collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Shattered  (Read 1369 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Shattered
« on: August 21, 2017, 01:18:27 pm »
Title: Shattered
(Fiction: Adult)
Author(s): Kevin Hearne
Publisher: Del Rey
Publication Date: March 2015
ISBN: 0345548507
ISBN-13: 978-0345548504
Current Price and More Info from Amazon

Description:
For nearly two thousand years, only one Druid has walked the Earth—Atticus O’Sullivan, the Iron Druid, whose sharp wit and sharp sword have kept him alive as he’s been pursued by a pantheon of hostile deities. Now he’s got company.

Atticus’s apprentice Granuaile is at last a full Druid herself. What’s more, Atticus has defrosted an archdruid long ago frozen in time, a father figure (of sorts) who now goes by the modern equivalent of his old Irish name: Owen Kennedy.

And Owen has some catching up to do.

Atticus takes pleasure in the role reversal, as the student is now the teacher. Between busting Atticus’s chops and trying to fathom a cell phone, Owen must also learn English. For Atticus, the jury’s still out on whether the wily old coot will be an asset in the epic battle with Norse god Loki—or merely a pain in the arse.

But Atticus isn’t the only one with daddy issues. Granuaile faces a great challenge: to exorcise a sorcerer’s spirit that is possessing her father in India. Even with the help of the witch Laksha, Granuaile may be facing a crushing defeat.

As the trio of Druids deals with pestilence-spreading demons, bacon-loving yeti, fierce flying foxes, and frenzied Fae, they’re hoping that this time, three’s a charm.

Special Notes:
none

Legal Notes: Some description text and item pictures in this post may come from Amazon.com and/or the book itself.

Discussion and reviews of this book are welcome in this thread. If you've read the book, please tell us what you think of it and why.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Re: Shattered
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 01:58:35 pm »
I just had to read the summary to remember what happened in this book. With this series I often have problems to discern one volume from the other. Things seem to happen so fast and they all start where the last volume ended and end with loose threads - but those get tied up in later volumes.

I like to have Owen's view on the story as well and I loved to have more background on Granuaille. I was fascinated by the Yeti story...and I wonder what will happen with Loki in the next volume.

I can't say this volume was my favourite, but it's fun to read and has a lot of suspence and action as always.

Regarding favourites...what stands out for me is the volume where Coyote played his games with Atticus ("Tricked"), that one was very interesting and funny.

I also really like the short stories, they're often better than the novels because they focus on one thing and aren't such a sequence of events. The novels often feel like action movies (good ones though, but sometimes I think it's too much).

Has anyone else read it?

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 272
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal