collapse
2019 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $650 (same as last year) to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 23 Aug 2019: $250 donated. Only $400 more needed to reach our minimum goal!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


Author Topic: FlameKeeping Oracle Cards  (Read 4456 times)

Devo

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 346
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
Re: FlameKeeping Oracle Cards
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 12:28:02 am »
Quote from: FierFlye;10725

The other thought I had is that the cards might be laid out landscape instead of portrait. That was just based off how the images are pictured in my head though. They seem more landscape images to me. What do you think?

 
I could see them being either. I wonder if landscape could make for a different/more interesting form of spreads... since it's not the normal format for a card spread.

hmmms.... I go ponder now.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

veggiewolf

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 3105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: FlameKeeping Oracle Cards
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 08:22:02 am »
Quote from: Devo;10729
I could see them being either. I wonder if landscape could make for a different/more interesting form of spreads... since it's not the normal format for a card spread.

hmmms.... I go ponder now.

-Devo

 
I'm now getting an idea for a spread based on landscape orientation...
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Fier

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Michigan
  • Posts: 820
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 7
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: FlameKeeping
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: FlameKeeping Oracle Cards
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 03:15:45 pm »
Quote from: Devo;10700
so would it be a good idea to potentially post different pictures of lanterns so we can pick one?

 
I picked up one of these yesterday at an antique store. :D:

I'm going to try lighting it later to see how it works. One of the air tubes has rusted through on the bottom, so I don't know how that will effect its burning. I also don't know if it will be too hot for indoor use, so I'm going to try it outside. If it's too hot I'll just put a candle in the globe.

Devo

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 346
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
Re: FlameKeeping Oracle Cards
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 05:46:54 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;10957
I picked up one of these yesterday at an antique store. :D:

I'm going to try lighting it later to see how it works. One of the air tubes has rusted through on the bottom, so I don't know how that will effect its burning. I also don't know if it will be too hot for indoor use, so I'm going to try it outside. If it's too hot I'll just put a candle in the globe.

 
That's cool looking too. too many lanterns that look good lol. I figure for now, while I'm doodling out ideas, I'll just leave it kind of vague until we come to more of a decision.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

TisiphoneSeraph

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 38
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 7
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Recon-Informed Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them/theirs
Re: FlameKeeping Oracle Cards
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 09:56:30 am »
Quote from: FierFlye;10725
I was thinking that the cards would be available for download and then one could print them off at home. I thought we could have 3 different sizes available, so that people could choose the size they felt the most comfortable with. The largest would be 4x6. (Then 3x5 and 3.5x2 'travel size'!)

The other thought I had is that the cards might be laid out landscape instead of portrait. That was just based off how the images are pictured in my head though. They seem more landscape images to me. What do you think?

 
How big are playing cards?
It would be nice to have a set that could be cut out and pasted on some old playing cards. I have a few decks that are missing cards and it would be a good way to use them.

Also, how is everyone else doing reading? Are you writing the names down? On index cards or...?
divination thoughts over at hillbilly oracle

Fier

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Michigan
  • Posts: 820
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 7
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: FlameKeeping
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: FlameKeeping Oracle Cards
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 09:59:34 am »
Quote from: TisiphoneSeraph;11425
How big are playing cards?
It would be nice to have a set that could be cut out and pasted on some old playing cards. I have a few decks that are missing cards and it would be a good way to use them.

 
Hmm..I'm not sure. The *perfect size* if you ask me, but unfortunately Avery didn't have 'playing card' paper. :D:

I have trouble handling the Rider-Waite tarot deck I have, the cards are just too big.

Devo

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 346
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
Re: FlameKeeping Oracle Cards
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 11:33:05 am »
Quote from: TisiphoneSeraph;11425
How big are playing cards?
It would be nice to have a set that could be cut out and pasted on some old playing cards. I have a few decks that are missing cards and it would be a good way to use them.

Also, how is everyone else doing reading? Are you writing the names down? On index cards or...?

 
Yeah, that's a good idea too. I had considered, if I printed my own out, to laminate them- so that way they'd be sturdy enough. I have to create some rough drafts before I can work with them, though. I'm still brainstorming ideas on how I would want hte cards to look before I submit them here. It might be interesting to have a couple different sets of the same cards- done in different styles. i.e. one being paper cut out style, inkblock style, art deco, photography only, etc etc. I'm having issues narrowing it down to just one look and feel :P

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

TisiphoneSeraph

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 38
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 7
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Recon-Informed Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them/theirs
Re: FlameKeeping Oracle Cards
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 11:59:03 am »
Quote from: Devo;11442
Yeah, that's a good idea too. I had considered, if I printed my own out, to laminate them- so that way they'd be sturdy enough. I have to create some rough drafts before I can work with them, though. I'm still brainstorming ideas on how I would want hte cards to look before I submit them here. It might be interesting to have a couple different sets of the same cards- done in different styles. i.e. one being paper cut out style, inkblock style, art deco, photography only, etc etc. I'm having issues narrowing it down to just one look and feel :P

-Devo

 
I really like the idea of having the same cards in different styles. Seeing as this deck is pretty personal to those who use it, the different art may help. If possible, you could even have individual cards available for download so if one card speaks more to someone in one style they can mix and match.
divination thoughts over at hillbilly oracle

Devo

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 346
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
Re: FlameKeeping Oracle Cards
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 01:07:45 pm »
Quote from: TisiphoneSeraph;11448
I really like the idea of having the same cards in different styles. Seeing as this deck is pretty personal to those who use it, the different art may help. If possible, you could even have individual cards available for download so if one card speaks more to someone in one style they can mix and match.

 
Yeah, the question more is- do we combine the styles into one deck, or have different styles of all of the cards that people can choose from? With multiple decks, that allows more people to input to the art of the cards, which I also think is good.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Helmsman_of_Inepu

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 159
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: FlameKeeping Oracle Cards
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 10:10:14 am »
Quote from: FierFlye;11426
Hmm..I'm not sure. The *perfect size* if you ask me, but unfortunately Avery didn't have 'playing card' paper. :D:

 
If you have a printer with a relatively straight path, you can print on some fairly heavy card stock. I like the laminating idea though. A lot of ink/paper combinations don't "handle" well.

If there's a black-outline version of the cards, some people might want to paint them themselves. I'd probably pyrograph mine, and do watercolors or gouache over that.
Kemetic Reconaissance blog.
ShrineBeautiful blog. Inspiring, enchanting sacred spaces.
FlameKeeping- Open Source Spirituality!

veggiewolf

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 3105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: FlameKeeping Oracle Cards
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 10:29:05 am »
Quote from: FierFlye;11426
Hmm..I'm not sure. The *perfect size* if you ask me, but unfortunately Avery didn't have 'playing card' paper. :D:

I have trouble handling the Rider-Waite tarot deck I have, the cards are just too big.


I did find paper for playing cards here.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Devo

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 346
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
Re: FlameKeeping Oracle Cards
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 10:48:14 am »
Quote from: Helmsman_of_Inepu;11965
If you have a printer with a relatively straight path, you can print on some fairly heavy card stock. I like the laminating idea though. A lot of ink/paper combinations don't "handle" well.

If there's a black-outline version of the cards, some people might want to paint them themselves. I'd probably pyrograph mine, and do watercolors or gouache over that.


The outline format is a good idea. Man, too many ideas spinning in my head lol.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Katefox

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 127
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: FlameKeeping Oracle Cards
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 11:57:34 am »
Quote from: Helmsman_of_Inepu;11965
If you have a printer with a relatively straight path, you can print on some fairly heavy card stock. I like the laminating idea though. A lot of ink/paper combinations don't "handle" well.

If there's a black-outline version of the cards, some people might want to paint them themselves. I'd probably pyrograph mine, and do watercolors or gouache over that.

 
It also gives an option for people who don't have access to colour printing.  If there's an outline version, they can print the cards, and colour them themselves.  Might also be nice for people wanting to have more personalised cards, but not much skill in the way of drawing.

Fier

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Michigan
  • Posts: 820
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 7
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: FlameKeeping
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: FlameKeeping Oracle Cards
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 11:59:28 am »
Quote from: Helmsman_of_Inepu;11965

If there's a black-outline version of the cards, some people might want to paint them themselves.


I like this idea too.

JuniperMorgan

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 197
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://courtneygalloway.wordpress.com/
Re: FlameKeeping Oracle Cards
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 02:35:13 pm »
Quote from: Katefox;11994
It also gives an option for people who don't have access to colour printing.  If there's an outline version, they can print the cards, and colour them themselves.  Might also be nice for people wanting to have more personalised cards, but not much skill in the way of drawing.

 
I have no real skill at drawing - certainly not enough to do justice to this kind of project.  But I LOVE to color!  It's one of the things I started allowing myself to do again because it refills the well and nuture's my inner child and my flame.
You can also find my ramblings at my blog although I\'m not the best at regular updates.  I\'m working on fixing that. Or look for me on FB here or Google+ here. :)

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
5999 Views
Last post October 29, 2012, 03:40:11 am
by Elementalist
4 Replies
1079 Views
Last post June 01, 2014, 01:11:18 am
by Freesia
30 Replies
4908 Views
Last post June 17, 2014, 01:07:22 am
by Emma Eldritch
12 Replies
3102 Views
Last post January 02, 2015, 06:47:18 pm
by habbalah
0 Replies
1503 Views
Last post November 02, 2016, 07:54:33 am
by Eevee

Special Interest Group

Warning: You are currently in a Special Interest Group on the message board with special rules and focused discussions.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 24
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall