! And absinthe. It's underappreciated and I wish more cocktails had it, it's delicious.
while I was reading your post I wanted to ask you about absinthe!   :)
and sometimes I order Baileys. or Kahlua.
if I want to get drunk I drink shots, the quantity depends the brand etc. there is a very cheap vodka rachmaninoff that's strong. I get drunk with that lol.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 12:24:47 am »

Well, I strongly prefer undistilled beers and wines over spirits, but if I AM drinking spirits, I'm partial to rum.

I like Rum and Coke, and I like Pina Coladas.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 12:52:29 am »

I don't drink often, but when I do I'm rather partial to a Copper Camel, or if that's not available (or the weather is very hot), a Cape Cod.   I also do like absinthe,  though it's very strong, or an occasional glass of red wine, particularly merlot.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 02:22:43 am »

A bit of an addendum; since this is technically a mixed drink, but doesn't involve spirits, I didn't think to mention it.

I love black velvet. It's a mixture of dark ale, traditionally stout, with sparkling wine.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 06:59:04 pm »

Ooh... This is an area I know well and love!

When I'm out and about with my friends, I usually get either a Cranberry Vodka, or a Tequila Sunrise. I do love a good Rum & Coke, but after awhile, it gets a bit boring. Thus, I've been pushing my boundaries at home and when I'm at the bars/restaurants.

The last drink I had was a Cranberry Gin - 2 shots gin, 180 mL cranberry juice and 10 mL lemon juice. Really delicious, but the cranberry juice was a bit too much for me. I've also been on a Campari kick for some weeks now too, though that isn't everyone's cup of tea (so to speak).

When I'm not drinking mixed drinks, I do love whiskey, tequila, or bourbon on the rocks (or neat), OR go for my usual thing: glass of wine (not picky if it's red or white; though I prefer reds).
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 06:22:18 pm »
while I was reading your post I wanted to ask you about absinthe!   :)

Absinthe is great! It unfortunately is not brewed with a strong concentration of Thujone anymore, so it doesn't make you hallucinate. It DOES get you super, epic drunk though.

Taken straight the traditional way is a meditative ritual on it's own. You put the spoon and the sugar over the glass and patiently wait for the drip, and it's one of those slow processes that helps you appreciate the drink even more.

And if you're looking for cocktails with absinthe, you can't go wrong with a sazerac.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 09:36:22 pm »
Do you have a favorite cocktail?

My default is a vodka tonic, esp. in summer. Also, like Owl, I'll go for a margarita on the rocks. If I'm feeling truly festive (and ready to get drunk), it's the drink of the homeland: the Long Island iced tea (for the unfamiliar, there's no tea in it; it's all 5 of the white liquors--gin, rum, vodka, tequila, triple sec--with some sweet/sour syrup and a splash of coke).

Around the holidays, it's homemade eggnog spiked with rum (instead of bourbon or whatever; it's a Caribbean ancestry thing). Sometimes in the tropics or on summer vacation, I find a rum punch irresistible. Otherwise rum is for cooking--soaking raisins for rum raisin spice muffins, spiking apple compote--not for drinking.

I don't drink beer, so it's either wine (usually red) or hard liquor. Not a cocktail, but in wintertime, I'll settle in with a good scotch.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 02:31:41 am »
My default is a vodka tonic, esp. in summer. Also, like Owl, I'll go for a margarita on the rocks. If I'm feeling truly festive (and ready to get drunk), it's the drink of the homeland: the Long Island iced tea (for the unfamiliar, there's no tea in it; it's all 5 of the white liquors--gin, rum, vodka, tequila, triple sec--with some sweet/sour syrup and a splash of coke).

Around the holidays, it's homemade eggnog spiked with rum (instead of bourbon or whatever; it's a Caribbean ancestry thing). Sometimes in the tropics or on summer vacation, I find a rum punch irresistible. Otherwise rum is for cooking--soaking raisins for rum raisin spice muffins, spiking apple compote--not for drinking.

I don't drink beer, so it's either wine (usually red) or hard liquor. Not a cocktail, but in wintertime, I'll settle in with a good scotch.
Long Island ice teas are dangerous!!!  But that was almost 40 years ago, not one of my usual drinks.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 04:30:48 am »

Just looked it up. Not my cup of tea! (Pun intended!)

If I was going to drink that volume of spirits (which would be difficult), I would just use Rum and skip the Vodka, Gin, and Tequila. At which point it would just be a Rum and Coke with the ratios switched around.

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 285
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal