Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Baby Steps and Spring Cleaning  (Read 15270 times)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: Baby Steps and Spring Cleaning
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2013, 08:00:12 pm »
Quote from: Juni;104666
Cleaning anxiety is one of the things I've been talking about in therapy- my big issues seem to be a) feeling overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of what needs to get done and b) not knowing where to start, because each thing seems to need something else done first. My therapist and I identified emptying out my closet as a good first step, so I am aiming to have at least started it by my next session (...which is in two days, crap) and to have it at least halfway done, if not completely done, by the following session. We'll see how it goes! (Note to self: breathe!)

Good luck with that. It sounds like it should be an achievable goal!

I unpacked the last box last night, and we found someone on Craigslist who should be coming by to take them away this evening, and that'll be a huge improvement in the kitchen. None of the rooms are perfect yet, but it definitely feels "moved in" and that's a great feeling. :)

Next up - PAINT SAMPLES for the walls! I've never lived somewhere I could paint before.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 08:01:15 pm by Jack »
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Baby Steps and Spring Cleaning
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2013, 02:08:47 am »
Quote from: Jack;104674
I unpacked the last box last night, and we found someone on Craigslist who should be coming by to take them away this evening, and that'll be a huge improvement in the kitchen. None of the rooms are perfect yet, but it definitely feels "moved in" and that's a great feeling. :)

Next up - PAINT SAMPLES for the walls! I've never lived somewhere I could paint before.

Exciting!

SJ has gone a bit haywire (in bursts) with the cleaning/throwing out thing. We've put a lot of things on Freecycle (don't know if you have that over the pond - it's a community thing where you tell an email list 'I have a set of plates and bowls to give away' and then you get a thousand requests for them and randomly pick someone who comes to take all your crap away. It's awesome). So far we have a fully reorganised kitchen, a half-sorted living room, and my office is beginning to feel like somewhere I can work rather than a dumping ground.

Now I just have to deal with the absolute horror that is paperwork and filing of the enormous piles of paper that I allow to build up for literally years because official stuff scares me. Starting that today. Oh dear...
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2013, 06:31:32 am »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;104688
Exciting!

SJ has gone a bit haywire (in bursts) with the cleaning/throwing out thing. We've put a lot of things on Freecycle (don't know if you have that over the pond - it's a community thing where you tell an email list 'I have a set of plates and bowls to give away' and then you get a thousand requests for them and randomly pick someone who comes to take all your crap away. It's awesome). So far we have a fully reorganised kitchen, a half-sorted living room, and my office is beginning to feel like somewhere I can work rather than a dumping ground.

Now I just have to deal with the absolute horror that is paperwork and filing of the enormous piles of paper that I allow to build up for literally years because official stuff scares me. Starting that today. Oh dear...

{{{Sophia}}}

I hate paperwork too. Luckily, I sorted mine a couple of weeks ago, so I don't have to do it again (for a while, at least).

Over the weekend I sorted out all my books and did the horrible part- I got rid of some.... I hate doing that. I think it's against my religion. Or, if it isn't, it darned well should be!!

I just completed the last big job in my office- I stripped down my altar, cleaned it all down, cleaned the daggers, the statues and ALL of the crystals, and then put it all back again in a new order. Looks good but now I'm absolutely knackered again.....
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2013, 08:49:17 am »
Cleaning anxiety is one of the things I've been talking about in therapy- my big issues seem to be a) feeling overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of what needs to get done and b) not knowing where to start, because each thing seems to need something else done first.

I have never experienced anxiety per se (in that one can feel overwhelmed without feeling anxiety - overwhelmed and depressed, though...) about it, but otherwise, THIS.

I need a pocket universe to stash the stuff I'm going to keep from whatever spot I started with, so I can use that spot to sort/stash the stuff from the next spot, and so on. Ad infinitum....

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2013, 09:19:19 am »
Cleaning anxiety is one of the things I've been talking about in therapy- my big issues seem to be a) feeling overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of what needs to get done and b) not knowing where to start, because each thing seems to need something else done first. My therapist and I identified emptying out my closet as a good first step, so I am aiming to have at least started it by my next session (...which is in two days, crap) and to have it at least halfway done, if not completely done, by the following session. We'll see how it goes! (Note to self: breathe!)

(((((Juni)))))

The husband went through this over the weekend.  We've gotten a storage unit, as we need to demolish our shed (LONG STORY - I'm happy to tell it, but not in this post) and he decided to put some things from the basement into it also.  Good news - we were able to have maintenance on our furnace/oil burner because there was room for the guys to come out.  Bad news - husband is in a shame spiral over the amount of things he's collected over the years and I have a hole in my tongue because I don't want to mention telling him so.

I'm SO glad I have therapy today.

So, the goal for this week is - get the downstairs in enough shape that my mother doesn't give me shit.  She's feeding my kitties this weekend while we go visit the boy at college.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2013, 12:48:37 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;102059
Like a bunch of other people, I'm thinking about starting my spring cleaning.  Like a bunch of people, I'm dreading the actual doing and don't actually know where to start.  So, I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we could talk about what needs to be done during a spring clean, share ideas, and maybe track our baby steps toward unfucking our habitats.

So, what are you planning for spring cleaning?  Have you started?  How are you prioritizing, and what have you done today?

Today, I moved my dresser from my grandma's garage, where it had been stored since I moved out of my roommate's house a year ago, into my apartment. I put all the clothes in it, hung up what didn't belong in the dresser, organized my perfume bottles on top (of which I have WAY TOO MANY), and turned the plastic storage cart I'd been using for clothing storage into linen storage, so my clean towels/sheets/etc are all put away. My apartment needs a lot more unfucking, but that's what I managed today.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2013, 01:08:03 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;105334
Today, I moved my dresser from my grandma's garage, where it had been stored since I moved out of my roommate's house a year ago, into my apartment. I put all the clothes in it, hung up what didn't belong in the dresser, organized my perfume bottles on top (of which I have WAY TOO MANY), and turned the plastic storage cart I'd been using for clothing storage into linen storage, so my clean towels/sheets/etc are all put away. My apartment needs a lot more unfucking, but that's what I managed today.

Nice, Stephy! That's a lot for one day. Wish I were that productive....

Best I could do this weekend was to paint the kitchen (with lots of help from Noel- he does the main part with the roller and I get to do ALL the edges). We are going to paint the living room this week (biggest job of the lot really) and try to get that out of the way. Then, it's Elizabeth's bedroom and then.....that's pretty much it. Oh, apart from my drawers and wardrobe in my bedroom again. But they always need redoing. Not sure how they always seem to get untidy- I only just did them......:confused:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:08:51 am by Dark Midnight »
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2013, 01:19:35 am »

Dang, Stephy, that's pretty impressive for just one day. Awesome job!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2013, 01:21:45 am »
Quote from: Dark Midnight;105339
Nice, Stephy! That's a lot for one day. Wish I were that productive....

Best I could do this weekend was to paint the kitchen (with lots of help from Noel- he does the main part with the roller and I get to do ALL the edges). We are going to paint the living room this week (biggest job of the lot really) and try to get that out of the way. Then, it's Elizabeth's bedroom and then.....that's pretty much it. Oh, apart from my drawers and wardrobe in my bedroom again. But they always need redoing. Not sure how they always seem to get untidy- I only just did them......:confused:

You're doing better than me! I still need to get the paint sampler up on the bedroom wall so we can make sure we like the color. Then we need to do the actual painting.

We made a lot of progress in the craft room this weekend, though, and what I have been focusing on is maintenance - sweeping what needs swept, washing what needs washed, and so on. I still have plenty of INVISIBLE MUGS but thanks to my checklists I'm getting better at looking for invisible mugs that I can't see.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2013, 02:34:03 pm »

Woo!  That's awesome!

I...was visiting the boy all weekend in Boston, but I remembered to drop the dirty laundry at the top of the stairs when we came home.  Does that count?

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2013, 02:58:28 pm »
Quote from: Dark Midnight;104697
{{{Sophia}}}

I hate paperwork too. Luckily, I sorted mine a couple of weeks ago, so I don't have to do it again (for a while, at least).

I did the paperwork! And my office is all-but-done. So is the bathroom. These were the worst rooms, so I feel progress has been made, even if not much else gets done.

I've been so inspired by seeing other people's spring cleaning updates. Disturbing effects, too.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2013, 03:11:26 pm »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;105484
I did the paperwork! And my office is all-but-done. So is the bathroom. These were the worst rooms, so I feel progress has been made, even if not much else gets done.

I've been so inspired by seeing other people's spring cleaning updates. Disturbing effects, too.

I got the dishwasher unloaded, got the books put away, and am working on unfucking the kitchen. Yay!
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2013, 07:33:47 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;104668
I'm currently doing some 20/10s (actually, should get back to it right now) in trying to clean up my room. My goal for today is to make the floor empty enough that I can properly vacuum it. And hopefully get some laundry folded and another load going. Keeping up on laundry is hard. :/

Gunna hook my progress onto previous posts because why not. It'll help me keep track.

So last night I finally got things sorted enough to be able to vacuum my floor (a week late, but it's done!). I managed to get all the laundry done (and new stuff is piling up -- how does that work?), I cleaned both sides of the floor next to my desk (so left and right) and put stuff away, or trashed/recycled them. Also inadvertently I had a friend come over to help me move the box with our Christmas tree into a closet because it had been tossed onto MY pile of stuff (because apparently I have no right to have stuff un-molested in this house?); what ended up happening was a bunch of stuff in my pile got re-sorted into boxes, had stuff recycled/thrown out, and have started a rather large-ish donation pile that will get taken somewhere (haven't figured out where yet). The tree box was then closed PROPERLY and put up neatly with the rest of my boxes.

Still have more stuff to do. I think I might tackle cleaning out my shrine "cabinet" (really a drawer and an open bottom space of a bedside table) and weeding out what's necessary and what isn't.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Fausta

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2013, 12:15:04 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;105536
Still have more stuff to do.

Spring cleaning apparently caused the house to be too clean, so I began ripping off wood paneling from our kitchen/dining room. :p

Original 50/60's walls seem to be in good order this far, in need of a smoother surface to top it of course (thinking of a kind of blank wallpaper made for situations like ours). There might be a door somewhere hidden in one wall, let's see what I find. :D:

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2013, 12:43:59 pm »
Quote from: Fausta;105628
Spring cleaning apparently caused the house to be too clean, so I began ripping off wood paneling from our kitchen/dining room. :p

Original 50/60's walls seem to be in good order this far, in need of a smoother surface to top it of course (thinking of a kind of blank wallpaper made for situations like ours). There might be a door somewhere hidden in one wall, let's see what I find. :D:

This is, of course, the problem with a clean house.  F'ex, my upstairs hallway is immaculate, but every time I open the linen closet I notice a major contrast.

Time to empty the closet!

Tags: